Running

A Lack of Normalcy

Minji's POV

     The van pulled to a stop at Haewon's house and my mouth fell open in shock. The girls climbed out quickly, still chattering happily, but moving with purpose. With a brisk pace we made our way down the path to the old camping site where we would find the stone circles that would be needed to the spell we were going to cast.

      It felt like hours, but was only about ten minutes before we arrived. Chohee reached into a small leather pouch and pulled out a ornate knife. I walked around the circle just as I remember doing in my dream. I stopped at seer, and waited for Chohee to hand me the knife. The knife had been cleaned on a handkerchief. I let the cold blade rest against my palm before slowly letting it slide. It cut through the flesh of my palm like butter. The pooling blood and the stinging sensations brought me back to the moment. I made a fist and squeezed staring fixated as the blood hit the stone.

      The ground hummed and stone in the center rose making an alter. It was then that Hakyeon, Sanghyuk and Wonsik walked out of the woods toward us. They embraced Haewon and Miyoung respectively. Sanghyuk wrapped his arms around me and I could feel him shaking slightly. I wasn't sure if it was fear or adrenaline. “I’m so glad you’re ok.” He breathed.

      Hakyeon released Haewon and addressed the group, “Taekwoon and Hongbin have led them away for now. We need to get this done quickly.”

     Chohee once again reached into the pouch and pulled out a bag of mixed herbs, and a small vial of blood. She rifled through it for a moment before looking up with panicked eyes. "Hair. Minki gave me everything we needed except human hair."  We had been silent for a little while, but Chohee's alarm got us all talking again. Everyone was chattering. Technically Sage's and Seer's were seen as supernatural and not human, and then there were the vampires. I felt a hand take the knife from my own. I turned to look at Kyungsoon. She took the knife to a section of her long hair, and two inches came off in her hand. She walked forward confidently and set it on the counter. We all stared at her open mouthed. "What? I'm human."

      Everyone began to laugh until Jaehwan's cry from above jerked us back to reality. I took the herbs and opened the bag as Chohee started on the pentagram. I pulled out a small handful of the herbs and smelled them taking in the rich aroma. When she was finished I sprinkled the herbs in a circle around the pentagram and placed the lock of hair in the center. Once it was finished we stood back and waited.

 

Taekwoon's POV.

      When the hunter pulled in front of me on an ATV I reacted on instinct and jumped to the left narrowly dodging the vehicle. I saw that Hongbin had dodged to the left. Even if they hadn't been able to trap or corner us, they were able to separate us, which was nearly as bad. The ATVs split, one following after me, and the other close on Honbin's tail. We darted in and out of trees that were close together for protection and looped around to meet together, before once again taking off.

      We needed to get them off of the ATVs, or the girls needed finish the spell quickly. I scanned the terrain looking for anything that would aid in losing the ATVs. I turned in the direction of a small creek that I knew was too deep and narrow for the ATVs to successfully cross. If they were to go around, it would take at least five minutes even on the ATV. If they were on foot they could easily climb or leap across.

     As we reached the creek, I saw recognition flash in Hongbin's eyes. We lept across the small stream. Mid leap I felt a sharp sting in my front right shoulder. When I hit the other side my front leg gave way, and I tumbled tail over head to land on my back. I saw Hongbin slid to a stop to look back at me with worry in his eyes. I let out a fierce growl. Thankfully Hongbin understood that I meant he should go on to get the others. Hopefully Jaehwan would also be able to alert them.

    

    With the arrow in my shoulder I was unable to shift. If I tried, the muscle and bone near and around the arrow wouldn't properly reform into my human shape. It would likely injure me further. We had succeeded in getting them off the the ATVs. But one of the Hulks were grinning down at my like I was dinner. My eyes darted between all of them glaring at each. Slowly I stood and hopped backwards favoring my lip paw.

    With each step they took I became more hostile, baring my teeth and growling. A moment later Minki ran up panting with full arms. I wasn't quite sure how he had made his way to the back of the group.  

    "Wait, wait," He said between pants, "Let me do it! please? This was supposed to be my first mission."

    One of the girls rolled her eyes, and shoved a large hunting knife toward him. He grinned and took it from her. "Thank you!" He stepped toward me with caution and I pulled back further My back was now to a group of trees.

     All at once I was filled with regret. How could I agree to this? Kyungsoon had tried to warn us all that he would betray us. I should have know it was a trap. Why did I let them talk me into this. At least it's me.

     It seemed to take for ever for Minki to reach me. He looked back at the woman once more before turning to look at me. He sent me a wink, and reached for the arrow in my shoulder. As soon as his hand touched it I let out a growl. Minki mouthed, one, two, three, and pulled the arrow from my shoulder. I let out a shriek of pain, and the hunters laughed.

     The woman who had handed Minki the knife stepped forward and kicked him over. "What did you do that for? Now he can shift!" Minki stood back up and shrugged. They began a heated discussion and I took advantage of the time, and shifted. Once human again, I could feel the muscle and tendons in my arms working to rapidly repair themselves.

     In my human form I was able to slip into the trees behind me. Once hidden from view, and on the other side of the trees, I shifted again. The shoulder was still tended, but at least I could run again, and I did just that.

    


 

I didn't intend for it to take this long to get this chapter up, sorry. 

I hope you enjoyed the chapter! 

Please comment and subscribe! I love you all! ♥