Chapter 1

How I Met Your Appa

Hello! Welcome to the first chapter of my fanfic. I hope you enjoy~

 

 


Chapter one

The three had taken a seat in the big leather couch and were now staring patiently at their baba in front of them. The older male had honey colored hair and a sweet smile on his pink lips. Once he'd been called a deer due to his young, jumping appearance and lost, confused expression: not to mention his last name literally meaning deer. Although it had been years back, it could still be seen and one wouldn't question the once given nickname.

"So how did you meet appa, baba?"

"Well..." their baba began.

 

"As you know appa was once in a band. And I was actually in that band too..."

"Really?!" the girl interrupted excitedly. "In the same band?"

"Yes, in the same band, Sohee," Lu Han said smiling. "But only for two years."

"Anyways, back to the story..."

 

 

 

"We met when we were trainees. Immediately we became really good friends, because of our similar age. Back then I was shy and tended to hold back a bit because my Korean wasn't very good, but luckily Minseok took me in. Then we found out that we shared interests like football and our love for coffee. And we stuck to each other. Our other members - your uncles - would say that we were inseparable." Luhan couldn't stop himself from smiling at his own words.

"Then we found out that we were going to be in the same band and our bond got stronger. That was the same time we met the other members, and now it was Minseok's turn to hold back. Both of us joined the Chinese part of the group, and as you know your appa is Korean so he wasn't all that good at Chinese. But he managed, together with Jongdae, your uncle, who was in our group as well, but is Korean.

At first we mostly did Chinese activities in China, and so Minseok of course missed his home and family, and I remember all the nights he couldn't fall asleep and I had to comfort him. We stayed up until late at night and would fall asleep together in the bed or the couch."

 

 

"Are you telling them the story of how we met?" Minseok came into the living room with two cups of coffee. He handed one of them to Lu Han.

"Thanks, baozi." Lu Han smiled as he accepted the cup.

"Yes, he is!" Sohee smiled.

"Why have you nicknamed him after a food?" Ji Yong asked with furrowed eyebrows. He knew it meant steamed bun in Chinese, but couldn't really see the point in calling his appa that.

"Because..." Minseok started, as he sat down on the couch next to his youngest son, Chanhee. "When we were trainees - and a little after debut - I weighed a bit more than I do today. Therefore the members in our band and Lu Han said that my cheeks reminded them of steamed buns, due to the extra fat. And so they sometimes called me baozi. And the fans did too."

"You make it sound like you were fat!" Lu Han exclaimed and went over to his husband. He put his hands on his shoulders. "None of us thought you were fat. Remember that! And I thought you were completely adorable with those cute cheeks." He leaned in and pecked him sweetly on the lips. Minseok smiled at him as Lu Han stood back up and sat back down in the armchair across from the couch.

"Baba, continue the story, please!" Chanhee asked, and with that Lu Han continued.

 

 

It was the first day as a trainee. Lu Han looked around nervously as he stepped inside the building. Due to that he didn't see the young man looking down at the papers in his hand while wandering in his own mind, and accidentally bumped into him.

Weirdly enough the boy didn't make a sound - barely even a gasp - even though they had bumped into each other pretty hard. Luhan on the other hand stumbled over his own feet, and possibly would have fallen down, if it hadn’t been for the boy grabbing his wrist.

"I'm sorry," the boy said. He had long brown hair, covering half his face, and was a little bit chubby. "Are you okay?" He looked serious, not giving a small smile.

Lu Han took a hold on himself, finding foothold once again, and said, "That's okay, it was my fault. I'm sorry." The other boy seemed to try holding back a smile. "What?" Lu Han asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"Excuse me, but where are you from? Your accent is really cute." Finally the boy gave a smile, but with a slight blush, as he said the last sentence without thinking.

Lu Han blushed too and looked at the ground, suddenly aware of his bad Korean. "I'm from Beijing in China," he mumbled.

"I'm sorry, it wasn't to be rude. Your Korean is really good!" the boy quickly said. "I'm Kim Minseok by the way."

Lu Han looked up at the boy again with a small smile. "I'm Lu Han. It's nice to meet you, Minseok. And thank you."

Minseok smiled. "So, where are you going? Are you a trainee as well?"

"Um, yeah. It's my first day and I'm not really sure where to go actually." Lu Han took out a piece of paper from his pocket and showed it to Minseok.

"Oh," Minseok said as he saw the paper. "At first you need to get registered."

Lu Han looked questioningly at him and Minseok smiled. "Come on, I'll show you."

When Lu Han had been registered, Minseok showed him to his first class. As they were walking, Minseok had told him that he had been there in three years and that he didn't have any morning classes that day, so that was why he was wandering around by himself. Lu Han had then told him that he had been an exchange student from China and had been discovered in the streets of Myeongdong.

When it was lunch time Lu Han had went to the cafeteria with the help of following the people he had been to class with, and as soon he had come inside the cafeteria he was being pushed around by the loads of people in there. Immediately he went behind in the line, waiting to get his turn to buy food.

As he stood there, not knowing anybody, he looked around the cafeteria. There was a lot of people, both younger and a bit older than himself. But no one he knew. Someone lightly tapped his shoulder; so light that he at first didn't notice. He looked behind him.

"Minseok!" Lu Han exclaimed happily, glad to see someone familiar to him.

"Hi," Minseok smiled, a bit taken aback by the happy response.

"How are you? Did you have class?" Lu Han asked.

Minseok just nodded, still a bit dazzled. Lu Han smiled.

When they had received their food, they stepped out of the line.

"My friends are sitting over here!" Minseok said, and led the way over to a table where two boys were sitting. One of them had short hair, while the other had hair a little longer than Minseok’s.

"Hello!" the one with short hair greeted Lu Han with a smile. The two shook hands.

"Hi!" Lu Han responded a bit shy.

"I'm Kim Joonmyun. And you are?" he asked, still smiling.

"Lu Han."

"I'm Wu Yi Fan," the boy with long hair said. He had a somewhat cold and tough look, but Lu Han decided not to judge the book by its cover.

They became silent as they started eating their food.

"So where are you from, Han?" Joonmyun asked, starting a conversation and taking another bite of his food.

"Beijing," Lu Han answered. At this Yi Fan looked up from his food.

"You're from China?" Lu Han nodded. "I'm from China, too. But I lived in Canada a couple of years."

At this Lu Han sort of brightened up: it was relieving to know that another Chinese man was a trainee with him. He figured if he needed any help, he could go to Yi Fan if he didn't know what to say in Korean.

"So how long have you been here?" Yi Fan asked.

"Since this morning," Lu Han answered seriously. The others looked at him as he explained further. "I'm a new trainee. But I have lived in Korea for quite a time now: I'm an exchange student."

"And how old are you?" Joonmyun asked.

"I'm 22," Lu Han answered, remembering about the age difference in Korea.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Joonmyun apologized. "I should have called you hyung."

Lu Han smiled. "It's fine." Joonmyun smiled thankfully, and Lu Han turned to Yi Fan next. "Should I call you ge?"

"I'm probably from the same year. I'm from 1990," Yi Fan explained.

Lu Han nodded. "Me too."

The rest of the break they talked and slowly got to know each other. After the break each of them had classes and at night time, everyone went to either a dorm room or home to their families. Lu Han went to the registration once again to ask about his dorm room. The one behind the desk told him where to go, and then he took a good grip on his bags and went down the hall. He had been told that he had a roommate, but not who.

He got to his room: it was a green door with the number 130 on it halfway down a white hallway. He knocked softly on the door.

"Yeah?" a boy with short brown hair opened the door. "Han hyung? What are you doing here?"

"Joonmyun!" Lu Han exclaimed happily. "I'm your new roommate."

"Really? Well, come in!" Joonmyun stepped aside so Lu Han could walk passed him with his bags.

"Minseok?" Lu Han said, as he saw the short boy sitting on a bed with a book in his hands.

"Hey, Han!" Minseok greeted. "What's going on?"

"I'm Joonmyun's new roommate. Do you sleep here as well?"

Minseok nodded with a smile.

"Um, Minseok hyung sleeps on that bed." Joonmyun pointed at the bed Minseok was sitting on as he had closed the door. "I'm sleeping in the bunk bed on the bottom, and I guess you'll be sleeping on the upper bed then." Lu Han nodded and put his bags up against the wall. He looked around the room.

"The bathroom is out here." Joonmyun showed and Lu Han nodded. "And if you need anything just let us know. There's not much other than what you can see."

Lu Han smiled. "Thank you."

Joonmyun sat down on his own bed again and started reading what he had probably stopped to open the door, while Lu Han just awkwardly stood in the middle of the room. Minseok looked up from his book, and saw the boy in front of him looking lost around the room.

"You can sit here if you want, Han." He swung his legs down from his bed and Lu Han walked over to it.

"Thank you," he said as he sat down, but kept looking around the place.

"Are you okay?" Minseok asked him. Lu Han looked at him.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

"No reason." Minseok shrugged.

Lu Han looked at the ground. They were silent for a while. The only sound to hear was Joonmyun occasionally flipping a page.

"I'm kind of tired. Is it okay if I get ready for bed?" Lu Han said at last. Minseok nodded and Lu Han stood up, taking his bag and walked to the restroom. He closed the door behind him, and when he opened it again ten minutes later, he was wearing baby blue pajama pans and a white t-shirt. He went over to the bunk bed and looked at it pondering for a moment.

"Oh, I forgot to say," Joonmyun said and looked up at Lu Han. "To come up to the bed, you have to climb up on the table and then further to the bed, or you can perhaps jump. It's a judgment call. I'm sorry."

Lu Han looked at him for a moment. Then he said: "That's okay. I can just climb up on the table. No problem." Then he gently pulled out the chair that stood under the table, so as to easily climb up on it. With both Minseok's and Joonmyun's eyes on him, Lu Han stood up on the chair, before going on the table, and then with slightly effort he climbed to the bed. Joonmyun and Minseok slightly smiled, and Lu Han got under the covers and found a perfect way to lie.

"Goodnight," Lu Han said.

"Goodnight, Han hyung," Joonmyun replied. "I'm really glad to have met you, and I know you'll be happy here."

"Goodnight," Minseok also said.

Lu Han smiled slightly as he closed his eyes.

 

 

"Why weren't you friends with the others? What about uncle Kyungsoo?" Sohee asked.

"Yeah, and aunt Baekhyun?" Chanhee agreed.

Minseok and Luhan smiled at them. "Well, we became close friends with them after we became a band. There were so many trainees and we couldn't be friends with everyone. But we did know of each other," Luhan said.

"And also, Baekhyun wasn't a trainee at that time, Chanhee. Neither was Jongdae," Minseok told.

"But when did you and baba become boyfriends?" Ji Yong rushed Minseok. Minseok smiled.

"We're heading there," he said, and continued the story.


 

A/N: excuse my lack of knowledge of the kpop-trainee-period. I don't really know how it works in that industry... this is purely taken from my imagination.

I hope you liked this chapter and look forward to the next one~ I will try to upload once a week ^_^