Meeting

A Lack of Normalcy

Kyungsoon’s POV

    My anatomy class ended shortly before noon. Hongbin was waiting outside on the steps. “Hey!” I greeted. “Can we stop by my place first? I want to drop off these books, and see if Leo is around.”

    Hongbin shrugged, “I don’t mind, but who is Leo?”

    We started walking. “Oh, Leo is what I have decided to call this cat that followed me home last night. He really didn’t seem like a stray. He he was well groomed, and in good shape. No parasites, or missing patches of hair.” Hongbin nodded in understanding. “I guess I don’t really have a reason to worry. Even if he was a stray, cats are predatory animals by nature. He can take care of himself.”

    We quickly arrived at my apartment. I wasn’t able to find the cat. There were a few strays, but no Leo.

    Hongbin drove us to the lake house he shared with his five good friends. “So why haven’t you told me anything about these friends of yours?” I asked.

    “There isn’t really anything to tell,” he looked over at me and smiled. “We are just six guys who have known each other for years. Our families knew each other, so we grew up close.” Returning his eyes to the road he finished, “we are pretty boring really.”

    “You live in a forest that is rumored to be cursed. The house you live in is an old lake house with three stories.” I rolled my eyes, “Sounds far from boring to me.”

    He shrugged again, “The house has been in Hakyeon’s family for a while. The house is large, because there used to be six families visiting regularly. My dad likes to joke that the curse is why they don’t return anymore. I really think they just don’t want to make the drive.”

    The house came into view. There were 10 windows on the front and large double doors the color of pine needles. Each door had large brass knockers in the shape of bears holding a ring in its mouth. “Did it look like this last time, when I saw it from the lake?”

    Hongbin chuckled, “Yes, we haven’t changed anything in years.” Hongbin killed the engine and removed the keys. The doors to the house flew open, and a young man dashed out. He quickly opened my door and held out his hand, offering to help me out of the car.

    I lightly placed my hand in his, “Thank you,” I looked at the ground carefully watching the placement of my feet as I exited the SUV.

Once I was out of the car, the stranger held out his hand, “I’m Hakyeon, but Binnie calls me mom, or N.” I raised an eyebrow and looked at Hongbin. “I’m not sure where mom came from, but when was little he couldn’t properly say my name, that’s how I got saddled with being N.”

“Ah, I understand,” I nodded. “I’m Kyungsoon. It’s a pleasure to meet you.” I finally made eye contact with Hakyeon and took in his handsome features, and mischievous dark brown gaze. His hair was only a little lighter than his eyes.

Still holding your hand, he lightly grabbed your elbow and pulled you up the steps and through the front door. “BOYS!” He hollered. “She is here!” His answer was three pairs of thundering footsteps and more strangers pounded down staircases on either side of the main entry. Through the entry you could see into what appeared to be a sitting room, and then a dining room.

Wide eyed I looked back at Hongbin. He wore a grimace as the three boys approached me. Sensing my distress, Hakyeon coughed and pointed to the sitting room. The boys rushed to the couch, all three trying to get through the doorway causing a tussle. Finally they squeezed on one couch, and another sat empty. I looked back at Hongbin with a raised eyebrow and mouthed, “Boring?”

He grinned sheepishly and we followed Hakyeon in to sit on the couch opposite, the unknown boys. Hakyeon stood behind the boys and one at a time introduced them.

First was Sanghyuk. He was still a high school student. A senior, who had a very tough time sitting still. He had soft brown hair that looked like it was waiting to be touched, and warm brown eyes that darted to look at anything that moved. Hakyeon patted his head and ruffled his hair before moving to the next boy.

Wonsik had bright red hair, and eyes so brown they looked black. He held out his hand to greet me, “I’m Wonsik, the hot one,” He added with a wink. Hakyeon smacked the back of his head and moved to Jaehwan.

Jaehwan watched every move that was made, focusing intently on me. When we locked eyes he smiled cutely, scrunching up his nose. His hair was light brown and feathered.

I introduced myself, and asked to be excused to visit the little girls room.

 

Hongbin POV

“If you go through the study, it’s on your left.” Hakyeon directed. Kyungsoon nodded, and followed the instructions.

Shortly after Kyungsoon left, Taekwoon entered the room holding a mug in one hand. He yawned and covered his mouth with the back of his other hand. “Man, you look terrible. Didn’t sleep well?” asked Wonsik.

Taekwoon shook his head no. Hakyeon walked over to investigate Taekwoon’s mug. “Coffee!” He exclaimed. “I forgot to offer her something to drink.” He looked up at Taekwoon with puppy dog eyes.  “Will you make a pot?”

Rolling his eyes, Taekwoon nodded. “Great! If she is Hongbin’s soulmate then we will need to treat her well.” Nodding again, Taekwoon left the room.

Kyungsoon returned from the restroom smiling. “So, I count four. Didn’t you say you had five roommates?”

I nodded, and Hakyeon answered, “Oh, Taekwoon is making you a cup of coffee. You like coffee, right?”

“Yes, of course!”

Taekwoon reentered the room carefully carrying a cup of coffee. He watched the liquid making sure none splashed over the edge. Once he entered the room he looked up and locked eyes with Kyungsoon. His mouth hung open slightly as the mug slipped from his hands. It shattered on the oak floor, splashing the hot liquid onto his pants. “Damnit,” he muttered while retreating to the kitchen again.

    “Goodness! Is he ok?” Kyungsoon stood and tried to go after Taekwoon.

    “He will be fine,” I replied. “Sit down and chat, while I check on him and get this mess cleaned up.” Kyungsoon nodded unsure.

 

    In the kitchen, Taekwoon had both hands planted firmly on the counter with his head hung. “Hyung? What’s wrong? Did it burn you?”

    “No,” he replied not lifting his head.

    “The what’s wrong? You’re acting odd.” I reached a hand out to touch his shoulder. “I really think she is the one.”

    Taekwoon shook his head no again, “I know that you’re positive that your soulmate is nearby, but it’s not her.”

    I grew frustrated and irritated that Taekwoon wouldn’t support me.  "Why the hell not?”

    My good friend slowly lifted his head to look me in the eye. His expression was pained, “Because she’s mine.”