Like a Cat

A Lack of Normalcy

Kyungsoon’s POV

    I woke up to the sun shining on my face. The curtains in my bedroom were thin and cream colored, letting the light in. I sighed happily and stretched. It was Saturday. I didn’t have any classes on Saturday. The clock on my nightstand read 7:00am.

I threw back the corner of the blankets and stepped into my slippers. The air in my apartment was cold. I shivered and reached across my bed to grab the corner of my disheveled blankets. As I pulled the pale blue cloth towards me, I uncovered a black mass of fur. I lept back quickly and let out a squeak of surprise.

Leo’s eyes snapped open and his ears perked up. He slowly lifted his head to look at me. Only his ears betrayed his surprise. His eyes scanned the room, before he once again rested his head on his front legs.

    I laughed at my own foolishness. I had completely forgot that I had brought Leo inside the night before. I finished making the bed and went to the window to look outside. Drawing back the curtains, I saw a thick coat of fresh snow covered the ground and the parked vehicles below.

    I let the curtain fall back into place and walked out of the room. Leo jumped off the bed and padded after me. I went about my normal Saturday business. Breakfast was prepared first, and then I sat and ate in silence. Leo curled up on the couch to watch me. Once I had finished eating I joined him on the couch.  

    I covered myself with a blood red fleece blanket, and pulled the unwilling cat onto my lap. He squirmed, but eventually needed at my lap until he was comfortable. I the TV, more for background noise than for actually watching.  My thoughts were all on Taekwoon.

    “What do you think Leo?” The cats ears perked and he lifted his eyes to meet mine. “I scratched at his ears, and he stretched out his neck, pushing his head into my hands. “I don’t know that I should like Taekwoon."  I sighed.

    Leo’s head snapped up, pulling away from my hand. I returned my hand to Leo, this time gently his back. “I don’t know what it is about him. I keep picturing those striking features, and that moment in the kitchen.” I paused. Looking no where in particular, I sighed. “I wish I could have understood the emotion behind his eyes.”

    I looked back down at Leo. He stared at me. It was as though he understood every word. His eyes seemed to offer comfort. “Thanks Leo. You’re very easy to talk to.” I smiled, rubbing at the soft fur behind his ears.

    My phone buzzed, bringing my attention to the time. “Goodness! It’s already 9:30!” I unceremoniously dumped Leo aside as I threw back the blankets. He repositioned himself and sat where I had left him. I ran into my room and threw on my clothes for work. The awkwardly fitting kahki pants and white polo that constituted a uniform were still rumpled from my shift 2 days ago. “Guess I’ll have to do laundry tonight.” I muttered as I tied my hair back into a ponytail.

    Grabbing my backpack that acted as a purse, I dashed out of the room. Remembering at the last minute, I returned to the couch to uncover the buried remote and power off the TV. Leo hopped up and stretched, following me out of the apartment again. “Don’t you think it would be better to stay inside today?” I asked Leo.

    The look he sent seemed to be says, “You’re kidding right?”

    I chuckled, “My bad. I’m sure you have a girlfriend to get to.” We rode the elevator down, and we once again went our separate ways. “Bye Leo,” I waived. The cat stopped and looked back. His head dipped down and he let out a soft mew before leaving.

 

Taekwon/Leo POV

    I lightly trotted back towards my normal alley. The snow made the trip more awkward than normal. My fur stood on end as I noticed I was being followed. My first instinct was to turn and face the approaching enemy. You're a cat, Taekwoon. A house cat. Think like a house cat. I sat back and scratched at my neck, using the angle to look behind me.

    Cat, Taekwoon. Not a dog! I mentally scolded myself. Internally I shuddered as I began to at my raised leg. It was Minki, Kyungsoon’s new neighbor. Enough of that. I stood and continued to trot.

    I sent my alley a mournful glance as I passed by. I continued past the next two alleys as well. Finally I settled on an alley, four streets from Kyungsoons apartment. I entered the alley and approached a garbage can. The can was on its side, and the trash in it was spilled onto the ground. The garbage came from a seafood restaurant, and had many other cats picking it over as well. I sauntered over to join them. I positioned myself so I could see the entrance.

    Minki stopped at the entry. He poked his head down the alley and visibly drew back at the smell. After a moment he stepped forward to investigate. He scanned over all the cats in the alley. Scratching the back of his head he mumbled, “Man, I must be losing it. How could I think a house cat could be a shifter. I should focus on that leopard.” He walked out head down, “If Hyunjae finds out about this, I’ll never hear the end of it.”

    I waited several minutes, until I was sure he was gone, before returning to my alley. I tried to stay as hidden, but being a black cat in the snow made it difficult. Once in my alley, I returned to my human form. On the north side of the dumpster at the very bottom, there was a loose brick. I pulled lightly on it and retrieved a set of clothes that were hidden in the space behind it.  I stayed alert as I dressed quickly.

    Once dressed I reached into the hole in the wall and pulled out my cell phone. I hit my speed dial for Hakyeon. He answered on the 2nd ring. I interrupted him before he said a word, “Get the boys together.  We have to talk.”