Chapter 19

How I Met Your Appa

Park Sandara everyone!

And happy birthday to her, since she had her birthday some days ago ~

And happy birthday to Changjo too, whose birthday is tomorrow (or today, regarding where you are in the world)! :D

 


Chapter 19

At another place in the city, the rest of them were - except the Kim family of course. They had found a park to walk around in, admiring the nature and the few statues placed in it.

"Look, Hayoung, there's a playground over there!" Sohee exclaimed and pointed with one hand, while she was holding the younger with the other.

"Can we go swinging, unnie?" the four year old asked Sohee excited and looked up at her. Sohee turned her head and looked at her appa.

"Appa, can we go to the playground?" she asked Minseok. "It's right over there." She pointed.

Minseok nodded. "Sure. We'll be right over. Be careful."

Sohee smiled and ran with her younger cousins towards the playground. The adults walked slowly behind. And when they arrived the children were already happily playing: Sohee was pushing Hayoung on the swing; Jonghyun and Changjo were building a castle in the sandpit; and Taehyung was sliding down the mini rollercoaster. Sandara had sat down on a bench with her arms crossed. Chanyeol walked over to her, as the three other parents sat down on another bench.

"Why aren't you playing with the others?" Chanyeol asked and sat down next to her. Sandara turned her head and looked at him with her eyebrows raised, like he was asking her the most ridiculous of all questions.

"I'm 16," she said.

"So?" Chanyeol said back. "I'm older, but I still like playing." Sandara rolled her eyes.

"Sandara, what happened?" Chanyeol then asked. "When you were younger you were so full of joy and loved running around. You were so fun to play with. Not that you're not now," he hurried to add, trying not to sound mean.

Sandara hesitated. "I grew up," she said.

"The last I heard was that you got caught with a fake id," Chanyeol said and Sandara looked at him with wide eyes. But only for a second.

"Uncle Kyungsoo told you," she said. Chanyeol nodded.

"That's not very grownup like," Chanyeol said. She rolled her eyes again.

"Dara," he said. She didn't look at him, though it seemed to have taken her by surprise that he used her past nickname. "You loved to hang out with us, and we loved having you around. We still do.  Please try to find that happy spirit again. If something's bothering you, tell us, so we can help you fix it. Life is too short to walk around being unhappy."

Sandara seemed to think about it for a bit, but before she managed to say anything, Sohee called her.

"Sandara unnie! Come play with us! Help us build a castle." All five kids were sitting in the sand, with something looking like a pile of dirt in the middle of their little circle.

Sandara looked at Chanyeol, who just smiled at her and nodded reassuringly. She sighed with an almost scared expression, like she had to take a running start, before she stood up and went to the kids.

"You're supposed to..." Chanyeol heard her say, as she began helping the kids forming the sand. She had a small smile on her face, while the kids looked at her admiringly.

Chanyeol went over to where Minseok, Yixing and Kyungsoo were sitting.

"How did you do that?" Kyungsoo looked at the scenario in front of his eyes, with awe.

Chanyeol shrugged with a smirk. "Let's just say I know how to handle kids."

Kyungsoo glared at him. "Like I don't know how to handle kids. She was a mean, ignorant teenager!"

Chanyeol laughed. "Calm down, Kyungsoo, I'm only teasing you. Let's just admire the scene taking place in front of us, like it was a miracle."

 

Half an hour later they decided to move on. They went out of the park and started walking around the city instead.

They passed an ice cream shop that was across a store selling CD's.

"Auntie, can we get ice cream?" Taehyung patted Kyungsoo's side. Kyungsoo hesitated, but then noticed the other kids looking pleading up at him as well.

"Okay, fine," he sighed and took out his wallet. He looked at Sandara, who stood with Hayoung and Jonghyun's hands in hers. "Can you please them over there? I will give you the money; you just have to order for them. We'll be in the record store meanwhile."

Sandara seemed to hesitate, but then let go of Jonghyun's hand and took the money with a small smile. "Okay," she agreed, and went inside the ice cream shop with all the kids. Kyungsoo went inside the other store together with the adults.

 

At five o'clock the two groups had agreed to meet at the parking lot. They discussed whether they should eat in a restaurant or buy some food to take home with them to the house. In the end they decided to find a restaurant, and the kids all agreed on a little place they had went by earlier.

As they had ordered their food, they patiently waited for it to come while sharing their stories from when they had last seen each other; the parents in one end, and the kids and Sandara in the other.

"I bought new pants for the boy," Yi Fan told Yixing. Yixing smiled at his husband sitting in front of him.

"Really? That's good. And they fit?" Yi Fan nodded. "Were they very expensive?" Yi Fan just stared at him, and Yixing took the hint.

"Oh right! I bought a cute dress for Luna and some pants and a hat for Taehyung!" Baekhyun said to Chanyeol.

"A hat?" Chanyeol asked.

"It's more like a white beanie with ears," Jongdae explained.

"But it's cute!" Baekhyun said before Chanyeol could say anything.

"And what did you buy, Jongdae?" Kyungsoo asked, sitting next to Chanyeol. He was already expecting the worst.

"A green one piece suit and a purple skirt," he replied with a proud smile. "And a shirt for you."

"For me? Why did you buy something for me?" Kyungsoo asked surprised, but with furrowed eyebrows.

"Because I thought you deserved something new." Jongdae smiled.

"Don't worry, it's nothing special," Baekhyun told Kyungsoo. "I suggested he bought you a leather jacket, but he didn't want to hear about that." He rolled his eyes exaggerated and Chanyeol laughed.

"By the way, what did you buy, Zitao?" Lu Han asked after a while.

Zitao looked at them. "Nothing," he mumbled and glared at Sehun, as if it was his fault.

"Wait, really?" both Baekhyun and Kyungsoo exclaimed surprised.

Zitao nodded.

"Why not?" Yixing asked from the table's end.

"Because your husband persuaded me not to," Zitao said.

"Why?" Chanyeol asked, looking from Zitao to Yi Fan and back again. Yi Fan rolled his eyes.

"Because he had found a hideous leather jacket with the words 'y' on the back, which he wanted to buy," he said.

"It wasn't hideous," Zitao argued. "It suited me! And Sehun liked it too!"

"I doubt that," Jongin said. "It was really not good-looking at all."

"Sehun!" Zitao turned to Sehun for support.

Sehun looked at the table in front of him. "Um..."

"See, he didn't think it was good-looking!" Jongin grinned. Sehun glared at him.

"Sehun?" Zitao looked at his husband, and Sehun finally returned his gaze.

"Zitao, it wasn't very good-looking, I'm sorry," the maknae said and Jongin grinned again. "It didn't deserve to be worn by you." Zitao looked like he wanted to be mad at him, but couldn't, as he looked down with a slight blush. Sehun smiled and pecked his cheek.

"So what happened with you guys?" Taemin asked the others who'd been at the park.

"We were at the park and something amazing happened!" Kyungsoo said, remembering all about the day's happening. "Chanyeol talked with Sandara and she actually played with the kids!"

"So that's why she's suddenly turned so nice," Baekhyun said and looked at the other end of the table, where Sandara sat playing with the youngest kids.

"How did that happen? What did you say to her?" Jongdae asked Chanyeol, who just shrugged.

"I don't really know. But she's never been that bad, she just had to face the fact that she's actually a good person, I think," Chanyeol said.

The dinner was served and they continued talking until everything was eaten. Sandara kept talking and playing with the kids, and once in a while the adults would hear laughter at the children's end, and they would secretly admire the scene with a smile. As they were done eating, they thanked the waiters and left the restaurant, slowly moving towards the parking lot on full stomachs.

"I can't walk anymore. Carry me!" Namjoo whined, and Jongdae lifted her up in his arms.

"Maybe you're too tired for the story tonight?" he asked, but Namjoo shook her head extra violently, so that he had to tighten his grip on her to prevent her from falling from his arms.

"I want to hear the stories! I'm not tired," she said and pouted.

"Okay," Jongdae smiled at her. Baekhyun and Chanyeol walked by their side.

"I understand why you don't want to miss out on the most anticipated of all the love stories. Me and Chanyeol are after all the most succeeded couple," Baekhyun said.

"I would hit you, if it wasn't for my daughter in my arms, Byun Baekhyun," Jongdae said with a scowl at his best friend.

"Can I hit him, appa?" Namjoo asked Jongdae with a glint in her eyes. This seemed to take both Jongdae, Baekhyun and Chanyeol by surprise.

"Okay, but just this once, sweetie," Jongdae said. "Remember: violence is never the answer."

Namjoo just grinned and lashed out at Baekhyun, but Baekhyun dodged. Namjoo pouted.

"Hey, you can't do that! Let my daughter hit you," Jongdae said and Baekhyun sighed and stood still. Namjoo lashed out and this time Baekhyun didn't dodge away, and Namjoo hit him perfectly on the shoulder, earning a high five from Jongdae.

"What can I say? That's the daughter of my husband!" He grinned.

"What about your husband?" Kyungsoo came up to Jongdae's other side.

"Nothing. Just that he's really sweet and has managed to give awesome qualities to our kids," Jongdae said and pecked Kyungsoo’s cheek. Kyungsoo smiled.

"What happened?" he asked, as he noticed Baekhyun holding onto his shoulder, as if in pain - apparently for his audience's sake, as Namjoo was laughing hard.

"Let's just say that we don't need to worry about our daughter's safety, as she seems like she can take care of herself." Jongdae smirked, also looking at Baekhyun's misery.

 

They'd been home for about an hour when the Kim family walked through the door.

"Jonghyun!" Minki called happily, as he was now visible in the doorway to the living room. Jonghyun looked at him with a smile on his face, sitting on the floor playing with some toys together with the other children. The parents of the other kids also looked at him with a smile, and greeted Amber, Taeyeon and Joonmyun as they came inside the living room.

"Was it a nice trip?" Lu Han asked the family.

"Yes, it was really nice to be with the kids," Taeyeon answered with a smile.

"Do you want to hear about what I think?" Minki asked, still standing in the doorway. Taeyeon and Joonmyun had taken a seat on the couch, and Amber had sat down next to Byunghun in an armchair.

The other parents nodded as a response to Minki's question.

"I got a teddy!" Minki exclaimed happily, revealing it from behind his back. It was a teddy bear representing a white tiger. "Its name is Dongho!" He smiled, and Taehyung stood up, walking to Minki, as he looked at the tiger with envy on his face. He started petting it, as it was obvious Minki wouldn't let it go: he had even taken a tighter grip on it when Taehyung had stood up.

"Appa and eomma bought it for me at the zoo," Minki continued. "They bought one for Amber too."

"It's not mine," Amber said from the armchair. "Minki, you told them that it was cute and that it could be mine, therefore they bought it. But it's always been yours."

Minki reached down for a bag, standing by his feet. Then he took out a stuffed llama. "This is Amber." He showed the llama to the others, and they all looked questioningly from Minki to Amber.

"Yup, he even named it after me..." Amber said and rolled her eyes. Byunghun and Aron laughed, and even some of the adults couldn't hide their smiles.

"That's because it looks like you," Minki said, walking to Amber and putting the stuffed animal near her head. "Doesn't it?" He looked expecting at the others around them, obviously expecting them all to agree. Luckily they didn't need to answer, as Taehyung had followed Minki to the armchair and kept petting the other stuffed animal.

"Minki, can I...?" He looked at Minki, as if Minki was holding a very precious treasure, and that he needed to hold it, if only just for a second. Minki hesitated.

"Okay," he finally decided and gently handed the stuffed tiger to Taehyung, who carefully took it from Minki's hands.

"Okay, are you ready for this evening's story?" Chanyeol asked, as they had all settled on a sitting place.

"Yeah!" All the children beamed; even Sandara who sat with Hayoung leaned against her.

 


 

A/N: First I would like to say that I waited on posting a chapter, for the sake of mourning over what happened in Paris. It didn't feel right for me to post a new chapter at that moment. #PrayforParis everyone!

 

On a cheerier note; Sandara is now sweeter towards the kids, thanks to Chanyeol (who's actually a really big fan of her). Namjoo takes after Kyungsoo and Jongdae at different things; her happy self (Jongdae) and her temper and punishment-meassures (Kyungsoo). And can you just imagine Taehyung's big eyes when he sees Minki's new toy? His envy of him and need for petting the stuffed animal? ^_^

And guys, I really do want to know whether or not you know the other idols, who are in my fanfic. I'm really curious :3

Tell me what you think about this chapter, and please subscribe if you like it ^_^

Thank you so much for reading everyone - you make me very happy!

Oh, and there's a second part to the JongKey family bonus. I'll try to upload it this week! (if you want me to :P)

See you next time ~