The Meaning of Smile

Suho and You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“In Music Bank!”
“She’s my tutor.” You and Joonmyeon said at the same time. Then you both looked at each other. You were giving him a look and he was doing the same thing to you. Both silently willing the other to take what was just said. 
Mr. Gong suddenly laughed. “I can see you two didn’t rehearse your answer.” 
Dona laughed right after while the doctor was stopping his. 
You cut your first-to-blink game with Joonmyeon to explain the situation. “We met at the Music Bank.” You said again. 
Joonmyeon chuckled and leaned to whisper something to you ear. “You’re lying.” He said, the brush of his warm breath sent chills all over your body. “Do you want me to kiss you in front of them?”
You pulled away from him and looked at him trying to gauge if he’s joking or not. Joonmyeon smirked at you. “You signed an NDA and I didn’t. So there should be no problem if it came from me, right?” He uttered. 
You gulped. Come to think of it. He has a point. 
“She’s my English tutor.” Joonmyeon said, smiling at the three who were all gawking at him. 
“Just your English tutor?” Dona asked and you turned to her intending to give her a look but she’s not even looking at you. 
“That’s personal.” Joonmyeon answered playfully. “But for now, yes.” He added and you can see Dona’s jaw dropping as she gasped open-mouthed. You know she’s stopping a squeal. 
You absent-mindedly put your hands over your face and groaned but you felt the stinging sensation again. It was because of all those trill and vibrato that you did. “Ouch!” Joonmyeon was quick to carefully take your hand.
“Doctor, you should put on the wrist splint now.”  He said. 
“Ahniyo, I told him I’ll put it on later because Mr. Duerre said I have to come out again in the hall for a short meet and greet.” You said and remembered the concert. “Is it over?” 
Joonmyeon shrugged. 
Mr. Gong confirmed that the concert was over after probably receiving a text message. 
“I have to go back now.” You said and stood despite everyone’s opposition. 

$$$

Joonmyeon went back to wherever he left Chanyeol while you rushed to your waiting room. Just in time, David came in looking for you. And just like what he promised, he gave you a piece of his mind. He told you to take care and to exercise more. The kind of exercise that focuses on the muscles on your arms, wrists and fingers since those are the parts you often use when playing. 
His worry and concern is so sincere you wanted to video tape the entire conversation and watch it over and over again until your golden years and you’d still probably cry each time. 
Then Mr. Duerre appeared and called David, Jungah and you out. You don’t exactly know what’s going to happen but Mr. Duerre told you that it’s like a very short meet and greet with some important people from the audience. You’ve never exactly been in this kind of situation before. 
The coordinators motioned for you three to enter a door. You and Jungah followed David and the moment you stepped inside the room, you were momentarily blinded by the camera lights that started flashing as soon as David came into the people’s view. You stopped, you were still behind a standee of the promotion company that helped bring David to South Korea. 
“David! One pose please.”
“David!” 
Shoot. This is a photo session? This is so embarrassing. Do you really have to do this? There are a lot of photographers taking pictures of David right now.  
“Go on, Maya.” Mr. Duerre pushed you forward. “Smile.” You staggered into the open. 
“Oh it’s Maya Cruz.” You heard some people say. 
“Maya, here!” You followed that voice and panicked for a while. Does that person want to take a picture of you? You pulled Jungah closer to you. You don’t like people taking pictures of you. You don’t even have any social media account so hating selfie is already a given to you. You forced a smile on your face and never let go of Jungah. You’re very uncomfortable with this. 
“Maya-sshi, a solo for the newspaper!” Says someone and you reluctantly let go of Jungah. How the heck are you going to pose? Do you just stand straight with hands on your sides or make a peace sign? Shoot. This is harder than playing violin with an injury. Just kidding. 
Mr. Duerre also called you out so they can take a picture of David, Jungah and you. Then thankfully after that, some coordinators appeared in front so they could stop taking pictures. Mr. Duerre was now guiding you three to another room which you realized is actually a hall where there are people drinking wine and socializing with each other. 
“What’s this, Mr. Duerre?” You couldn’t help asking. 
“This is a short meet and greet for those who bought the VIP ticket package that includes a photo op and autograph signing privilege.” He explained. 
You remembered you haven’t gotten any autograph from David, it would have been an epic fail since he’s leaving tomorrow. And even if you hate taking picture of yourself, a picture with David Garrett is definitely an exception. You’ll definitely make him sign your violin.
You stayed in the corner because you thought that the meet and greet was only for David when someone approached you and congratulated you about your performance and then asked if she could take a picture of the two of you. Overwhelmed at the situation, you agreed to it when after she left a couple spoke to you and said good things about your performance and they also asked for a picture with you. This is new. 
“Kamsahamnida.” You bowed to them and watched them leave to get to David this time.
“Noona!” You heard Chanyeol’s lively voice behind you and when you turned, you saw him beaming at you with Joonmyeon beside him. He reached to shake your hand and you offered him your uninjured one. “Chukhahaeyo. You did well, noona. I took a video of you.”
“Chincha? What are you going to do with it?” You asked.
“He posted it on Instagram.” Joonmyeon said. 
“Do you have an Instagram? You should follow me, noona.” The boy said.
“I don’t.” You said and his face fell. 
“Ahhh, another social-media hermit. You two are really for each other.” Chanyeol commented; referring to you and Joonmyeon and you felt your cheeks burn. It’s like he’s already acknowledged something about you and their leader. Something that even you haven’t fully acknowledged yet. “You’re so pretty tonight, noona. Especially when you play.” The boy added and it only made you blush even more.
“Don’t say things like that, Chanyeol-ah.” You really don’t know how to deal with praises because you don’t know how to tell when people are just being polite or they really mean it. Most of the time you think they’re really polite. 
“Hyung, take a picture with me and Maya-noona.” He gave his phone to Joonmyeon who was shaking his head as he obliges. 
“Take your hand off her shoulder.” Joonmyeon said and the younger boy automatically removed his hand from your shoulder. 
“Are you serious? I never knew this jealous side of you, hyung.” Chanyeol commented. 
“Yah, I told you she has an injury and your followers might get jealous and I don’t want them to hate on her for no reason.” He explained. 
“Algesumnida.” Chanyeol said laughing.
Then Joonmyeon saw Jungah and he left to drag the boy to join the picture to Chanyeol and your amazement. "Wha-" What Chanyeol was about to say was cut.
“Hana. Dul. Set!” He counted and you smiled comfortably this time. 

$$$

You were already wearing a splint on your wrist. Mr. Gong accompanied you this morning to a specialist and they said you have a Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and fortunately for most people who have this, proper treatment usually can restore the wrist and ha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter