Love Has Forgotten Me

The Thin Line Between You and Him

Jonghyun's POV

I sighed once more and turned my chair round and round in deep thought. I tried to enjoy the view from my office but this nasal voice kept me from enjoying anything.

"-I just think that you were being a bit too harsh." Key continued in his never ending lecture. As much as I want to hang up the phone, I knew better too. I swear, Key sounds even more naggy in loudspeaker.

"Then what about what she did? She can't expect me to actually want to see her after all this time!" I yelled and turned my chair back around.

"Why are you rising your voice at me?" Key yelled back.

"I'm just-annoyed! She comes back and suddenly everything is about her again. Can we stop talking about this?"

"Jonghyun! I just don't think you should be acting so harsh. I mean, if you see her again, you shouldn't-"

"See her again? What are you trying to say?"

"I'm just trying to say that when such a someone you love knocks on your door, you shouldn't shoo her away, you embrace her."

"What-" I asked Key in confusion at his perplexing statement, but was interrupted by the knocking on my office door.

"Just do what I say." Key sighed and then disconnected the call. The door opened when Key hung up and a familiar figure walked in through the doors.

"Annyoaseyo, I'm-"

"Na Na?" I squinted my eyes and asked her. I let out an I-can't-believe-this sigh and laughed.

"J-Jonghyun?" Na Na looked at me with wide eyes.

"Yah, you're good. You pretend to be all clueless when really, you're trying to cling on to me with this job."

"It's not like I knew you were the boss!"

"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! I'm pretty sure my name is bolded on top of the job application. Not to mention, the job interview-"

"I didn't do either of those things." Na Na hung her head high and retorted.

"Bwoh? How can- Ah… so it's like that." I hissed when I thought of what Key said earlier. A realization hit me. Key's perhaps right… Maybe I shouldn't shoo her away. But, I'm not going to embrace her… I'm just going to not shoo her away. It'll be fun to boss her around I wonder how Key's so good at coming up with these metaphors. It's a bit scary.

"But since neither of us knew about this, I'll just-"

"Ani!" I stood up and told her. Na Na turned with this stunned face that I couldn't help but smile at inside.

"What is it?"

"Is this how you're going to treat your new boss? Now, go and get me a cup of coffee, my little assistant." I ordered and Na Na just looked purely confused.

"But-"

"Don't you know how inconvenient it'd be for me to find another assistant in such short notice?" I lied smoothly. Na Na just bit her lips and turned, leaving out the door. I smirked when she left the room. I rolled my chair to the door and watched Na Na through the big windows beside it. I'm so glad I paid for these tinted windows. I watched as Na Na walk to the kitchen but bit my lips as soon as I saw this blonde guy looking at Na Na's way. Have I ever mentioned how much I don't like blondes?

I rolled back to my desk and was about to yell at Na Na to come back through the office loudspeakers, but I stopped myself when I noticed a piece of paper on my desk. I chuckled and grabbed a pen, then began scribbling on the piece of paper.

                                                                                                

Na Na's POV

I sighed when I was put to get coffee for Jonghyun, again. He keeps complaining that the coffee doesn't taste the way coffee should. It was weird though, he send me out without even trying the coffee . I huffed angrily and glared at the fifth batch I was put to make, then stirring the thing with quite the force. But to be smart, I made three cups of coffee instead of just one, so Jonghyun could just try them all and pick which he likes.

"You're new I'm guessing. I'll just warn you, it won't get any easier." someone tapped my back and told me. I turned and saw quite the handsome gentlemen in a nice and fashionable suit.

"Why would you say that?" I asked the guy, even though I was sure on the answer.

"He's not the nicest when it comes to girls, and his assistance are sadly girls for some reason. But I must say, you must have gotten on his bad side.  Jonghyun is usually nice to his assistance at first, and then gets all demanding. I'm Amber by the way. Hope we can be friends." the guy then reached his hand out.

"Amber? I'm Na Na." I introduced and shook the reached out hand with a smile.

"Amber is a girl name, I know. I'm a girl." Amber shook her head nonchalantly.

"I'll be honest and say I thought-"

"It's fine, I'm used to it. Here, why don't I help you take this to his office?" Amber suggested and took two of the three coffee cups.

"Na Na? COFFEE!" the loudspeaker shook with Jonghyun's voice just a little before I reached Jonghyun's office. I bit my lips and bowed my head down in embarrassment.

"It's alright, you know? We're all used to that voice on this level. We kind of just tune him out. But it's funny when someone from another department visit this floor." Amber chuckled and told me, making me laugh a bit.

"Is that so? Here, I can take this now." I smiled and took the three cups of coffee. I walked into Jonghyun's office and placed all three of them on his desk.

"Sign this. Every assistant of mine signs this when they starts to work." Jonghyun passed me a piece of paper along with a pen. I looked at Jonghyun and then at the paper. It was a neatly typed contract with some scribbles here and there.

Rules You Are Obliged to Adhere to Whilst Under the Employment of KIM JONGHYUN

  1. You will pickup your phone when I call, whenever for whatever.
  2. Your work starts when I wake up.
  3. Sick days are nonexistent in my book.
  4. When I ask your to do something, you are to do it with no questions asked.
  5. Any facts of my personal life you are to encounter mustn't be reveled to anyone.
  6. I am not your friend, so don't acknowledge me as one. And don't fall for me.

       (And then in Jonghyun's handwriting)

  1. Relationships within the office are forbidden, so don't even think about it!
  2. You are not to tell anyone about our...past rendezvous.
  3. Don't-in any way-mess with my relationship with MY lovely Haejin.

I accept these terms of agreement and understand I will be fired with any violations to them.

                                                                                                        _______________________________

 

"I had to make a bit of a revision with it, since you know… us. But I'm sure they're pretty reasonable." Jonghyun explained. I just nodded at the thing and signed it, wondering how many of his assistants were able to put up with all of his rules.

"Just to let you know, all of them are fired for number 6. But I'll make you an exception as long as you just get over it." Jonghyun said after I signed it. I just nodded and smiled. As much as I do miss him and want him back, I'll get over him as he had ask since  Jonghyun's has already moved on. I knew working here would hurt a bit, but my I'd rather see him happy then forget all about him. Plus, I've dealt with Jonghyun before, so the job won't be so hard.

I take back what I've said. Weeks passed and I swear, and Jonghyun's yelled my name more than I could count. But the work actually wasn’t the hardest part; I would have to see Jonghyun with Haejin. She's not as sweet as Jonghyun sees her, but she's not too bad. What girl doesn't act different in front of their boyfriend? My heart aches when I see her visit him in his office, and he would give her a quick kiss, then order me to cancel all of his plans for the day. It feels even worse when I turn nonexistent  when Haejin comes. I knew it'd be better for me to not watch, but I've concluded that I might get over Jonghyun quicker feeling this way.

Since Jonghyun was out on another date with Haejin, I started scrolling through the long list of apartments for rent. I don't currently have a home, so I need to buy one before my mom comes bad. This job pays quiet well, so my budget opens more option for a nicer home, making it harder for me to make a decision.

"What are you doing?" someone whispered in my ears. I was a bit shocked and jumped a little, then turning to see Key's smug smirk.

"Looking for an apartment. Yah, don't do that." I huffed and Key just shrugged his shoulders and cocked his head back and forth.

"Is Jonghyun in his office?" Key asked and pointed to the doors across from my desk.

"Jonghyun's on a date." I replied, causing Key to frown a bit.

"I'm sorry. He's being a little inconsiderate isn't he? But, other than that, how is the job?"

"It's okay. But I keep wondering how I was offered me the job…They said something about my school offering a sort of summer job but it didn't sound right. " I bit my lips and told him. I looked at Key and he just chuckled in this weird high pitch voice.

"Who knows? Apartment, you said? Where are you living now?" Key changed the subject.

"In a motel." I replied and turned back to the website.

"Ew. That' won't do… stay with me!" Key suggested and I just shook my head.

"I don't-"

"It'd be fun! And it's just until you find another place! It's a great idea, isn't it?  Come on! Let's get your stuff now!" Key grabbed me and got my stuff.

"I have work and-"

"Don't worry. If you get in trouble, I'll deal with it. Now let's go!" Key laughed and pulled me out.

"Na Na! Where are you-" Amber looked at me as I was dragged by Key.

"Tell Jonghyun I'm with Key if he comes back."

After Key got my stuff, I gave up refusing his offer and just did as he wanted. I walked into Key's fancy apartment and the first thing I noticed was a big collage-like wall filled with pictures. I walked towards it and chuckled. There were even pictures of me. One was the time during winter break, and we went skiing. It was after I confessed to Jonghyun and so he had a tight grasp around me in the picture while Key and Taemin fought to be in the center of the picture, along with Onew's dorky smile and Minho's calm smile. I laughed when I noticed some of their pictures from when they were kids. There was even a picture of little Key with his infamous pink bullhorn.

"Jonghyun hates that wall. He barely looks at it." Key chuckled and pointed to the picture of little Jonghyun and Onew singing with a soda can. I then glared at this one particular picture of Key and Onew, smiling with Jonghyun and I in  the background. I recalled this day as the one where I took Jonghyun on a date on white day.

"Yah, isn't this on white day? Why are you guys-"

"Let me show you your room." Key's laughed and pulled me away from the wall. Key pushed me into an empty room and told me to use it for now. The room was a nice green and I took a seat on the big and comfortable bed. It wasn't until a little while that I started to fill the empty closet with my stuff.

"NA NA? CAN YOU MAKE ME THOSE COMMONER NOODLES?" I heard Key whine loudly, making me roll my eyes before doing as he asked. I walked outside and rummaged through his high end but confusing kitchen, finding a bunch of ramen.

"Do you eat a lot of these?" I turned and pointed to the box.

"We try. But they never taste right." Key scrunched his nose and sat on the kitchen counter.

"We?" I questioned with a look. Key didn't tell me he had a roommate. I'm praying it'd be Onew, Taemin or Minho, but I knew it was no use the second the door opened with an oblivious Jonghyun.

"Key, do you remember where I put my- Na Na! Why-KEY!" Jonghyun glared and the both of us and huffed.

"She's my guest. Oh, and she lives here now." Key smiled and swung his feet back and forth from the counter.

"YAH! How many times do I have to remind you that I pay rent too? Didn't you learn your lesson after that other time you tried to paint our living room pink?"

"And you said I wasn't allowed to make any more creative decisions on my own. Now I'm just helping out my friend from the goodness of my heart. Na Na's homeless-"

"I'm not-"I tried but Key put his finger on my lips.

"Shh, Na Na. Now, I'm just going to over rule whatever you're going to say. Na Na is staying here. You can whine about it or eat with us." Key decided and Jonghyun scratched his head, then silently going over to the table. After I finished making the food, we ate and sat in silence as we ate. It was quite awkward. I was avoiding eye contact with Jonghyun and he was probably doing the same

"Yah, can't you guys act normal? You guys just broke up. It's not a big deal." Key began, and I looked up to see an angry Jonghyun.

"You guys are just too alike! It is a big deal! The both of you make rash decisions without me, thinking I'll just go along with whatever. You left all of the sudden and now you live with me? As if I don’t see you enough, letting you keep the job and all. I was nice enough to let you keep the job and now you're just taking an advantage of my kindness! You're as selfish as the day I left your door."

"So just because I fell in love with you, I'd have to give up everything for you? Yes, I left, but it wasn't like I would never come back. We don't always have to be together to love each other. You just didn't want to wait for me, and I'm fine with that. But you don't have to go on and hold this grudge as though it was all my fault."

"And it's mine? I'm not angry that you left anymore! I'm over it! All of it! But I'm angry that you came back, trying to ruin my life again! I'm sick of it. I'm sick of seeing that necklace on you, reminding me of all the lies you pulled me into."

"Is that what you've deluded yourself into thinking? And I don't appreciate calling me a liar." I huffed, then standing up to walk away from him. I was angry. Angry that he was so angry with me. Angry that we're arguing. Angry that he could accuse me to such a thing. I was so angry that my tears just started pouring out. I bit my lips hard and wiped them away before walking out the door.

                                                                                                                               

Jonghyun's POV

"I know you are going to regret that if she doesn't come back." Key said out of all the sudden. I shot him a glare and just rubbed my neck in annoyance.

"What do you know?"

"I know you still have that ring in your wallet." Key laughed.

"Shut up." I hissed and look away.

"If you don't go after her, she'd never come back. And then-"

"I got it-I got it." I tsked, getting annoyed at his constant nagging. I went outside our apartment and the first place I thought to go was the rooftop. As I got closer up, I heard a small whimpering noise. I sighed. Even after two years, my heart aches when I hear her cry.

"Stop it." I tried to sound cold and consoling at the same time. I put my hand on her shoulder and patted her a bit. I was a bit surprised when Na Na took my hand.

"Here-" Na Na sniffed and put something cold in my hand. She pushed my hand away and I opened it to see the necklace I referred to earlier.

"Na Na, you don't-"

"You're right. I shouldn't still be wearing it. Give it to Haejin, someone you love."

"I gave it to you, you keep it-"

"It's alright. You should have it back. It's probably better this way. I'll make it easier for me to move on. It's weird because I sometimes still feel like I'm yours when I look at this." Na Na sniffed again with her face turned. I bit my lips in order to prevent myself from saying something I don't want to say and just tighten my grasp of the necklace anyways. Why did I want to hear that even though I knew it would hurt so much?

"I-just, don't leave though." I tried to find the right words. I want to apologize but my pride prevented me from doing so.

"Why don't we just start over then? I'll be the Na Na that you first met and you be the Jonghyun I first met. We'd treat each other as roommates and co-workers. We'd just pretend that none of what happened between us never existed." Na Na sniffed one last time before getting up. I wanted to grab her hand and prevent her from leaving, but I was just so angry at what she said. Is it that easy for her to forget?

"Roommates and co-worker?" I laughed to myself bitterly. How come I don't like the sound of that?

I looked at the necklace in my hand and hung it around my fingers. I tried hard to throw the thing away, so that I would never see it again, but the necklace ended up in my wallet too, along with the other thing I couldn't throw away.

--------------------------------------------

I write a lot don't I? One of my chapters was like 11 pages... I was quite shocked when I found that out. I never thought they were that long. In my head, Instead of writing a chapter to a story, I'm imagining an episode to an hour long drama. But i hope it doesn't take you an hour to read it.... Hope you don't get bored~~~ PS... I think Nichkhun will be back. I almost forgot about him...