Bigger Than the Two of Us

The Thin Line Between You and Him

Na Na's POV

"Mmm-wah." Jonghyun groaned out loud as he kissed my head for the nth time since I got home.

"Stop it." I commanded with a glare before going back to my homework.

"I haven’t kissed my girlfriend for who knows how long, so I'm just making up for it."

"But I don't want your kisses. It's too distracting."

"This isn't for you. It's for me." Jonghyun stated and kissed the top of my head.

"Let me finish this first." I sighed and pointed to my almost finished homework.

"You need to loosen up a little. Stop always worrying about homework. School is almost over." Jonghyun reminded with a slight tilt of his head.

"Exactly. School is almost over. And so I will be trying my best because every last assignment will count."

"If school is that important… Speaking of school, it's ending soon. And that'll mean college. So, Na Na," Jonghyun let out a long pause before continuing again, "how about living together with me for college? You did say you got that acceptance letter for Seoul university.

Perhaps it was just nerves but I couldn't tell if I was happy or scared that he's asking such a thing from me. Of course, being me, I let out a slight and nervous laugh as I went back to my homework and pretend as though I heard none of it.

"Na Naaa."Jonghyun whined loudly, trying to gain my attention.

"Yeah?" I asked nonchalantly with my head still buried in my work. I scribbled furiously with hopes of Jonghyun moving on from the topic.

"So I'm guessing that's a no?" Jonghyun asked with one of the saddest tone I've heard from him.

"We need to be adults about this. And let's remember that we're just kids."

"No, we're young adults. As young adults, we are to make our own decisions. So what's yours?"

"This isn't some sleepover you can just reply to in a matter of seconds."

"So should I give you an hour?"

"Jonghyun, why do you want to live together?" I closed my notebook and wheeled my chair to face him.

"Because I love you." Jonghyun replied simply.

"Just that?"

"Isn't that enough? I want to spend as much time as I can with you."

"And?"

"And nothing. I love you and I want to wake up, being able to see my baby every morning."

"And?"

"What are you trying to get me to say?"

"Well you are a guy, Jonghyun. And I am a girl. So-"

"Yah, I wasn't thinking of anything of such! I really do just want to be with you. Is that so hard to believe?"

"There are other factors to it that we must think about to. Like the fact that we'll be spending too much time together. That's when couples start to break stuff and yell at each other."

"I'm sure there will be a few fights here and there but I can assure you nothing too out of hand. Plus, we should be experiencing this types of things as a couples. Couples fight, right?"

"But they don't live together."

"Yes they do. Couples live together all the time." Jonghyun contradicted in a confident tone, while glazing at me with his too big eyes.

"Married couples."

"I think we are in more modern times now, Na Na."

"I also have my mom. I'm not going to leave her all by herself."

"That's why I'll be moving in with you."

"With me?"

"Yes, with you. I love being here, with you, and with your mother. We'll be like a family."

"You're going to have to work too and-"

"That's what cars are for."

"Where will you be sleeping?"

"With you of course." Jonghyun replied with a look that said obviously.

"But don't you think-"

"Why are you so hesitant about this? Being away from you for such a long time has made me realize how much I can't live without you. I love you and you do too."

"I'll-I'll think about it, okay?" I smiled and Jonghyun looked down in disappointment. I rolled my chair towards him and give him a kiss in apology, but Jonghyun just forgot about it a second after and decided to go watch TV downstairs.

"Did you hear that Onew has fallen for that manager girl?" Jonghyun brought up after a while.

"Eun Hee noona?" I sat up in disbelief.

"Yep. That's her name." Jonghyun nodded, then pulling me back into his arms.

"But she's like three years older than him." I pulled away and looked at him with wide eyes.

"That's nothing. It'll a problem if she's a decade older so what's wrong with three?"

"Well-it's-Onew was like crying about how freaky she was like a week ago."

"Um, no. That was two weeks ago. People move and Onew fell for her a week ago. Onew now cries over the fact that she only sees him as a brother. I think they make a decent couple."

"I guess. They would look cute together-"

"They do, but I have to go now," Jonghyun pointed to the text message on his phone, "of course, unless you want to come too?"

"Maybe next time." I shook my head at the thought of another gathering with his family. Especially with his scary grandmother.

"Next time then! I'll comeback if I finish early enough." Jonghyun kissed me goodbye before making his way to the door. I waved my hand and waited until Jonghyun was out of sight to slump back to the couch. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was almost time for mom to be home. And deciding to make things easier for her, I went to make a nice dinner for the both of us.

"Is that meat I smell?" I hear my mom say when she walked in the door. I nodded with a smiled and motioned her towards the dinner table.

After setting the things up together, we finally got to the eating. We talked and chat but just as I was about to tell her that Jonghyun and I got back together, she spoke before I did.

"I have this." my mom sat up and got the envelope from her bag. I took the already opened envelope from her and bit my lips when I saw the Columbia crown at the corner.

"When did you get this?"

"This morning. I  was quite excited when I saw this so I opened it while I got to work. Congratulations. I am so proud of you." my mom held my hand tightly and smiled with such delight.

"I-I got in?"

"That's right. And I was thinking. As you know, I got a new job because the last one had a bit of complications. The new job isn't paying well either and by miracle, this company in the states invited me to a job! We can move to New York together and you wouldn't be alone. The new job pays well too and we would be able to get a nice place even in New York city."

"I would love that mom." I smiled with thoughts of not being alone in a completely new country.

"Right? You could patch your broken heart and start anew."

"About that. I got back together with Jonghyun. I was going to tell you just now, actually."

"Well, are you thinking of not going then?"

"Are you angry?" I stared down at the rice and bit my lips.

"You're a bright girl who I believe can do well anywhere. If you don't want to go, of course I would support you."

"I thought I would reject and I have put serious thoughts into it. But with you and that job-"

"That job is nothing."

"Yeah, it is. It's fate showing me where to go."

"Fate doesn't decide for you. You do."

"What would you want me to do?"

"This is your future. Not mine. Just know I will support you in whatever you decide. This is something you've always wanted."

                                                                       

Jonghyun's POV

"I think that it is about time you move back in now." my mother told me after chewing her piece of food.

"I think that it is for me to decide whatever I want to do." I sighed under my breath.

"What is with you, Jonghyun? I will not stand that attitude of yours."

"I apologize but I will not be moving in with anybody. Other than Na Na that is."

"Don't tell me you are."

"I have brought the topic up for discussion."

"Did she turn you down?"

"She said she will think about it."

"That's exactly why I didn't like her. She didn't tell you?" 

"What?"

"She's moving to New York."

"And how do you know that?"

"I tend to keep my eyes on her and-"

"Your eyes? I am sure that you had a P.I. look all into her past." I put the fork down and rubbed my eye in annoyance.

"Would you like to hear of the things I found out?"

"No because that's invasion of privacy."

"She's poor. What privacy is there that they'll require of?" grandmother suddenly interjected. I've grown all used to those comments by now so I just hiss in my head at their ignorance.

"Well fine. But that girl got accepted into Columbia somehow and she didn't tell you."

"I'm sure she didn't know herself quite just yet." I decided with an expressionless face. It's not that I'm surprised she didn't tell me, just that I forgot.

"Well either way, she will be leaving with that mother of hers for the states soon."

"How do you know that?"

"Who do you think offered that mother the new job?"

"I'm guessing you did? Did you also fire hers from the old job too?" I glared at her with frustration and anger.

"I did, and I kindly graced her with a new and better one. You surely can't be angry with that."

"The job is all the way in New York!"

"And? I made sure those two would be together-"

"And what? Never come back?"

"Of course. Why else would I have done such a thing? Also, I have arranged a date for you-"

"You can't just change the subject like that? When are you going to realize that it's my life and stop meddling with it?"

"Well, just listen. She's a beautiful girl and everything you've ever wanted."

"Na Na is everything I want." I sighed and shot my mom a glare.

                                                                                                                       

Na Na's POV

"What do you want to be?" Jonghyun asked me out of the blues, with a sad look for some reason. I must say, ever since he came back to my house, he wasn't as cheerful as he did a few hours ago.

"In the future? Mmm… Lawyer?"

"Lawyer?" Jonghyun's voice cracked a little. I opened my mouth a little in shock, not knowing why Jonghyun's looking so sad.

"What's wrong?"

"Going to school takes a long time." Jonghyun looked down and fiddled with my blanket.

"I-It does I guess. But it's fine, really. It's something I really want to do. Ever since I was little."

"I-Is that so? Then I guess there's no taking you out of Columbia." Jonghyun sniffed quietly. I starred at him, then coming to the conclusion that his mom probably had told him.

"I'll come back. I'll come back and go to law school here." I reasoned and held his hand.

"Why can't you go to college here too then?" Jonghyun quietly asked with his head still down.

"I just can't. It's something I need to do. Something I've always wanted to do."

"Isn't that a little selfish? Leaving me all alone. Can't you just stay by my side?" Jonghyun asked in a small voice and rubbed his eyes.

"Isn't that a little selfish? Asking me to stay just so you don't have to be alone?" I chuckled bitterly as I try and reason with him. I looked up and took a deep breath to prevent my tears from falling too.

"I've been selfish all my life so can't I be selfish just for a little more? I promise I won't do it anymore after." Jonghyun finally looked up with red eyes that made me tear up a lot more. Jonghyun smiled a bit and bit his lips while waiting for my reply.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled without any clue as to what else I could say.

"Is that all you have to say?"

"I don't know what else I could say. Youu said we'd get through it."

"But I just got you back. You can't possibly leave so soon already."

"I've still got a little while."

"You know, you're just like Krystal. It's so easy for the both of you to turn your backs on me and just go." Jonghyun's tone turned to a more serious one as he started to head out of my room.

"Be more reasonable. Love can wait but this can't." I tried as I followed him down the stairs. Jonghyun stopped just in front of the door and turned to look back at me with angry eyes.

"No, you can't just expect me to wait around for you."

"If you love me, you would."

"And if you love me, you'd stay." Jonghyun opened the door and turned to wait for my reply.

"Wouldn't you ask me to wait if you had to leave?"

"No, I wouldn't even ask. I can't stand being away from you but it's clearly all too easy for you." Jonghyun glared at me with angry eyes and slammed the door before leaving towards his car to leave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

To leeyunee, I'm sorry to have made you wait so long. So here. I didn't think someone would do such a thing for a story like mine, so i appreciate it.

Also, a special thanks to all of you who comments consistantly, reminding me that I shouldn't abandon the story too long.

I'm sorry for the lack of update. I'd promise to try and do it more often but homework just ...