Portraits of Us

The Thin Line Between You and Him

Jonghyun's POV

I smiled brightly as I looked at the nice green box in my locker. So is this why I couldn't pick Na Na up today? I picked it up and admire the nice packaging. It was light tea green with a brown ribbon.  It stood out from all the Godiva, Ladurée, Pierre Hermé, Ghirardelli, and other expensive boxes in my locker. They don't compare next to the nice green one, which is the only one I'd be eating-well maybe the Pierre Hermés, they're delicious. I opened the Pierre Hermé box and found macaroons! Okay, let's keep those. They take forever to ship when I order them and the macaroons look so delicious. Well so is the Ladurée… Godiva is pretty good too. Ghirardelli is okay. I looked at all the chocolate in my locker. My mouth kind of watered. Na Na's green one is the best but there is only one box… It wouldn't hurt to keep them for future munching.

But I'd just only eat Na Na's today. I opened the green box and found chocolates with J's on them. There's…12 in the box so I think they'd last me a day if I tried hard enough. No more than 2 an hour, I want to be able to carry them around all day. Well, this is the first hour so I chunked one in my mouth. I took the box with me and walked to class. This is good. I just shook my head and took another one.

I walked into first period with such happiness, but then I remembered. I sit next to her. I took a seat next to her but didn't look at her. Na Na was outside the classroom and I couldn't help but noticed the guy next to her-the Thai guy next to her. He had a what seems like chocolates from Na Na. I would have been angrier but his was smaller, so ha!

"Jonghyun!" I heard a voice called out.

"Wae?" I turned to where the voice came from-Krystal. I scold, how could I have not known just by the annoying tone.

"We should get together today, you know, to finish this." Krystal smiled.

"Uh, no."

"Why not?"

"It's Valentines Day." I scoffed.

"I'm glad you remember. Than let's not beat around the bush, I think-"

I laughed a little and held my hand up. I was about to say something but I scoffed again.

"I think I know what you're about to say, Just stop. I'm embarrassed for you." I chuckled.

"I don't think you do know what I was going to say, because you surely would not be reacting like this." Krystal smiled and reached for my hands. I scoffed and pulled my hands away quickly.

"Do you not know shame Krystal?" I laughed and Krystal opened in shock.

"Excuse me? What-what happened to you?" Krystal asked with wide eyes.

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't you see? I'm here now so let's-"

"Krystal, I don't want to get back together with you if that's what you're implying."

"Why not? We were so good-"

"What? Together? We're exactly alike!"

"That's exactly why we are so good together."

"No, it isn't! Do you actually want to spend your entire life-with-with yourself?"

"So what, just because we're alike we shouldn’t be together? If you honestly believe that opposites attract crap then wake up! This is real life, not a physics class. Opposites don't work. You and Na Na don't work."

"Na Na and I aren't opposites."

"Are you kidding me? I've never seen any two person that are so different."

"Well, I've changed. I've changed into someone not so different."

"Why don't you just change for me then?"

"Because Krystal, it's not how it works. I don't want to change for you."

"And you do for Na Na? You know, love shouldn't change you. You should like everything about your love and I do!"

"You don't love anyone! I'm not changing into a different person! I'm just changing my aspects and ways I do certain things."

"Then maybe we aren't so alike now, so-"

"No. Krystal. Don't you remember? I don't like you now! I have Na Na, my girlfriend. Someone  I-I…"

"What? Love? You can't even say it. I don't think you're capable to do such a thing. The same way I probably can't"

"Well, I'm learning to. With Na Na."

"I'm glad you're being so sweet and doing charity for those of less fortunate. But-"

"Don't call Na Na that. She is more fortunate than any of us here."

"Fine, if your brains been that damaged to think that. But lets face it. The girl is poor. She isn't like us."

"We're not that different."

"You honestly think your parents would think so."

"I'm sure they'd want someone like Na Na."

"Do you honestly think that?"

"After what's happened with you, mother stopped with the whole arrangement things. So, yes"

"Fine, whatever then. But she will never last in this world-our world."

"It's the same one. You just think so because you always had this weird need to feel special."

"I don’t-"

"Yes, you do. And I used to give you all the attention, probably why you were to attached. But now, I'm not. And you're just mad."

"It's more than that. I-I…"

"You said it yourself. You aren't capable to love, you don't love me."

"But I do like you. So, so much. If you'd give me-"

"No. Not another chance. You had years to ask for it but now-now is just too late."

"Jonghyun, I'm sorry. I know that and now I'm here. I'm here for you."

"No, I don't think you are. I think you were lonely and you just feel homesick. I'm that excuse your trying to tell yourself. I do ask that you don't meddle with my relationship. I'm happy now. You should be happy too... just not with me."

"Fine. I won't be doing anything." Krystal stated with a sigh.

                                                                                                            

Na Na's POV

I pursed my lips as I try to understand the movie… what? I pouted since I understood none of it. I continued looking at the movie until I felt something on my neck. I turned and saw Jonghyun kissing it. Of course. I rolled my eyes and pushed him away to the end. He's always like this.

"It's Valentines Day!" Jonghyun groaned.

"So?"

"Kiss." Jonghyun stated. I sighed. Fine. When Jonghyun sat up, I pecked his cheek, even though I knew he would not be satisfied. But surprisingly Jonghyun pointed to his cheek again. I leaned in to his cheek but Jonghyun childishly turned his head so I'd kiss him on the lip. I take the child thing back as soon as I felt Jonghyun's tongue nudging my lips.  I kissed Jonghyun for quite the time until I pushed him away.

"I'm hungry." I stated.

"Am I not enough?" Jonghyun joked earning a slight smack. Jonghyun pouted but took my hand. Jonghyun pulled me up and kissed my hand. I gave him a look but Jonghyun simply smiled cheekily and lead the way. I thought he was bringing me to the kitchen but nope. Jonghyun was going out the door? Maybe were going to the supermarket? But I figured I was wrong when Jonghyun started to cover my eyes and I felt myself walking up the stairs.

I felt Jonghyun took his hands off and I looked around. I opened my mouth a little in shock. The roof was transformed into this sparkly lighted place with...snow? I touched it but it actually wasn't.

"During that trip, I saw that you don't like the cold but you seem to like snow. This-this isn't snow. I know that. But I tried my best. Apparently you can't buy real snow, I was told I couldn’t ship snow either." Jonghyun said like it's the most uncommon thing ever. I laughed a little and rolled my eyes.

I continued looking around and saw the nice picnic laid out in the middle. There was a bench by it with the a wrapped present on it. There were plants and lights on it. I turned to look at Jonghyun and saw him holding a bouquets of flowers-no, not flowers. But chocolate?

"These are edible so you don't have to water them." Jonghyun smiled and handed me the chocolate bouquet. (http://www.love.com.my/images/chocolate/FerreroRocheBouquet02.jpg)

Jonghyun brought me to the picnic blanket and sat me down. I was looking around for a basket but none was at sight. Then there was a guy that popped up. It was a butler? He started putting the food on the floor and smiled, and I smiled back nervously not knowing who he is.

"Ignore him, he's just a moving prop that brings food." Jonghyun smiled and I glared at him.

"No offensive, of course. Mianh. " Jonghyun quickly added.

"It's all right Master Kim. Not the worse you've ever said, actually probably the nicest since you did apologize." the butler said that caused me to shoot Jonghyun a glare.

"He said I'm getting better! I'm working on it! Um, you look nice with that haircut, butler Lee."

"Alright, Master Kim," Butler Lee laughed, "it was nice meeting you too, Na Na-shi."

"Ah, d-deh." I replied and smiled. Butler Lee smiled before walking away.

I looked at the food in front of me and my mouth watered. Wah. I heard Jonghyun's chuckle before he started eating.

After the teasing, the eating and laughing. We layed down on our backs and stared up at the empty sky. Even though it was so empty, it was nice.

"Na Na." Jonghyun called out before sitting up.

Jonghyun turned to grab something and pulled me up along with. Jonghyun handed me the wrapped present. I opened it and saw a perfume? I looked at the nice round tea green bottle but realized that it wasn't just a regular one you'd get at the store. The bottle had Jonghyun and Na Na printed on it with the question mark heart. And under our name  was a date… I tried to remember the significance of it but realize that it was a few days before my break up with Khun….which was the first time me and Jonghyun met.

"Here, spray it." Jonghyun told me and I did. It smelled….it smelled nice. It wasn't like flowers...or fruits...or the teenage perfume stuff. It smelled...different.

 "I thought this would match you more than that other flower, fruit stuff you spray on. It's suppose you smell nice for different people so I'm glad it smells nice on you. It's suppose to have a hint of the cologne you gave me so we'd kind of have matching smells." Jonghyun smiled.

"Gomowa, Jonghyun. You never fail to woo me when it comes to this kind of stuff." I laughed a little.

"Really? So, I'm guessing this is worth a kiss?" Jonghyun asked playfully. I smiled and leaned in giving him a long one. I know I shouldn't be so happy at such a probably expensive gift, but I couldn't help it and feel so warm at his thoughtfulness.

"Mmm. As much as I like to keep you here, I can't. it's Valentines day and it'd seem weird if I don't take you home now." Jonghyun laughed a little and leaned in for a quick kiss. Jonghyun pulled my hand up and I quickly put the perfume in the matching box.

I smiled at Jonghyun before walking out of the car.

"Wait!" Jonghyun called out.

"Wae?" I asked. Jonghyun chuckled and handed me an envelope. I was about to open it but he told me not to yet. I greeted him goodbye and walked into my house and up to my room. I placed the perfume box on the dresser and realized that it had Jonghyun and my name printed on it as well. It was the same tea green with a brown boarder. I opened it and saw a message on it. Well it was written all over. Everyone of the messages had different sizes and fonts. Every sentence began with a date and each of them said stuff like 'Na Na looking pretty in her dress' or 'first kiss' and even 'eating Na Na's duboki on it'. I chuckled at the one that said 'first date+Taemin'. But the one that stood out was the words bolded at the center. 'I Like You, I'm Crazy About You, I Think I'm Falling In Love With You'. I smiled and I was suddenly reminded of the white envelope.

I opened it and saw a picture of us? Just now, on his roof. Kissing? I laughed at the thought of Jonghyun probably asking Butler Lee to take such a picture. It was weirdly sweet. I looked at the picture once again and placed it on my cork board. I moved a few picture and placed ours in the center. I then realized how little picture I had of us. I didn't even have much of my pictures. I remembered when I used to carry my camera around and just take random pictures. But that kind of stopped when I started dating Khun. I did have a few pictures of him. But they were all in that box in the closet. I went to my closet and brought out the box. I laughed a little when I saw them again. Particularly the one with us celebrating my birthday. Khun had cake on his nose. Then there was one of last Valentines day. Khun took me to Han river and we just played around. In the picture, Khun had a spoon of ice cream in his mouth while riding on a bike. That Valentines date was simple, fun and romantic. Everything Khun. Maybe not simple. Khun's looks are probably more than simple. But definitely romantic and fun.

                                                                                                          

Nichkhun's POV

I took another spoon of ice cream and continued walking. The river is still as I remembered. I saw the other couples laughing and playing around. Reminds me so much of Na Na and me. I wonder what she's doing with Jonghyun. I sighed and took another spoon. I never knew what it felt like to lose something until now. I guess... I guess I managed to keep myself satisfied by pretending like I didn't really lose Na Na. But the sudden realization hurts now more than ever. I suddenly remembered of the chocolates and took it out from my pockets. There was four in the green box. They all had the letter N on it. I looked at it and chuckled. I sighed and put the chocolate back. I would eat it but I didn't have the heart to.

How do I eat the very that that reminds me I still have a place in your heart? I'm scared that if I eat this, I won't be getting another one. I do hope you're happy today, even if it's with another guy. But like I said, all I can do now is watch and make sure you're happy. I'd try my best to look happy too if it means you think I'm doing fine-that you're not making me feel the way I do now.