Chapter 27

A Lack of Normalcy

Minki’s POV

    I had a great time playing charades. They were really funny, and nice. When I was first told to come to this town I was worried. The typical new town worries. Would I make any friends, would I be able to locate my target.  They didn’t give me much information, just to look for anything that seemed out of the ordinary. So far the only thing I found odd was a cat.

    At least that cat led me to Kyungsoon. It was nice to have friends, and maybe I could subtly ask them about anyone who seemed off in the town. I also needed to find out more information about the curse I kept hearing about.

    Kyungsoon seemed like she was ready to leave and I agreed, but asked first for the location of the restroom. Following Hongbin’s instructions I exited the room. Seeing the study, something drew me in.

    Inside the study I saw bears. There were pictures of bears, and bear figures. I almost expected to see a bear skin rug. The books were covered with a thick layer of dust. It seemed like an up popular room. I shrugged, and exited the room making my way to the bathroom. I finished my business quickly.

    As I returned to the sitting room I thought about the rest of the home. Of all the rooms I saw, there were only pictures of animals. I did not see a single family picture. Back in the sitting room I brought up the subject, “So why don’t you have any family pictures.”

    Hakyeon looked like deer in the headlights of an on coming vehicle.

    “They aren’t really big on pictures.” Hongbin answered, “Most of the pictures are things I took, or liked. I didn’t think it would be right for my family pictures to be on the walls of Hakyeon’s grandparent’s house.” He gestured upstairs with his hands, “I have plenty in my room if you’d like to see them.” He offered.

    I shook my head satisfied with his answer. “You must really like bears.”     

    Hakyeon choked on the water he had been drinking. Haewon lead out of the room. I assume toward the kitchen.

    “Not really, but Hakyeon’s grandmother collects figures. I found the pictures later and they seemed to complete the room.”

    Miyoung snorted, and Wonski poked her gently in the ribs. They seemed like an odd group. They made a lot of inside jokes, but I wasn’t sure if I found that odd because I was an outsider. I guess knowing the story behind the inside jokes would help.

    Strange doesn’t mean supernatural, I reasoned internally. They seem harmless.

    I followed Hongbin, Taekwon, Chohee and Kyungsoon back out to the car. Hongbin drove, and I sat in the front. Kyungsoon sat between Chohee and Taekwoon. Taekwoon had insisted on coming with us. He seemed over protective and had not left Kyungsoon’s side since we arrived. I had to admit they were cute together.

    We drove in silence for a moment, Chohee having fallen asleep as soon as the car door shut. “What do you guys know about this curse I keep hearing about?” I tried to casually bring up the topic.

    Hongbin shrugged, “Honestly, I don’t know much. Until six months ago we only visited on vacation.”

    “I know that the curse says that there will be fire and loss of life.” Kyungsoon offered, “Chohee would know more.”

    I nodded, sad that they weren’t able to provide me with much information. They were also new to the town, so I couldn’t have expected them to have all the answers I need. They had been helpful so far, and I only hopped that they would be as helpful in the future.

 

Kyungsoon’s POV

    We arrived home and waved goodbye to Hongbin. Taekwoon also exited the car. I sent him a confused look, but he only waved goodbye as well. The four of us rode the elevator together. At the third floor three of us exited leaving Chohee to ride up to the fourth floor. I knew it was likely that Jaehwan was either waiting for her, or on her way.

    I often heard them laughing well into the night, which explained Chohee’s exhaustion in the car, and inability to make it to her classes on time.

    I stopped at my door and waved at Minki as he continued walking. Taekwoon nodded. I fumbled with my keys and unlocked the door. Taekwoon silently followed me inside. I turned to face him after setting down my purse. “Why did you come up? You aren’t staying.” I had not allowed him to stay since I found out that he was Leo.     

    Taekwoon turned me around and helped me out of my coat. He placed it on the coat rack by the door, and the removed his own. “I’m staying.”

    “No you’re not.” I stated firmly.

    “You have a hunter living two apartments down. I am staying.” He hardened his gaze and looked at me. “I don’t care if you want me to be Leo and sleep on the couch. You are not staying alone.”

    I threw up my arms and let out an exasperated “ugh!” as I gave in. I didn’t have to look over my shoulder to see Taekwoon smiling at his victory. “Fine, but you’re Leo, and sleeping on the couch.”

    His smile fell, and he nodded. I left the room to change for bed and brush my teeth, and returned to find Leo on the couch. Taekwoon’s clothes were folded neatly and placed at the opposite end of the couch. I grabbed a throw blanket and placed it over the Leo, before returning to my room to sleep.

    

    Part way through the night, I got up for a glass of water. Leo mewed and followed me back to bed. He curled up at the small of my back, and I let him. The warmth felt nice, and he was a cat.

    

    When I awoke Sunday morning. I felt arms around me. I smiled and snuggled into the person holding me. After a moment my eyes shot open. This was human hand. I studied the hand for a moment. I closed my eyes and traced a hand up the arm, confirming my fears. He was not wearing a shirt, and likely was without pants as well.

    I threw one hand over my eyes and quickly stumbled out of bed, “what are you doing?” I screeched.

    I heard Taekwoon yawn, and separated my fingers to take a look. Thankfully his lower half was covered by blankets. He looked adorable as her first woke, and that body. I stopped myself and closed my fingers again. “Taekwoon! Why are you in my bed.” I paused, “?” I questioned.

    I heard rustling and peeked again to see that Taekwoon was wearing pants. I exhaled relieved. “Sorry, I shifted to use the bathroom last night and was too tired to shift back. I wanted to wake and shift again before you woke up.” He apologized, but didn’t really look apologetic.    

    “Some protection you are.” I mumbled angry.

Taekwoon shrugged and left the room. I made the bed and changed. I exited to see him standing in front of the refrigerator now wearing his shirt as well. He pulled out eggs and milk and began to prepare breakfast.

  “So what are your plans for today,” I asked as I started the coffee pot.

  He shrugged, “Same as your’s I guess.”

  With the coffee pot brewing, I opened the blinds to the balcony door. Once they were open I was about to see eight inches of fresh snow. “I guess we are staying in.” I stated plainly.     

  Taekwoon poured two cups of coffee and set down two plates on the table, “I guess we are.”

 
 
 
Sorry, I couldn't think of a good name for this chapter. 
I hope you enjoyed it anyway