Wrong Answers

A Lack of Normalcy

Haewon’s POV

    My home had been overrun by shifters and giggly girls. I sat in the window seat of my study with a Jane Austen novel. I wore long sleeves and sweat pants, and had a ball cap on to hide my face from the harmful rays of the sun. I tried to focus on the words scrawled across the pages, but found myself looking out the window. Beyond our front door was a winding path that lead into town.  When I looked to the back door, I saw the trees of the forest. Being winter, the ground was dusted with a light snow.  I could still see some of the grass peeking through, it seemed like the tiny pin pricks of green constituted the only color outside.

    The trees have shed all their leaves and they too were lightly dusted with snow. The wind tore through their branches, making them sway and the house creak. I hated this time of year. Everything seemed dead.

I stood and sat the book on my desk, careful of the binding. I closed my eyes and cursed at my imaginary partner. I covered my mouth with my left hand and let out a girlish giggle. Delicately I set my hand in my partner's, and let him lead me to the dance floor. I held out my right hand, and placed the other on his shoulder. I began to hum an old favorite, and let my imaginary partner waltz me around the room.

    Once I had finished humming the tune, I stepped back and clapped politely. Upon hearing additional clapping, my eyes snapped open, and I saw Hakyeon. He had a big grin on his face and was clapping appreciatively.

    “I had know idea you knew how to dance!" He beamed, excitement on his face.

    I raised my eyebrows and cocked my head to the side. “I’m over 500 years old. You really think I never learned to dance?”

    “You have a lot of sass don’t you?”

    I stuck my tongue out in reply, but quickly retracted it. Why do I let him get to me? He has me acting like a child.     

    I turned and made my way back to my seat at the window. I reopened the book, and continued to read. Trying to ignore Hakyeon’s inquisitive gaze.

    Out of the corner of my eyes I saw Hakyeon walk over. He snatched my book and began to investigate it, “What ya readin’?”

    I grabbed the book back quickly.  “It’s none of your business.” I returned it to its place on one of the many bookshelves. “What are you doing here anyway?”

    He grinned like an idiot.  “I got a text from Wonsik saying that this was the place to be.”

    “Really? Because Miyoung dragged him off as soon as he got here, and I’m not sure I’ve seen them come up for air.”

    Hakyeon chuckled. “What can you expect? They are two crazy kids in love.”

    I lifted an eyebrow.  “Kids? I don’t think you can call them that. What are you? Two? Maybe three years older?”

    “So I guess I would know best, wouldn’t I?” I really wanted to wipe that smile off of his face. He seemed to be taunting me with every word.

    I calmly walked back to my desk and sat down. He sat on the corner of the desk facing me. “Why do you always look so cross?” He asked with a slight falsetto, trying to imitate my tone.

    “I’m not cross, and I don’t sound like that.” I stood again, and made my way to another book shelf. I ran my finger along the spines as I read them.

    “Are you cross with me? Did I do something to upset you?” His voice lost it’s joking tone, and I felt bad for being so short with him.

    “Yes. No? I don’t know.” I groaned in exasperation. I waved my hand over my shoulder, dismissing him. When he didn’t leave, I turned and gently pushed past him. I walked back over to the bookshelf where I had returned my previous book, and pulled a book off the shelf at random. I sat down at the desk, closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I slowly pulled the book open at a random page.

    “What are you doing?” Hakyeon asked. He had followed me again, and was now leaning on the opposite side of the desk.

    “I am trying to find an answer.” I stated. My eyes scanned the text for a phrase that stuck out. “Ah ha, this is it.” I read the words aloud. “She prized the frank, the open-hearted, the eager character beyond all others. Warmth and enthusiasm did captivate her still. She felt that she could so much more depend upon the sincerity of those who sometimes looked or said a careless or a hasty thing, than of those whose presence of mind never varied, whose tongue never slipped.” I sighed and slammed Persuasion closed.

    “I guess that’s not the answer you wanted?” Hakyeon chuckled.

    I walked over to the shelf with my Jane Austen novels and returned Persuasion to it’s place. I thought for a moment before choosing Emma. Hakyeon followed me and pulled down Pride and Prejudice.

    I sat at my desk and repeated the steps, “There is safety in reserve, but no attraction. One cannot love a reserved person.”

    Hakyeon chuckled, and challenged with, “To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love.”

    I snatched back the book, and returned them both to the shelf, and sat down with a sigh. I closed my eyes and placed my head in my hands. I heard a needle scratch against a vinyl record, and music began to drift into the room. I heard the click of the door lock. When I opened my eyes, Hakyeon was walking toward me with his hand held out. Stubbornly I shook my head no.

    He didn’t push, and instead posed a question, “Why aren’t those the answers you're looking for?”

    “I just don’t believe that love is an option for someone who will live until she is brutally murdered. Or for one who has to feed off the life of another.” I stated annoyed, “I also have to be responsible for Miyoung and Soyoung, and now there are hunters to worry about.”

    “Those all sound like excuses, and if you don’t want your answers to be about love, you should look in a book that’s not written about romance.” He chuckled and held out his hand again.  “What’s the harm in one dance?”

    I gave in and placed my hand in his. I allowed him to bring me around the floor. My mind and body were at war. I wanted him to hold me closer, but I also wanted the song to end quickly.

    He danced incredibly well. I began to relax into his arms and enjoy myself. When the song ended, a new record was added, and soft, slow, jazz music began to fill the air. I started to pull back, until I felt his hands at my lower back. He guided me back to him, and we began to sway in time with the music. I looked up at him with panicked eyes. He smiled softly, and I gave in to one more song. I gently rested my head on his shoulders first looking away from him, but after a moment I turned so I could see his face. He smiled at me again, “See, this isn’t so bad is it?” His voice was deeper and huskier than normal. I could only nod.

    The song ended and I was brought back to reality. I pushed him away gently.  "Yes.  That was terrible.”

    He laughed at my lie. Leaving me standing in the middle of my study, he walked over to the phonograph, and removed the needle. He unlocked the door, and looked over his shoulders. He met my eyes with challenging look.  “I guess I’ll be leaving. Have fun looking for answers.” He walked out and shut the door.

    I clenched my fists in frustration.  I rushed to the door and tore it open. “Wait.” It angered me to see him resting against the wall, looking at me innocently. He raised his eyebrows questioningly. “Take the other two with you.” I stated firmly. I watched as his grin faltered, and he turned to leave. I sighed, angry with myself. “After lunch.”

    I had just enough time to think, where did my spine go? Before he picked me up and spun me in a full circle. In my surprise, I giggled.

    He set me down, his wide grin planted firmly upon his face once again. "You’re stunning when you smile. You should smile more.”

    

 
 
 
 
 
Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy the chapter! 
 
I got my 2015 VIXX Season's Greetings today! I may have spent a little too much time flipping through it over and over. lol