Girlfriend 101

Suho and You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You’re so hungry. That was a very long practice for tomorrow’s Play Me episode. Most of the songs requested were pop ballads and there were some English songs too. 
According to Mr. Gong, the line for requesting was only opened last night right after EXOs confirmation and so many people have called and sent video messages. 
‘As expected.’ That was what Mr. Gong said. He said he got the chosen songs the morning after and he had to collect the notes and do the arrangements the entire day. He was obviously very tired earlier but he still stayed until he was satisfied with your sound. 
He’s such a dedicated man. He loves music and his job so much that’s why he’s so good at it. 
“Midnight snack?” You heard Dona’s voice behind you. She looked like she already slept but just woke up. She’s probably going to get water. It’s already 11pm. 
You put the carton of seafood jjajangmyeon that you ordered at the restaurant by the station on your way home; on the table and smiled at your friend. “Actually, this is my dinner.” You said and as expected, Dona glared at you. There goes your second mother and about to give you a tongue lash about missing dinner and all. So before she even starts ranting, you raised your hands and started explaining. “I can explain! I can explain!” Then Dona crossed her arms over her chest and raised a brow at you, waiting for your explanation. “Before I left this afternoon, we ate a lot and I wasn’t hungry during our dinner break so I just had bread and juice.” You reminded her of the Thai dish she cooked for lunch and how you two ate pizza for your afternoon snack before you left for Yeouido. 
Nodding, Dona left her spot in front of you to get a glass of water. “Okay, okay... Chillax... I’m just going to get some water.” But the moment Dona reached the fridge and even before she opened it, she turned to you with a full smile on her face. “So, your birthday is in three days. Are you and Suho going somewhere? Or maybe he hasn’t told you yet? He probably plans to surprise you!” She looked so excited. 
In the past two years, you never celebrated your birthday the way it was celebrated back in your country where your mother would bake cake and people close to you are invited for dinner and stuff. Here, you treat it as just another day and you keep that day to yourself; of course except from Dona who already knows it and who’d still buy you cake that the two of you eat in the middle of the night after work and she’d give you a gift afterwards. 
But this year...
This year there’s Joonmyeon. You bit your lower lip. “A-actually it’s me who hasn’t told him yet.”
Dona’s face soured and she looked at you like you’re an abstract painting giving her a headache. “And what- god help me- good reason do you have for not telling your boyfriend about your most important day?” She has her hands on both her sides, looking like she’s scolding a child now. 
“T-truth is, it never came up. I mean, the topic.” Dona’s face contorted even more so you hurried on your explanation. “We talked about something else the last time. It was more important. And I wasn’t even thinking about my birthday until you reminded me just now. Plus I’m a little occupied with the arrangement I’m working right now and Joonmyeon is really busy, he’s got overseas shows and they’re working on their new album.”
Dona’s eyes flashed and closed into slits. “And you think that reason’s enough not to tell him about your birthday?” You shook your head. “Goodness, Maya! Go back to school and learn about Girlfriend 101!” She fanned her face with her hands. She pointed a finger at you and gave you a face.“Tell him...” You immediately nodded and she seemed satisfied with that, then after she got her glass of water she disappeared as fast as she appeared. 
Shaking your head, you focused on eating one of your favorite Korean food. Then you remembered your conversation with Mr. Gong earlier, he asked you if you’re done with the melody for the lyrics he sent you before. You’ve actually been working on it and is really really almost done with it and since you have more free time now than before because you don’t teach anymore and Play Me is your only regular gig, you might be done with it by this week. 
The great thing about having your music chosen for that drama was because you are expecting a really big pay check by the end of the month. It’s really big. Plus, if they like the melody you created for the lyrics, you’ll have another big chaching coming. Of course money doesn’t really matter but it’s a good bonus especially because Seoul is a really expensive city. 
You were humming the RnB melody you created for the beautiful lyrics when you heard your message alert tone. You picked your phone while still chewing and wondered who’d text you at this hour, although you already had your suspicions and actually seeing his name on the screen only made you smile and shake your head. 
-Annyeonghaseyo!- 
You rolled your eyes. It’s been six days since that drunk-dialing incident that fixed your love problem. But since that day you left his apartment, you never saw him again. They went that afternoon to Hong Kong for a two-day SM Town concert. Joonmyeon texted you that they were back by Friday but they had to finalize their preparation for their comeback next month so they had to do some more photoshoots, filming and dance practice. But fate had decreed you’d meet again even without efforts from both of your sides. Maybe the fates favored you and him? Then you laughed and typed your reply. 
-Hello.- You replied in English. He’s probably checking if you’re still awake.
As you wait for his reply, you continued feeding yourself and you’re already in the middle of chewing and swallowing that really long batch of noodles when your phone rang. It wasn’t the message alert tone. It was a call. You hurried on swallowing the food in your mouth and the moment you finally got it all in, and as you reached for your phone; it stopped ringing. You frowned at your phone as if you can see Joonmyeon looking at your dissatisfied face because he gave up so easily. So you called him and your heart jumped the moment you heard his voice again. Not that you don’t speak over the phone because you actually do everyday since he calls you before bed. But you guess this reaction is something you have to deal with for a while as you try to get used to the idea that you’re finally in a relationship with him. 
“I thought you already fell asleep.” He said. 
“Ahniyo, I was eating.” 
“You just came home?” 
You nodded as if he could see you. “Ne.” Then you remembered about their guesting tomorrow evening. “Yah. Why didn’t you tell me EXO is going to appear on Play Me tomorrow?” 
You heard him laugh. “Are you interested?” 
What? “Why wouldn’t I be?” 
“I’m always the one telling you things and I don’t want to force information on you anymore if you’re not interested.” He sounded like he’s teasing you but you can tell that he’s trying to tell you something too. 
“Yah!” You raised your voice but put a hand over your mouth immediately when you realized what time is it. You don’t want to wake Dona. “What are you trying to say?” 
“Nothing.” He said in a sing-song tone. Well, he wants you to figure out what’s wrong for yourself. Could it be possible that he knows about your birthday already? 
Hang on. He said he’s always the one telling you things... “Is it because I didn’t ask or-?” You voiced out your thoughts. 
“You never ask.” He said immediately after and you paused. There’s really something wrong. Why would he put emphasis on the word ‘never’? What is it that you never ask him about? If it’s about your birthday, you wouldn’t be the one asking right? Coz, you’d be the one telling him something. 
“How’d I ask you and what would I ask if I don’t know what to ask?” Wait, that was confusing. Joonmyeon is making you confused. 
You heard him sigh. “Do you miss me?” He suddenly asked. 
“Why are you suddenly asking such weird questions?” You asked him. You’re not really one of those people they call cheesy. You’re not even so good with words that’s why people around you have to squeeze you to get what they want to hear from you, especially if it’s any of those sweet nothings that a lot of people seem to be fond of. 
“See? Do you hear yourself right now? You don’t sound like a girlfriend. You don’t sound like my girlfriend.” He finally revealed and you’ve finally realized what he’s trying to say and make you be fully aware of. Dona’s words earlier repeated unbidden in your head. 
“Yah, Suho! You already know how I feel.” You whined. He’s guilt-tripping you because he wants you to tell him sweet things? He’s probably playing with you again. He knows how uncomfortable that makes you. Oh my goodness, being a girlfriend is a harder task than making music!
“I miss you everyday, that’s why I call you every night. Did you even realize that you never call or text me first? We shouldn’t be having this conversation

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter