Bottled Water

A Lack of Normalcy

Haewon’s POV

    My face burned at Soyoung’s comment. I closed the book, stood, and turned away from the majority of the group. I walked over to the wall where Hakyeon had disappeared. The rest of the rowdy group made their way out of the large room.

    I peeked over my shoulder to ensure I was alone. I had no idea where he had gone, only that he had come from this vine covered wall. I started at one corner and ran my hand along the wall, looking for anything that would open. After a few minutes I gave up and started pounding on different areas of the wall. Hakyeon opened a door about 10 feet to the left of where I stood. He shot me a confused look. He stepped onto the grass and shut the door. He looked around for the other boys, “Did they leave?”

    I nodded.  "Why are you hiding? There are hunters in town!  We have to get this figured out.” I tried to sound angry, but I was too focused on the way his sweat made this hair stick to his neck and forehead. He held a bottle of water in one hand. He opened the bottle slowly, and kept his eyes on me while he took a drink. My mouth became dry as I watched a drop of water escape his mouth and run down his neck. When he swallowed, I swallowed too.

He gave me an amused smile and took another drink. Unconsciously I my lips and bit down gently on my bottom lip. Hakyeon choked on the water. He quickly replaced the lid and turned his back to me. I could see that he was using the towel from around his neck to wipe his mouth.

When he finally turned back around I sent him a glance. I hoped it said ‘idiot,’ and not ‘I want you for dessert.’

He flashed me a toothy grin. “So what’s your plan?” He asked casually, walking back to the center of the room to sit.

I sighed and followed after him. “I don’t have one yet. I was hoping that the leader of this clan of shifters would be brilliant and have something worked out.”    

He shook his head. “Nope. Well, I am brilliant,” He corrected, “But no plan.”

“Right.” I nodded slowly, stretching the word to fill several syllables. “So how many hunters are even in town?”

“One” He shrugged, holding up a single finger.

“OK, and why does one lone hunter have you running scared?” I asked, already starting to feel exasperated.

“Well, I think the main concern was that Chohee and Kyungsoon live in the same building as our hunter.” He shifted his position. “Alone, he isn’t a threat, but we can’t confirm that there aren’t others in town. Taekwoon is mostly worried about Kyungsoon being taken as bait.”

“Then we need more information. The only issue is gathering it.” Hakyeon nodded and moved over to sit beside me. I looked at him and scooted over so there was a space between us. “The best way to do that would be to get close to them.” Hakyeon closed the gap I had created. I glared at him. “Why are you doing that?” I asked angrily.

He smiled, “Doing what?” He asked innocently.

“It’s like you’re trying to sit on my lap.” I gave him a gentle shove and stood. “Do you have any ideas?”

Standing, he grinned, raised his eyebrows and answered seductively, “I have a few.” I let out an exasperated breath. He chuckled and stood, “Taekwon won’t let us use Kyungsoon as bait, but Chohee is already considered a friend. We can get Jaehwan, and a couple others in the circle as well, and we will be able to find out more information that way.”

I grinned, “You are brilliant! A Vampire bite will keep a shifter from shifting for about 24 hours. It would be untraceable. They would never know. If we use Wonsik’s poison we can get Miyoung, or Soyoung in as well. Vampires don’t get fainting spells.”

Hakyeon looked at me confused. “What? I didn’t know that there was anything that could keep a shifter from shifting, and Wonsik’s poison makes Vampires weak?”

I nodded smiling. “That’s why were are all here before the sun’s even up. Miyoung bit Wonsik after clubbing. Wonsik can’t shift or heal, and Miyoung is very weak, she also gets dizzy very easily.” I chuckled. “Who would think a sickly person is a Vampire. If Miyoung bites Ken and Wonsik, they can get close to this hunter, and gather information.”

Hakyeon smiled and leaned closer to me. I started leaning back to avoid him. Just before I fell he looped his arm around my waist and pulled me upright. “Told ya I was brilliant.” He winked, and left the attic.

I stood there dazed for a moment. I shook my head and sighed. After running one hand through my wavy curls, I picked up my book and followed after Hakyeon. I stopped to turn off the light, and noticed the glow in the dark constellations on the ceiling. “Idiot.” I mumbled before closing the false wall, and going to join the rest in the second floor sitting room.



 

 

Sorry, This chapter is shorter than I intended. I hope you enjoy. There will be a longer chapter tomorrow (hopefully :)