The Price of Ambition

Suho and You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You stood when Jungah entered the waiting room again after his performance. You were watching the stage through the coverage on the tv inside the room. 
“Chukhahaeyo...” You told him and bowed.
The boy bowed to you including his very supportive mom. 
You smiled as you watch them go to the corner where their things are. You wondered how it would feel if you had your parents with you here tonight. Then you shook your head with a sorry smile on your lips. It’s impossible. They don’t even know anything about your new career here. Huh. They don’t think playing violin could be a career. They call it a hobby. 
You only have the ever supportive Dona with you tonight. Speaking of Dona, she was the one who did your make-up and she just left to a special seat they reserved to one of your guest to see the concert. She wanted to stay with you in here but you want her to enjoy the performances tonight. 
David Garrett had his press conference earlier before the concert and afterwards he spoke to you and Jungah and gave the both of you his words of encouragement. He’s such a nice person. When you watched him practice yesterday, you were just entranced. You may have even drooled but David deserved your drool.. Haha, just kidding. Then you and him practiced your duet. You were too conscious at the beginning but you were able to pick yourself up and impress him. 
Somebody grabbed you by your left arm and you winced in the stinging pain that attacked you there. You bit your lower lip and turned to whoever it was, only to discover that it was Mr. Gong. You automatically smiled at him but you noticed he’s looking at your face with suspicion. “Gwenchanayo? You look like you’re in pain.” The man asked. 
You’re quick to deny it. You shook your head and laughed, waving your two hands in the air. “Ahniyo. I was just surprised.”
“Gurae?” Mr. Gong raised his right brow, then his eyes looked at something behind you. “Then why did you took an aspirin?” He pointed the two empty foils of the tablet you took earlier. You took a double dosage. It’s already starting to take effect. “Maya, did you have an injury?”
You can’t lie anymore. So you looked around and whispered, “I may have practiced too hard. I’ve had this before and it was fine afterwards. I just have to survive this night. I want this so bad.” You explained as he looked at you with understanding. “This might be a one-time opportunity.” 
Mr. Gong carefully took your arm and gave it an inspection. “You have to see a specialist. If it’s tendonitis, it has to be treated immediately before it gets severe. You said it wasn’t the first time.” 
You gulped. You haven’t thought about that, thinking this is just an overuse injury. You felt so scared that you immediately decided; “I’ll see one immediately.”
Mr. Gong finally smiled at you. “I’m so proud of you. I’m looking forward to your performance more than David Garrett.” You laughed. “I’m serious. I know he saw and heard the same thing I did before that’s why he chose you.” 
“Kamsahamnida.” You said. 
“You’re welcome. I’ll go back to my seat now. The others are there too so we’ll cheer for you.” But before he turned, he glanced at your hand once again. “I know a specialist. We’ll go there tomorrow.” You nodded and gave him a thankful smile.  
You were still smiling even after he left. Mr. Gong is such a warm and sincere person. He’s like a father to everyone in the team, even to you who just came in. 
You heard David’s voice then followed by a translator. There was an applause after. Then David started playing. You immediately focused your eyes on the TV screen as you watch him play. 
When his face was focused, you sighed and smiled. He’s just so captivating when he plays and you saw the same reaction as yours from the women in the audience when the camera showed the viewers. Throughout the performance, the camera showed some familiar people in the audience. You don’t know their names but you know they’re celebrities and/or influential people in business or politics that you always see on the news. 
Your breathing paused when Joonmyeon and Chanyeol were on the screen; both boys looked so focused on the stage. They both looked really handsome tonight. Most of the audience wore semi-casual safe black and/or black and white clothes and so does the two dashing EXO members. You felt so touched that Joonmyeon came to see you perform, it really means a lot to you. You’d also like to think that Chanyeol wasn’t just dragged by his leader but nevertheless, you’re grateful for his presence. 
It wasn’t long before one of the staff appeared on the door of the waiting room and her eyes were on you. She spoke to the radio on her hand. “We’re coming out now.” She motioned for you to come to her. “You’re next.”
Your heart started to pump faster and faster. With your violin at hand, and as you walk towards the stage; you heard David talking about you.
“Tonight, I’d like to introduce to you a very talented girl who captivated me with her very own composition. I want you to be bewitched the same way I was...” He said. You wanted to stop and replay every single word. You wanted to scream and cry at the same time if possible. It’s like you’re in another universe where dreams are actually reality. But this is reality, right? It’s just so surreal that you’re starting to doubt. But regardless, you are going to do your best. When you heard your name, you saw David look at you and beckoning you to come up to the stage. 
You tried to steady your feet because you’re not really good in heels but Dona insisted since David is so tall and you don’t want to look like a dwarf beside him. You heard the translator speaking as you walk towards the smiling David and took a deep breath before you faced the audience who were welcoming you with their applause. 
Shoot it. There’s too many people. You bit your lip and bowed to everyone. The moment you raised your head, the first face you saw was Joonmyeon’s. They’re actually sitting right in front of the stage on the first raw. He smiled and nodded at you. You remembered his words last night. Actually all the members tried to encourage and motivate you. Told you not to be afraid and not to let the crowd eat you. They also offered tips from personal experiences and you tried to remember all of them now. Having EXO as part of your support group is just superb. 
Chanyeol gave you a thumbs up and you smiled and turned to David who was now telling the audience that you will play your original composition you called ‘Ghost of you’. 
When David left you on the stage, you took a deep breath and positioned the violin on your left shoulder. You made sure that the shoulder rest is properly set on your shoulder blade so the violin doesn’t slip and move as you play. 
The conductor is waiting for your cue. You gave them the notes to this piece ahead of time and yesterday you practiced this with the orchestra’s accompaniment. You took one of the deepest breath you had to take in your lifetime. You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter