Visited

A Lack of Normalcy

Minji’s POV

    We continued to discuss the vision I had for a while longer. We came to the conclusion that we had been performing some type of ritual. It was something that we didn’t want these hunter’s to find out about. I had no clue what they meant by hunters, but I didn’t question them. It was one more thing to add to my mental list of questions for Sanghyuk.

    There were so many gaps between what I knew and what they knew. Chohee and Kyungsoon made plans to research the ritual based on what I described. I felt guilty not being able to be more help.

    I glanced down at my watch and saw that we had been talking for over three hours. I tried to subtly pull on Sanghyuk’s sleeve to get his attentions. He bent forward so I could whisper in his ear. “It’s eight. I need to go. It’s only Wednesday, I have school tomorrow, and homework to finish. The I have to water the plants in the greenhouse.” I realized I was rambling again and stopped myself. He turned to look at me grinning.

    Our faces were only an inch apart. I turned bright red and looked away. The conversation had died, and they were all looking at me with amused grins. My face burned with embarrassment. I stood, “I,”

    “Hyuk, go with her.” Hakyeon waved his hands in a shooing motion to encourage Sanghyuk’s departure.

    Sanghyuk put on a face of mock seriousness, “Yes, sir!” He saluted and grabbed my hand to pull me after him. I looked back over my shoulder and waved goodbye. Most waved or nodded. Wonsik winked at me, making my face burn again.

    “I have an 80% rule with the hyungs.” Sanghyuk started once we were in the car. “I can take about 80% of what they say seriously. Most day’s that’s being generous, but with this whole hunter thing going on, they are serious much more often than normal.” He chuckled.

    “Speaking of hunters, what are the hunters after?” I paused debating on the next question. “What are you?”

    “For the first question, these hunters seem to want to kill anything that isn’t human. I think you would be ok, because as a seer, you can’t really hurt other people. So far we only know of Minki being in town, but I am sure that there are other nearby.”

    He shifted in his seat so that he was watching out the side window. “At first he was just after the girls, Haewon, Soyoung and Miyoung. We can’t say for sure that he knows that we are shifters too, but he will find out.”

    I pulled to a stop in front of my house. “Can you stay for a little while? I want to know more.”

    He shrugged and nodded. A few minutes later we were settled at the table, each with a cup of fresh peppermint tea. “How can you be sure he is going to find out about you being a shifter?”

    “If they go after the vampires. We can’t just sit by and watch. Being a shifter, we have soulmates. There is one person in the world who is meant for us. In the last three weeks, all of the hyungs have found their soulmate.”

    “What will happen if something bad happens to their soulmate?” My voice took on a soft, almost timid tone.

    Sanghyuk looked up and smiled at me softly, “If they are injured, normally we would feel their pain. From what I heard it’s not true pain, but more the area goes numb, or tingles like when your foot falls asleep.” He chuckled softly, “If they die, usually the first few days they feel intense physical pain. After a few days the pain subsides, but they are usually driven insane. Most are successful in killing themselves.”

    I nodded somberly, “And what are you? what can you shift into?”

    He opened his mouth to answer, but was interrupted by a knock at the door. I looked at him terrified, and he let out a low growl. I held up my hand and told him to stay where he was.

    I looked out the window to see a stranger on my porch. He had a pleasant smile and waved at me. I opened the door, “Hello?”

    “I’m sorry to bother you so late. I came by earlier but there wasn’t anyone home. I was hoping to speak with your grandmother.”

    “I’m sorry she isn’t hear this evening.” I said firmly trying to hide the shakiness in my voice.

    “Oh, I’m sorry. Maybe you can help me? I am looking for information on the prophecy that she foretold a while ago.”

    A cold chill ran down my spine, making the fine hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. “Those stories are nonsense.” My confidence was gone. “I’m sorry I don’t think I got your name.”

    The man smiled and held out his hand, “I’m Minki, and I don’t mean you any harm.”

    A pair of strong arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back. Sanghyuk stood in front of me, blocking my view of the man I now knew to be a hunter.

    “She really isn’t any of your business. If you want to speak with her grandmother you will have to come back next week.”

    I stood on my toes to peer over Sanghyuk’s shoulder, using my hands to help pull me up. I was able to feel house tense he was through the thin layer of his t-shirt.

    Minki was smiling wide, “Sanghyuk! What a pleasant surprise to see you here. What are you doing here?” After a moment without a reply Minki chuckled, “When the grown ups are away the kids will play, I guess.”

    Sanghyuk stood in the doorway trying to be as imposing as possible.

    Minki’s smile faltered, and he chuckled again more nervously, “I guess I’ll take my leave.” Minki turned to leave. Just before reaching his car he turned and threw a small, green, plastic ball.

    Sanghyuk caught it easily, and looked at it puzzled. “What was that for?”

    Minki shrugged, “Nice reflexes.” He held up his hand indicating that he wanted the ball back.

    Sanghyuk rolled his eyes and threw it back. He stood on the porch until Minki had driven out of sight.

 

Minki’s POV

    Once I was out of sight of the house I pulled over and inspected the green plastic ball. When I contacted Hyunsoon most recently she sent me an email with instructions on how to mix chemicals into a paint to make the color change based on body temperature. It worked a lot like a mood ring.     

When a human held the ball it would turn yellow. When a shifter held the ball, their naturally warmer body temperature would turn paint on the ball red. Vampires would turn the ball purple, because of their naturally lower body temperatures.

Such an innocent toy was able to tell me that Sanghyuk was in fact a shifter. I grinned triumphantly at the the ball and turned it over to reveal the red hand print from where he had caught the ball.

 

 

 

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I had a lot of fun writing it!

Thank you for reading!