Chapter 49

How I Met Your Appa

                                                                            

 

A/N: First, I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to update. I guess I'm not that great at uploading on a regular basis, but nonetheless I promise I will continue the story! I even have ideas for a follow up ;)

Because it's been so long, let me shortly recap the end of the last chapter: Ji Yong got mad at the other kids, because they disrupted his peace and quiet in the living room. Baekhyun tried settling the matter, but Ji Yong felt unfairly treated and left for his bedroom.


 

Chapter 49

Baekhyun went up the stairs to go to Ji Yong's room. He hesitated outside the door for a moment, but then knocked on it twice and opened it without waiting for a response.

"I didn't tell you to come in," Ji Yong mumbled from his bed. He was lying with his back towards the door and therefore Baekhyun.

"I didn't wait for your permission," Baekhyun responded. Ji Yong turned halfway towards him to look at the intruder.

"Aunt Baekhyun?" he said, probably expecting someone else - like his parents for example. "What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I was thinking we should talk." Baekhyun sat down on the chair in the room.

"Did you talk to my parents yet?"

"No."

"Why not?" Ji Yong seemed surprised. Usually they would talk to his parents if he had done something 'wrong'.

Baekhyun shrugged. "I figured they didn't necessarily have to know what happened downstairs. I wanted to talk to you first."

Ji Yong laid back down on his bed, now on his back and his face staring at the ceiling.

"Go on then," the kid said with sass in his voice. Baekhyun fought the need to roll his eyes.

"I know it can be hard sometimes to be the only twelve-year-old in the family. I didn't have such a big family as you do, but I do have an older brother and there's six years between us. At times when I wanted to play with him, he didn't want to play with me. I missed somebody on my own age." Baekhyun waited for a second to think about what to say. "I know it's not quite the same, but I can tell how difficult it is for you. I can imagine that you want to have your alone time with so many siblings and cousins who look up to you and wants to hang around their cool older cousin."

Ji Yong rolled his eyes with a sigh. But Baekhyun ignored it.

"It's okay to say no at times, but also remember that they want to play with you because they look up to you. You're the oldest and that means you have a lot of responsibility. There are things that you know and understand, that your younger cousins don't. They are still very young and haven't quite learned yet that it can be tiresome for others to always have them around - not that we don't love them in every way. When you talk angrily to them, they might misunderstand the situation, getting an exaggerated understanding - like you hate them - and they will get very upset, when all you did was reach your limit and lose control of your temper." Baekhyun paused with a small sigh. "I know you don't have a problem with any of them, I know you love them just as much as they love you. 'Cause they do." Baekhyun looked at Ji Yong, trying to figure out what he was thinking, hoping for a little reaction: Ji Yong's expression had gotten softer and Baekhyun smiled; he had reached him.

"I'm going to talk to them too and tell them that you need some space," Baekhyun said and was about to stand up. Ji Yong sighed.

"Thank you, aunt Baekhyun," he mumbled. Baekhyun just smiled and went to the door. Just before he closed the door to Ji Yong's bedroom, he said, "Did you talk to Sohee by the way?"

Ji Yong shook his head. "No, but I will, don't worry." Baekhyun smiled again and closed the door, leaving his oldest nephew alone.

 

Some hours later they went to the restaurant Kyungsoo and Joonmyun had wanted to go to. They had called some hours ahead since they were so many people to fit in the place; luckily there was enough room. Ji Yong had apologized to his sister and they were yet again good friends; he had also talked to the younger kids, so there were no hard feelings left. Baekhyun hadn't told Minseok and Lu Han, which Ji Yong was grateful for, and they had all decided that it was in the past now.

"Wow it's fancier that I expected, Kyungsoo," Minseok said as they stood inside the restaurant: the light was soft and there were live candles on the dark wooden tables; the chairs were of the same quality wood and with a pillow on the seating; classical music were playing faintly in the background and the waiters were all dressed in the same white and black uniforms.

"Yeah, it's nice isn't it," Kyungsoo said with a smile, satisfied of his and Joonmyun's choice of place. "It's been so long since we came to such a place."

"Okay, so I talked to the manager of this place and, obviously, we're not allowed to move around on the tables. We're going to have to split up between these three tables we have reserved," Joonmyun said, as he came back from the small desk in the beginning of the restaurant.

"I will sit with Jonghyun," Changjo said; the two of them had been in the middle of a conversation about Dragon Ball before they left for the dining place.

"Then I want to sit with Minki," Taehyung said and grabbed Minki's arm. "And Namjoo!" He grabbed Namjoo by the other arm and she smiled happily.

"Junhongie," Namjoo exclaimed and pulled Junhong over to them.

"You can sit at this table," Joonmyun said and pointed at the table near the wall. The four kids nodded and sat down by the window: Taehyung and Minki on one side, and Junhong and Namjoo across from the two.

Next to the four kids around the same table Minseok, Yixing, Joonmyun, Taemin and Sehun sat. On the table next to that near the wall Zitao, Jongdae, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Lu Han and Taeyeon sat, and aside them Luna, Byunghun and Chanhee. On the last table Jonghyun, Changjo and Hayoung sat next to Chanyeol and Yi Fan. Then Aron, Amber and Sohee sat and at the end of the table Sandara and Ji Yong.

The waiters came by the tables, after they had all taken a look at the menus, and they ordered; the adults helping the younger kids of course. The waiters left, and they started talking as they waited for their drinks and food.

"How's school, Ji Yong?" Sandara asked Ji Yong, as the two sat across each other at the end of the table. They were the oldest out of all the kids and they had played together when they were younger; both of them remembered. They had been good friends, but hadn't really talked much on the trip yet, so they needed to catch up.

"Fine," Ji Yong answered with a small sigh. "It's boring." Sandara smiled by that comment.

"I get it; it's only going to get more boring," she said, earning a small laugh from Ji Yong. "That's why I consider not returning after vacation..." Ji Yong raised his eyebrows but didn't ask about it.

"But you have nice friends in school, right?" Sandara asked. Ji Yong nodded. Then the waiter came with their cokes and they became quiet as they took a sip.

"Why do uncle Kyungsoo and uncle Jongdae have to look after you for this trip?" Ji Yong suddenly asked. He hadn't heard the behind story of why Sandara was going along on the trip; only that she was grounded and her father couldn't look after her.

Sandara looked at him for a moment, considering what to say. She decided to tell the truth. "My father is on a business trip and I'm grounded, so he asked uncle Kyungsoo to take me with him."

Ji Yong rolled his eyes. "I meant, why did you get grounded," he said with a teasing glint in his eyes.

Sandara sighed. Maybe she shouldn't tell a thirteen-year-old. But it wasn't her kid, and she decided that her and Ji Yong were friends. "I went drinking with a fake ID."

Ji Yong widened his eyes. "Really?" She nodded. "How? How did you make a fake ID?"

She laughed. "I'm not telling you! I don't want to be responsible for you getting taken in for drinking illegally! I don't want uncle Minseok and uncle Lu Han raging at me!"

Ji Yong laughed and Sandara laughed together with him. Then the waiters came back and they all got their food.

"I'm so hungry!" Junhong said and Namjoo nodded in agreement. Together they grabbed their spoons - as they couldn't quite master the chopsticks yet - and stuck it in the bowls of rice. Taehyung hadn't even felt there was time to speak, as he had burrowed his spoon in his own kimchi the moment the waiters came with it. He had already eaten a good amount of it when Minki decided he wanted to taste Taehyung's food as well.

Minki didn't ask for permission to taste, he just took his spoon from his own plate, and stuck it in his cousin's food. Then he put the kimchi in his mouth and chewed.

"This is spicy," he commented and stuck out his tongue, like a water-hungering dog, before taking his glass of water. Taehyung stopped in his tracks; he had eaten so fast, that he hadn’t actually tasted the food properly and only now, when he paused, he started tasting the spices.

"Really?" Namjoo said, as if she didn't believe her cousin. "I want to taste too." Junhong looked at her as she took a piece of kimchi from Taehyung's plate across from hers and tasted it. "Yeah, it’s really spicy," she said, immediately spitting it out on her napkin, and looked at Taehyung with a questioning look. "Do you like it?"

Taehyung didn't answer - he was too busy staring down at the half-eaten food in front of him while his eyes were welling up with tears and started running down his cheeks.

Meanwhile, Zitao had ordered a similar kind of kimchi as the little boy, and he had only eaten a small amount of it before deciding to complain.

"This is not spicy! I ordered a kimchi with extra chili sauce. But this is not spicy at all!" he complained to Jongdae who sat in front of him. Zitao leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms with a pout as he stared down at his food.

Jongdae rolled his eyes at him. "Are you really going to act like a sulking little kid? You can just ask the waiter to bring you some extra chili sauce, if your ridiculous soon-to-be-burned-out taste buds are not satisfied," Jongdae said with a shrug and turned his attention back to his own noodles.

Zitao turned his head and tried to catch a waiter's attention. Soon he caught her eye, as the three tables were already gaining much attention with so many kids on a fancy restaurant. She came over to the table.

"What can I do for you, sir?" she said with a polite smile.

"I ordered hot spicy kimchi, but I don't find it very spicy, so maybe you could bring me some extra chili sauce, please?" Zitao said while motioning down to his plate. The waiter nodded and left to please the customer. Jongdae had followed the scene and was sitting with raised eyebrows, looking at Zitao.

"What?" Zitao asked.

"You didn't need to be rude," Jongdae said.

"I said 'please'..." Zitao mumbled, but in his mind he admitted he didn't have to criticize their food.

"Here you go, sir." The waiter came back and handed a chili sauce to Zitao, before walking away again. Zitao smiled and poured it on his food until he was satisfied.

Jongdae rolled his eyes again at Zitao, who was smiling delightfully after tasting the food again after putting a huge amount of spicy sauce on it, and then he turned around on his chair to check up on his own daughter who was sitting behind him.

"Do you like your food, sweetie?" Jongdae asked with a hand on Namjoo's shoulder, but was soon distracted by the kid sitting on the other side of the table: Taehyung's eyes and face had now gotten a red color and tears kept running down his cheeks, leaving them completely soaked.

"Uhm, Baek." Jongdae patted the man sitting next to him. "Your kid is crying," he said, which was enough to make Baekhyun turn around completely in his chair.

"His food is really spicy," Namjoo told and Minki and Junhong nodded.

Jongdae turned a burning gaze towards Zitao, who looked down in embarrassment and bad conscience. Baekhyun on the other hand went out of his seat and walked over to his son who was sitting by the end of the table next to Minki.

"Here, drink some water, baby." Baekhyun gave him the glass of water that stood by his plate. Taehyung quickly gulped down the water.

"Why didn't anyone notice a crying kid?" Jongdae asked the adults, sitting at the other end of the table Taehyung was sitting at. They had stopped their conversation when Baekhyun had went over to Taehyung and only now noticed the red eyes of him. Jongdae looked at Yixing who was sitting next to Minki, at Minseok and Joonmyun, and then at Taemin and Sehun who were sitting on the other side; they were most likely the people who could have noticed first. But of course the two youngsters hadn't noticed a thing.

Sehun and Taemin didn't answer Jongdae's question, they just looked sadly at Taehyung.

"We’re sorry, Baekhyun, we were too immersed in our conversation," Minseok said, apologizing on all their behalves.

"Sorry," Yixing said.

"There's no more water?" Baekhyun looked around at the table, partly ignoring their apologies. "Okay, come, Taehyung." He lifted the crying Taehyung from the chair and left to ask the waiter for some milk and get Taehyung to the restroom to wash his face.

"Um, what's going on?" Chanyeol, who was sitting at the third table, noticed Baekhyun carrying his son away. He looked confused at the people sitting around the same table as Taehyung did.

"He ate Zitao's spicy food and started crying," Jongdae explained, as none of the other adults really knew what was going on.

"He's not sad, is he?" Chanyeol asked, getting a bit worried, even though he knew his son's reaction when eating really spicy food.

Jongdae shook his head. "I don't think so, he didn't seem like it. He was just really red and Baekhyun took him to get some milk and splash water on his face to cool it." Chanyeol nodded as he understood now.

"But what are you eating then, Zitao?" Taemin asked the man.

"It seems like the waiters mixed up Zitao's and Taehyung's orders, as they ordered the same but Zitao wanted it spicy," Jongdae explained since Zitao didn't answer.

"Why don't you just switch it now then?" Yi Fan asked. Everyone around the three tables were intensely following the conversation.

"Because he just poured a whole bottle of chili sauce on the food!" Jongdae said, shooting Zitao death glares.

"Can you let me answer for once?!" Zitao exclaimed. "It's my questions!" He narrowed his eyes at Jongdae. "And it was not a whole bottle." Jongdae rolled his eyes.

"Whatever, Taehyung's not going to eat that," Jongdae said.

"I'll order something for him," Chanyeol said and went over to a waiter with Taehyung's half eaten plate of food.

Some minutes later Baekhyun and Taehyung got back from the restroom; Taehyung's face was not red anymore and tears didn't run down his face. Instead he had a big smile on his face as he sat down next to Minki again and Baekhyun went to his own seat.

"Eomma promised me that I can eat ice cream for dessert," Taehyung told Minki, Junhong and Namjoo who all looked at him envious.

"I want ice cream too," Namjoo said with a pout. Then Taehyung got the new food that Chanyeol ordered from the waiter.

At the end of the table in the middle Byunghun, Chanhee and Luna were in the middle of eating. They were talking about everything and anything, but the interesting fact was that the parents were whispering about them.

"I don't think you should be talking about that here," Taeyeon stated; her tone was low so the kids wouldn't hear.

"Don't worry," Baekhyun reassured her. He glanced at the table's end at the kids. "They're not hearing a thing we say," he said, just as they laughed loudly at something Luna said. Taeyeon sighed, as she was still worried the kids would suspect something - she was also sitting right beside Luna, so obviously she would hesitate the most in talking out loud about the matter.

"So, I know Baek is voting for B, aka Byunghun, and C, aka Chanhee, and I know that Lu Han is voting for C and Luna, aka L," Jongdae said quietly. He looked at Zitao who was sitting across from him. "What about you Zitao? Who do you think end up together?"

Kyungsoo shook his head at his husband; he didn't think it was right to bet about their nieces and nephews, not to mention their own kids. They had made bets about a lot of things ever since they started in EXO; they bet about who got married first, who got a child first, which couple the fans would be the most surprised about, etc. And now they started to make bets about who their kids would end up together with and whether they were homoual or straight. The most exciting bet at the moment: the three good friends; Byunghun, Chanhee and Luna.

"I'm with Baekhyun hyung," Zitao answered. "They're gay."

"I don't get it, why are you not voting for your own kid, Baekhyun? Do you not like my son? Do you think your niece can do better?" Lu Han said. Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

"I love C too, hyung, but my gaydar is just that powerful: I know they're gay for a fact. And honestly, yes, I do think that my niece can do better than a gay guy," Baekhyun replied with a smirk at the end.

"I told you, you were the most obvious gay," Jongdae mumbled with a smirk.

"I don't care what you say: me and Zitao are right, and you are wrong."

"What about you, Jongin?" Jongdae asked.

"Sorry, Lu Han hyung, but I think B and your son is going to date each other. I don't know about L," Jongin said.

"Jongin's gaydar must be very powerful too," Baekhyun said before Lu Han could reply.

"Hey, it's not that I would mind if my son was gay - or that any of my children were gay, for that matter. I just can't see how you would sense that about them," Lu Han said.

"I agree," Jongdae said. "I think that Luna's going to choose Chanhee... I have no idea about Byunghun, I just sense something between Luna and Chanhee."

Taeyeon and Kyungsoo shook their heads in sync with a sigh, just as the three kids turned their heads to look at the adults with questioning facial expressions, as they had seemed to hear all their names getting mentioned by Jongdae. Jongdae smiled innocently at them and Byunghun, Chanhee and Luna mirrored their uncle and aunt's expression from before while they rolled their eyes at their weird uncle.

 


 

A/N: How did you like my idea of EXO making bets? Even more, how do you like them making bets about the kids? ^_^'' I thought it would be fun!

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Please let me know your thoughts in the comment section :D

Thank you for reading, subscribing and commenting! :3