Ken

A Lack of Normalcy

Jaehwan’s POV

    I circled the sky above the pet shop for what seemed like the hundredth time. I had been watching Kyungsoon for the last three hours. I had watched her feed the kittens and the puppies. Then she restocked the dog food and treats. The last thing she did was feed a delicious looking lizard some very delicious looking crickets. I was hungry.

    Kyungsoon walked out the door and waved to the boy who remained behind the counter. I considered my options carefully. Kyungsoon made the walk home every other day without any issue. I should be able to eat and the come back. I reasoned. It’s only 8pm. The sun has gone down, but its still early enough that she should be ok.

    Before I talked myself out of it, I swooped down landed behind the coffee shop. After double checking that there was no one near I shifted back to human and dressed quickly.

    After spending 30 minutes eating at the cafe attached to the coffee shop I decided I would walk to Kyungsoon’s apartment. I trudged through the snow for 10 minutes before I began to regret my decision. I came to a stop in front of her apartment building. I observed my surroundings, my mouth open slightly.

    That’ll work, I thought, looking at the adjacent apartment building. I can easily see into Kyungsoon’s apartment from there.

    As I was about to cross the street to make my way to the roof of the other building I heard an argument. A young woman with unruly curls the color of dark chocolate that hung down her back just past her shoulders, was arguing with a greasy looking man. The man had his hand on her arm, just above her elbow and was pulling her. I looked around frantically for someone who would step in to help her.

    The girl looked over her shoulder and I met her mossy, hazel eyes. I felt as though I had been struck by lightning. Her eyes lit up and she smiled, “Ken! There you are.” The man looked up and saw me. I lowered my eyebrows and shot him a fierce glare. He let go and stumbled back a few steps before quickly walking away, occasionally looking back over his shoulder to check if I had followed him.

    The girl turned around completely and walked over to me. “Sorry about that. I didn’t mean to put you on the spot.” The girl grinned brightly. “I’m Chohee.” She out her hand.

    I looked at it a moment before awkwardly holding out my hand. “I’m,” I started.

    “Sorry for calling you Ken. It was the first name I thought of.” She stood up on her toes and touched the top of my hair. “You kind of remind me of a Ken doll come to life. Well I imagine that the nose would be a little smaller, but.” I reached out and put my finger on her lips to stop her rambling. “You are still really handsome."  She continued around my finger on her lips. “How do you get your hair to stay up like that?” This time I covered with my palm. “I assume it’s hair gel, but how much do you use.” She continued to mumble into my hand.

    I pulled my hand away and she rambled on. I sighed. Grabbing her shoulders, I pulled her forward and briskly pressed my lips to hers. We wore matching shocked expressions. After a few seconds we slowly pulled apart and stepped back.

    It took me a moment to regain my composure before I ed my hand out. “My name is Jaehwan.” Timidly this time, she shook my hand. Her eyes were still wide with shock. “It was very nice to meet you Chohee.” She nodded, not saying a word. I grinned at the thought that I was able to make such a talkative girl, silent. “I guess I will see you around.” I gave her a wink before turning to cross the street.

    Before entering the building I looked over my shoulder one more time. She stood there with two fingers gently gracing her lips. was open and her face was flushed.

Showing great restraint, I made my way inside and up to the roof. I wanted to rush back to Chohee, and never leave her side. Is this what Taekwoon felt? How could he be ok with not being able to talk to her?

I shook my head and sent a group text.

Jaehwan: I found her.

Taekwoon: Found? You were supposed to be watching her!

Wonsik: She give you the slip already? lol

Jaehwan: Not Kyungsoon! Chohee.

Hakyeon: Who’s Chohee?

Hongbin: The girl who lives above Kyungsoon?

Sanghyuk: She’s a hunter too?

Jaehwan: No, She’s mine.

Hakyeon: Great. Just keep an eye on them both and let me know if there is trouble.

    I put away my phone and stripped, hid my clothes, and shifted. I sat perched on the corner of the roof. Not only did I have the perfect view of Kyungsoon’s apartment, but of Chohee’s as well.

 

I felt that it was about time that I introduced some other characters to help move the story along. Let me know what you think :)

Thanks again to all the subscribers! I am glad to hear that you enjoy my story!

 

 

 

 

 

This is a Black Kite. I see them as fierce, but also very entertaining which is why I choose them for Ken.