Upside Down

A Lack of Normalcy

Miyoung’s POV

    Wonsik looked amazing. While Haewon was talking, I tried my best to focus on her, but my eyes kept drifting back to him. Every time he made a smart- comment, I would reach over and pinch or elbow him. Not because I disapproved of what he said, actually I found most of it hilarious, I mostly did it so I could touch him.  As a Vampire, I was used to being cold all of the time. I liked the warmth he gave off. I wasn’t used to being around anybody other than my sisters.

Occasionally, I was able to talk them into letting me go out. Normally the venom from a vampire bite gave the victim great pleasure, and they wouldn’t remember being bitten.  Haewon still made us promise not to feed without permission. I understood why, the more you feed the hungrier you become. Who would want to be hungry all the time?

Haewon reached out and snapped her fingers in front of my eyes, pulling my attention back to the issue at hand. I noticed that I had inched a lot close to Wonsik. The boy in the corner with spiky hair cackled. I shot him a deadly glare, but he only laughed harder. “So I understand our venom preventing him from shifting, but why am I so weak?” I questioned.

Wonsik cast me a sheepish grin, “Tiger keelbacks are both venomous and poisonous. We secrete poison from a gland on the back of our heads near the neck.” He pointed to where I had bit him. “You will likely be fine in a few hours.”

Haewon clapped. “Glad we got that sorted out.  Now, back to the issue at hand. Hunters trying to eliminate us all. How many of you are here?”

“There are six shifters,” Hongbin answered, “but we also kind of have a human, and a sage with us too.”

 

    There are six of them, and they have a sage with them. What if they decide to betray us?

I looked over my shoulder at Soyoung and replied, They wouldn’t.  I trust them.

Soyoung sent me an amused smile, but you don’t trust anyone. Not even me.

I smiled back, well I know you trust that Hongbin more than you like. I don’t know why I have so much faith in them, but my gut has never been wrong before.

 

    Soyoung laughed aloud. Haewon sent her an unamused look. The boys looked very confused. “Sorry."  Soyoung and I apologized in unison.

    “Care to share with the rest of the class?"  Haewon asked. We both shook our heads. The spiky haired kid raised his hand. “What is it?” Haewon asked with great exasperation.

    “Um, teacher, why are they laughing?"

    After hearing Haewon called teacher, Soyoung and I both burst into childish giggles. “We're telepathic.” Soyoung explained.

    Wonsik sent me an excited look and I began to giggle again. Between breaths I added, “Only with each other. You know, a twin bond.”

    “Why don’t well all talk this out?  We can get together; the eight of you, and the three of us. Hopefully this ‘mom’ of yours will have some ideas.” Haewon suggested. She led the way outside to where our car had been parked.

    “How do you know I’m not the one in charge?” Wonsik asked.

    I raised an eyebrow at him. “You called for mom as soon as you found out there was trouble.”     

    He chuckled, “Oh right, I did, didn’t I?” I stood to follow Haewon, and he stood as well. after a few steps the room began to swirl. I fell back into his arms. He had a strong embrace. “Sorry, dizziness is another sign of the poison.” He bent down and placed one arm beneath my knees and kept the other on my back. He picked me up and carried me out to the car. He didn’t seem to break a sweat.

    Wonsik rode with us. We sat in the back, and Soyoung took the front seat. Once Haewon started the car and began to follow Hongbin, Soyoung turned around in her seat. She shot me an evil grin. “You know,” She started innocently, “I think you two are great together. She needs someone to make her weak. I’m surprised she let you help her at all. Normally she is all about showing her independence.”

    I stuck my tongue out at her, “You say that like being independent is a bad thing.” I leaned toward her, and she spun around in her seat. I was struck by another dizzy spell, as strong arms looped around my waist and pulled me back. “I just don’t like being weak.” I said weakly.

    I gave in and rested my head on Wonsik’s shoulder. He kept one arm around me holding me to him. He chuckled, “You’re such a firecracker, even when you’re sick.”

    I sat up a little too quickly. Holding one hand to my forehead to steady the spinning I defended myself, “I’m not sick. You poisoned me.”

    He chuckled again and pulled me back to him. I went willingly, wanting the soothing sound of his heartbeat to drown out the pounding in my head, “It was an accident,” he brushed a strand of raven hair away from my face. “And you bit me, so I think we are about even.” He placed a tender kiss to the top of my head.

    

Hongbin’s POV

    Ten of us sat in the attic. Wonsik and Miyoung lounged in the hammock. It swayed back and forth gently. It was strange to see Wonsik being gentle with anyone.

    Taekwoon was leaning up against a tree with Kyungsoon sitting between his legs. She had her head leaning back against his shoulder. He whispered in her ear and she smiled and bent her head forward letting a curtain of hair fall infront of her blushing face. It was nice to see her happy.

    Chohee and Jaehwan sat side by side on a log, both had their toes in the water. They were talking loudly and laughing often.

    Soyoung and Haewon sat side by side on another log. Soyoung was taking in everything around them, and Haewon had pulled out an old, worn book. She flipped through the pages, occasionally smiling softly.

    Sanghyuk had shifted as soon as we arrived. He baffled me, always preferring to appear as a wolf pup, instead of as an adult. He frolicked through a patch of flowers that Chohee had grown before falling asleep directly under a UV lamp.

    The only one missing was Hakyeon. Somehow in less than a two week period our small clan of six, grew into a family of 11. It seemed odd that three people that we only met this night would be so comfortable in our home. They felt right, like they were meant to be there.

    I sat down on the empty log and reached out to grab Soyoung’s hand. I gave a gentle tug, and she moved to sit beside me, “This place is amazing!” she whispered.

    I chuckled, “Why are you whispering?”

    She shrugged, “I don’t know it just seems like somewhere that we shouldn’t talk much.”    

    At that moment, Chohee let out a belly laugh and kicked her foot, splashing Jaehwan. Of course with her talents, only Jaehwan got wet. Everyone excluding Jaehwan and Haewon began to laugh as well. Haewon glanced up quickly from her book, and returned to reading without a word.

    Jaehwan shook his wet hands and held them out to his sides, as though he were spreading his wings. He gave Chohee an unamused look. “I’m sorry,” She giggled.

    He grinned, “Apology accepted.” He threw his arms around her in a tight hug.

    “KEN!” She screeched. She stood and ran around the room, trying to escape a wet Jaehwan who followed her closely. Even Taekwoon was smiling.

    There was a soft click as a door shut. I turned to see Hakyeon closing a door hidden behind a wall of thick foliage. He wore sweats and a T-shirt, and had a towel draped around his neck. He was dripping with sweat.

    “Hey, Sorry I didn’t notice you guys were all here until I heard Chohee scream.” He smiled and pulled the towel from around his neck. He mopped at his brow, and walked over to where I sat. He held a hand out to Soyoung. “Hi, I’m Hakyeon. Who might you be?”

    Soyoung looked at him wide eyed. She opened and closed . “This is Soyoung.” I answered for her. “Her sister, Miyoung is over with Wonsik, and that’s Haewon.” Haewon looked up from her book. She stared at Hakyeon for a moment and returned to her book.

    Hakyeon nodded, “Welcome,” He turned to me.  “Why are they here?” He asked in confusion.

    Haewon closed her book and set it down.  “We are the vampires you were looking for.” She stated in a challenging tone.

    Hakyeon looked at her, and looked as though he were noticing her for the first time. After a long moment he nodded, and swallowed hard. “Well, I’ll be going back now.”

    He glanced at Haewon again, and turned to disappear behind the foliage hidden door.

    “That’s mom?” Haewon asked. We all nodded. “Just great.” She mumbled before returning to her book. She swallowed hard.

    “Um, Haewon?” Soyoung ventured timidly. Haewon lifted her eyes to look at us, “The book is upside down.”