A puppy

A Lack of Normalcy

Minji’s POV

    The dog just sat there watching me. It followed me wherever I went. I tried my best to focus on my daily routine. I busied myself with making muffins. The dog sat just outside the kitchen. After a few minutes he curled up and rested his head on his paws. Curled up on the hardwood floor, like this he seemed almost harmless.

    I didn’t always hate dogs. It wasn’t until a dog attacked me when I was five. I had a nasty scar on my left leg, just above my knee to serve as a reminder of what a dog could do.

    Once the muffins were in the oven, I went to sit on the couch and read the chapters that were required for class tomorrow. The dogs eyes followed me as a stepped around him. He stood and watched me take a seat on the old couch. I started reading, at first I kept looking up to make sure I could still see him.

    The the oven dinged indicating that the muffins were done. I rose and let them out before returning to my spot on the couch. I curled my legs up beside me. At some point I forgot about him completely. I finished the chapter and set down the book so I could stretch. I extended hands far above above me head and felt my sweater pull up exposing my stomach. I reached down to rub at my feet. They were much warmer than they usually were. I let out a ear piercing scream, when my hands met fur.

    The dog jumped up in alarm. He started growling and looked around. The growling made me more anxious. I started to slowly walk backwards away from him. He cocked his head to the side cutely, and then mimicked my movements. He bumped into a throw pillow. After turning to inspect it, he burrowed underneath it, and turned around so that he could watch me.

    I chuckled softly, “He is kinda cute. I guess.” I left him to play and sat to eat one of the cooled muffins. I picked at the muffin, staring it down so I was not focused on the puppy. I felt something soft hit my barefeet and looked down to see the throw pillow, with small gray ball of fur attached.

    I smiled, amused. I took the pillow and tugged gently shaking it back and forth. Once he released the pillow his head dropped down. He stuck his tail in the air and began to wiggle. I giggled and tossed the pillow back onto the couch.

    His nails clicked as he ran to couch, sliding a little as he took the turns too quickly. He stopped and looked at the pillow, and then back at me. He repeated this for a few minutes before running back to me. He sat at my feet and looked up at me with large brown puppy eyes.

    I turned back to my snack, and tried my best to ignore him. Without warning, he jumped up onto my lap. I let out a squeal, and froze. He pulled up on his hind legs looking at my muffin. He let his tongue hang out as he panted. I moved the muffin and his head followed the movement. I took off a small piece and held it towards him. He looked back at me, his eyes asking if it was really ok. Leaning forward his small pink tongue pulled the crumb into his mouth.

    I smiled as he let out an excited bark. After a few more bites he curled up on my lap to sleep, while I finished eating.

 

Sanghyuk’s POV

    How could she be afraid of dogs? I mean, I’m a cute adorable puppy. How am I scary? I can be scary, sure, but not while I’m a puppy. I huffed internally as I watched her finish the muffin.

    She picked me up and set me on the floor, and took the dishes to the sink. I followed her to the stairs. I had to leap to follow her up to her room. Minji pulled out a pair of pajamas and began to undress. Startled I hid under the bed. Peaking out from underneath I was able to follow her movement.

    As her pants fell to the floor I tried to look away. I knew I would be blushing if I were in my human form. My eyes were drawn back to the scar above her knee. I could see the teeth marks, and the long gashes it tore in her porcelain skin. I growled unconsciously, scaring Minji. She jumped back and landed on her . Her eyes locked with mine as she scooted until her back was against the wall.

    I slowly came out from under the bed. I approached her, and it made me angry to see her shake as I drew nearer. I stopped at the scar and she whimpered. I watched her carefully as I let my tongue caress her leg. I am not sure either of us were breathing. I placed another puppy kiss on the scar.

    Minji started to cry. I backed up thinking I had scared her. She leaned forward and scooped me up into her arms. She placed a kiss on the top of my head, “Thank you, that was just what I needed.” I let out a small bark and began to her tears away.

    We heard a car door slam and the front door open. “Minji?” Her grandmother was home. Minji set me down and put on her pajama bottoms, and rushed out the door. I followed.

    “Grandma, I’m over here.”

Her grandmother smiled. “Is your homework done?” Minji nodded, “Did you have dinner?”

“Not yet, I was just about to make some spaghetti.”

Her grandmother nodded and, Minji went to the kitchen. I began to follow. “Ah, ah, not you little pup.” I cocked my head to the side and gave her a confused look. “You and I need to talk.”

    She crooked her finger and motioned for me to follow her. Her room was on the first floor. Inside most of the room was taken up by her large bed, but what drew my attention were the plants on every surface. There were a few that held flowers, but most held what appeared to be overgrown grass, or weeds.  

    She sat on the bed and looked down at me. I sat on the floor and stared back. She smiled, “It’s nice to see you back here, but I didn’t expect to see you return so soon.” I stood and barked at her in surprise. She let out a short laugh, “I saw a little more than I let on, but you need to find the rest of the answers yourself.” She stood and walked to the back door. She bent over and whispered, “You best get home, I bet your friends are worried.”

    She opened the door and motioned for me to leave. I followed her instruction. She smiled and shooed me with her hands. I turned and took off running. Once I was inside the tree line I shifted into a wolf and made the rest of the run home.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Finally some puppy Hyuk. This is how I imagine puppy Hyuk:
  
And this is him as an adult wolf: