Watched

A Lack of Normalcy

Kyungsoon’s POV

    After returning downstairs, we played a few board games. Jaehwan winning most with a total of 3 victories. Once the games were finished Hakyeon prepared dinner. Dinner was loud, most questions were directed at me with the occasional story about Hongbin.

    I didn’t see Taekwoon again. Sometimes Hongbin would catch me watching the door and send me a knowing glance. I excused myself around 6:30pm and thanked Hakyeon for dinner.

    

“Noona, you have to come back soon!” Hyuk begged with a grin.

    I stood on my toes and petted his hair. “Of course! Now that I’ve been here once, Hongbin has no reason not to bring me back.”

    Wonsik leaned forward to whisper in my ear, “You know it doesn’t have to be Hongbin that brings you back.” While pulling back he sent me a wink.

    Jaehwan waved with both hands and smiled wide. “Hyuk is right, come back soon. Its nice to have a challenge again. They aren’t very good at games.”

    I laughed and sent them one final wave.

 

I watched out the window as Hongbin drove. It was peaceful watching the trees pass. Shortly after we pulled away from the house I noticed a set of what appeared to be glowing eyes following the car. I looked around the car trying to pinpoint something that may be causing a reflection in the window.

“Do you see that?” I asked.

“Hmm? See what?” Hongbin asked.

“Those, those eyes alongside the car.”

Hongbin carefully looked out my window. “Oh, him?” Hongbin started to slow the car down. As he slowed the car, the eyes slowed as well. “He will go away in a moment. He won’t leave the woods.”

Looking ahead, I could see we were almost ready to exit the wooded area. The eyes came to a stop as the car continued to roll forward. “Stop for a moment.” Wide eyed, Hongbin complied. I stared out at the animal, silently begging him to come to where I could see him better.

He stayed hidden. “What is he?” I asked.

Hongbin started the car and began to drive again. “He is an Amur Leopard. They are thought to be extinct in this area.”

I looked back as we exited the trees. I felt a pang of sadness. I felt so comfortable and safe in those trees, it was almost like home.

“He is melanistic too, which is even more rare.” Hongbin continued. “I haven’t heard anyone else mention him. I think it’s just the guys and myself who have seen him. Well, and now you.”

“Melanistic Leopard? Like a panther?” I asked. Hongbin nodded in reply, and stopped the car in front of my apartment building.

I gave Hongbin an awkward hug around the center console and exited the car. I jogged around to the other side and waved as he drove off.

    “Kyungsoon!” A familiar voice hollered. Looking to my left I saw, Chohee, the girl from the apartment above mine, skip over, dragging a stranger along. “Hey! Did you just get back from a date?” She asked waggling her eyebrows suggestively.

    “Nah, I haven’t had one of those in ages. No time.” I tapped at my vacant wrist. “I was out with Hongbin. He introduced me to his roommates.”

    “Ah, so it was a date.” She giggled. “Oh where are my manners. This is Minki. He just moved in on your floor even. If things with Binnie don’t work, maybe you two could get together.”

    The stranger, Minki, pulled his arm from Chohee’s. He timidly held out his hand. As I reached out to return the handshake, I felt something rub against my leg. I gasped and looked down “Leo! You’re back.” I leaned down and picked him up. Minki pulled his hand back and wiped it on his pants before tucking it back in his coat pocket.

    “Speaking of Leo, have either of you heard rumors of a melanistic leopard being in the area?”

    Minki’s eyes became focused. “A melanistic leopard? Those are incredibly rare in the wild, and leopards are extinct in this area. Where did you hear a rumor like that?” Minki questioned.

    His interest made me uneasy, “Just a story I heard in one of my classes recently. Probably no weight to the rumor.” I shrugged and busied myself with petting Leo.

    “Well, I’d best go in for the night. Goodnight girls.” Minki waved to us and reached out to pet Leo. Leo leaned forward in my embrace and hissed fiercely. Minki pulled back his hand startled and waved again before going inside.

    “Wow, looks like you’ve got yourself a guard cat.” Chohee commented. She cautiously reached out her hand toward the cat. Leo watched the hand draw nearer. He seemed uninterested.

    I patted his head gently, “Fickel cat. Come on Chohee, lets get inside.”

    

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This is what a melanistic Amur Leopard would look like:
  
 
The second picture is how I imagine Leo.