Rule #1

A Lack of Normalcy

Hongbin’s POV

    “What do you mean, she's yours?"  I asked irritated. “You just met her tonight. You don’t know anything about her."

    Leo stood up, “I’ve seen her before. I’ve never talked to her, but I’ve been keeping an eye on her.”

    I tried to calm myself. “If she's yours why didn’t you even try to approach her?”

    “To keep her safe.” Taekwoon opened a drawer and pulled out a washcloth. He ran it under warm water. Grabbing a dry towel he turned to leave.

     I pulled out a dustpan and grabbed his shoulder to stop him. “You think I don’t want to keep her safe?”

    “We aren’t the only one’s in town” He answered. “If we start fraternizing with humans we are painting a target on our backs, and hers.”

    “What are you talking about?”

    As we reentered the room Taekwoon shot a glare over his shoulder, telling me that the conversation was done, at least for now.

    When we reenterd the sitting room, Kyungsoon’s worried gaze fell on Taekwoon.  “Are you ok?” She stood, wanting to help, but unsure.

    Taekwoon nodded once and knelt to pick up the large pieces of the mug. Kyungsoon rushed forward to help. Five pairs of eyes watched curiously as they cleaned silently. Taekwoon looked up at Hongbin and motioned him forward. He set the shattered pieces in the dustpan, took it from Hongbin and once again exited the room. Kyungsoon picked up the towel and cloth and followed.

    “What was that?” Hakyeon stood pointing after them.

    I shrugged, slinking into an empty seat.  “It’s not like you’ve never been wrong.” This earned snickers from the trio on the couch.

    “So,” Wonsik paused awkwardly, “she is Taekwoon’s soulmate?” moved to sit beside me. “How the hell did that happen? I don’t think I’ve ever seen him leave the house while the sun was up.”

    Hakyeon rolled his eyes and took Wonsik’s vacated seat. “He leaves during waking hours, just not often.”

    “Besides, aren’t you supposed to know right away? Love at first sight, or something like that.” Jaehwan stood and stretched his arms high above his head and the out to each side.

    “Hyung, was that what it was like when you first saw Kyungsoon?” Hyuk leaned forward eagerly.

    I shook my head. “No,” I admitted. “I thought she was stunning when I first saw her. I did want to get close to her, but it was more curiosity than anything. After talking to her, I knew I would want to see her again. It wasn’t until a few months ago I decided that it might be more.”

    Hakyeon placed a hand on my shoulder, “Are you sad that it’s not?”

    I thought about it. “I’m a little sad, but she is still more than a friend. Soon she will be like a sister.”

    “Good, remember house rule number 1: no fighting over girls.” Hakyeon scanned the group with a cautioning look.

    “But you told me there were no rules.” Hyuk pouted. Jaehwan, Wonsik and I started laughing.

Hakyeon threw a cushion at Jaehwan and Wonsik, “Hyuk, shut up. There are rules now.”.


 

Taekwoon’s POV

    I walked into the kitchen and quickly disposed of the broken mug. It wasn’t until I turned around that I noticed that she had followed me. We locked eyes for a second before she started looking around frantically.

    “Uh, what do you want me to do with these?” She held up the rags.

    I reached out to take them from her and set them on the counter.

    “Wait!  It was you!” She pointed at me, her elbow bent and index finger outstretched . I looked at her confused and slightly worried. “You were the one who was standing outside the cafe watching me last night.”

    I shook my head and opened my mouth. “You were watching me.” She insisted

    “I had only just come out of the shop. I did see you playing with the kittens, but I wasn’t watching you.” Unable to look at her without betraying my lie, I busied myself with disposing of the glass filled rags.

    After a moment of silence, I turned to look at her again. Her warm brown eyes bore into me, trying to pry out my secrets. “I don’t think you’re being honest.” She poked my chest with her finger.

She drew her hand back to poke me again, and I grabbed her wrist. “That hurts,” I whispered pulling her closer. She stared at me for several seconds and swallowed deeply. The distance between us grew smaller.  

Hyuk’s laughter brought me to attention. Stepping back quickly, I shook my head and cleared my throat to rid myself of dangerous thoughts. “You should go back. I’m sure Hongbin is waiting for you.” The words were thick in my throat and reluctant to be said.

She only nodded, but I noticed the color in her cheeks change to a flattering pink. She’s cute. I thought. She’s mine. She turned and left. I exhaled as I leaned against the counter. What am I going to do?