Anxious

A Lack of Normalcy

Hongbin POV

    I prepared myself over and over again. I knew just what I was going to say. As I saw her approach I lost all thought.

    “Hey Hongbin!” She waved cheerfully as she approached.

    I smiled and handed her the cappuccino I had bought her. She brought it to her lips and inhaled deeply before taking a sip. “I thought you could use a pick me up. You have been working a lot lately.”

    “Well, the bills need paid somehow.” She shrugged.

    “Um, well, you don’t work today, right?” She shook her head no and took another drink. “Great! How would you like to come over and meet my roommates? They are a rowdy bunch, but I am sure you would fit in great.”    

    I was terrified. We had been friends for almost a year now, and I longed to be much more. Knowing the rules, I couldn’t ask her for a date unless I got approval from the rest.

    Kyungsoon’s eyes darted around nervously. “They don’t bite. Well, Hyukkie does, but I’m sure we have a muzzle somewhere,” I joked in attempt to make her more comfortable.

    She giggled “Ok, It’s just anatomy for me today. Do you want to leave after that?” I grinned and nodded. “Ok, well I’m about 10 seconds from being late, so I’ll see you in an hour.”

 

    Once she had retreated inside, I pulled out my phone and called home. Hakyeon answered the phone on the third ring. “Binnie!” He greeted me excitedly.     

    “Hey mom,” I replied casually. “I will be bringing her over once she gets out of class. It will be about an hour and a half before we get there. Make sure everyone behaves... please?” I begged.

    There was a soft scraping as Hakyeon covered the mouthpiece of the phone before yelling, “Hey, guys! Binnie is bringing a girl over!” From the other end I head a few goading comments as well as a screech and a bark.

    I chuckled softly. “First, make sure there is none of that, but please make sure everyone is there. This is important to me. I really care for her.”

    “Of course. I will keep them in line. Just relax and trust your mama.” I rolled my eyes and ended the call.

 

Kyungsoon’s POV

    Classes went by quickly, but I wasn’t really paying attention. My mind was replaying everything I knew about Hongbin’s home.

 

I had met Hongbin in early spring of the previous year. Against my better judgement I had gone to the lake. I sat there looking over the still surface.

    Very few people came into the woods, even to see the lake. There were horrible stories about tragedies that had happened here. I was too new to the area to be afraid, or to believe the stories. Birds flew overhead and chirped in the trees. A twig snapped behind me drawing my attention. A red fox was about 50 feet away. He looked at me inquisitively, before darting away. There was another snap, followed by the click of a camera’s shutter. I looked to my left to see Hongbin.

    I was weary of the handsome stranger, but then he smiled. His dimples drew me in and made me want to trust him. He walked toward, his smile growing. When he moved to show me the screen of his camera I flinched, making him laugh. “Take a look,” he said showing me the picture he took of the fox as he darted back into the forest.

“You really have some talent,” He beamed at the compliment. “Do you take a lot of pictures here? I’ve heard the forest has a dark past, and is very dangerous.”

“I was actually on my way into town. I guess you could say I take a lot of pictures here.” He lifted a hand and pointed into the distance. “If you look closely, I live there.”

Squinting, I could make out a large cabin home. The exterior was the same color as the trees and it blended in perfectly. I nodded and he continued, “What are you doing out here in these cursed woods?” He asked.

I chuckled, “I don’t believe in curses, and I just wanted to escape the stress of the town and watch the lake.”

He nodded, “let me walk you to town, you should probably go back before the sun goes down and something less friendly decides to make you a meal.”

 

Since then we have been nearly inseparable. I also knew that he lived with 5 other boys and that he was one of the younger ones. I didn’t know their exact ages or even their names. I trusted Hongbin completely, but something was making me anxious.