Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme

A Lack of Normalcy

Jaehwan’s POV

This would be a lot easier if I knew who Minki was. I have no clue what I’m looking for. I thought. I watched Taekwoon as he, in kitten form, walked forward and sat himself down by the apartment building's entryway. Kyungsoon walked the last block home, and after seeing Leo, she picked him up and carried inside. A couple minutes later, I saw the light come on in Kyungsoon’s apartment.

    Leo and Kyungsoon curled up together on the couch. Kyungsoon had a text book open and was reading. Occasionally she would write something down in a soft purple binder. Leo slept on her feet while she continued her routine.  I looked over at Chohee’s apartment, and saw that she was sitting on her couch laughing at something on the TV. Loneliness washed over me.

    I flew down and landed on the railing of the balcony outside her living room. She noticed me after jous a couple seconds.  At first she appeared started, and then confused. I was about to return to the roof to retrieve my clothes, then return home, when she stood and went to her bedroom. Curious I remained on the balcony, hopping closer to the window.

    She returned quickly holding a fluffy, hot pink bathrobe. She walked quickly to the door. She pulled it open, “Get inside quick, its too cold to keep the door open for so long.” I looked around, but we were alone on the balcony. “Are you coming in or not?” She wore a pair of navy blue shorts, and a white t-shirt with the the number 92 printed in the same navy as her shorts. After a pregnant pause I flew inside.

    She stepped back and let me in before closing the window. I perched awkwardly on the back of a dining chair. She set the robe down on the arm of the couch. “I will go into my room. Please change, and the we can talk about why you were watching me.”

    She turned and left. I shifted and put on the robe. Chohee was a short girl. The robe came only to my knees. “I hope you’re decent. I’m coming back in now.”

    She stepped into the room. After seeing me, she stepped back into her room and shut the door. I tugged awkwardly on the robe trying to make it appear longer. I reached out and knocked on the closed door. “Chohee?”

    I heard her take a breath and open the door. “I didn’t realize that you were the creep watching me.” She stepped out. After looking me up and down she burst into giggles. “You look ridiculous.”

    I wrinkled my nose and sent her a smirk. “Sorry,” her giggles calmed. “Why were you watching me anyway?”

    “It’s not like I came here to watch you. I was here to watch Kyungsoon.”

    She put her hands on her hips and raised her eyebrow, “Uh huh. You’re not really helping your case.”

    Reaching up, she placed both hands on my shoulders and pushed me into the kitchen. There was a small table with two chairs. I stumbled backward letting her guide me into a chair. “Talk.” She commanded. She turned her back to me and started busying herself at the sink.

    “Wait.  Before I talk, how did you know I wasn’t just a bird?” She set a mug of milk in front of me and placed two packets of instant hot chocolate on the table before sitting down. “You’re human, right?”

    She chuckled. “Yeah I’m human. I’m a sage.” She reached across the table and ran a single, slender finger around the rim of the mug she had placed in front of me. After the third circle steam began to rise from the mug. She slid it towards herself. Opening the packet of chocolate mix she emptied it into the mug and started to twirl her finger above the mug. The powder became mixed in, and the milk created a funnel in the center as though it was being stirred with a spoon. I watched wide eyed, my mouth hanging open.

    She reached out and pressed the same finger to the underside of my chin. With gentle pressure, she closed my open mouth. “Trying to attract flies?” She asked.

Chohee began to prepare her own hot chocolate “I use the elements. I can heat things, or cause wind. I can move water, and pick up rocks.” She ticked things off her fingers as she listed things. “I’m not powerful. Mostly just parlor tricks. Now if you find a mage, they have the real ability. They're really powerful. The witch who cast the curse on that forest was a mage.” She raised a single finger. “I do have one advantage. I don’t need any materials, or words. They do.” She took a drink. “It makes me harder to stop.” She grinned.

I watched her. Most of me wanted to discard her rambling as nonsense, but she did make sense. I regained my composure. “You sure do know how to talk.”

“Yup, and now it’s your turn.” She took another sip. “Spill it.”

“Fine, there isn’t much to tell. I was watching Kyungsoon. There's a hunter in town."

She nodded, “Minki.” I shot her a deadpan look. “Sorry,” she blushed. I didn’t mean to interrupt.”

I had never had anyone bowl me over in a conversation like she did. I liked it. I liked her.     

“But why Kyungsoon?” she asked. “She is human. Only human.”

“Yes, but she belongs with my very good friend Taekwoon.”

“Is that the cat? Leo?”

I nodded. “Minki followed him earlier today. He's suspicious, and since Leo, I mean Taekwoon, has been seen with Kyungsoon, we needed to watch her to keep her safe.” I took a drink, finishing half the mug. “Wait you knew about Taekwoon too?”

She nodded. “Yeah, and Hongbin, although I still don’t know what he becomes. I do know that he is a shifter. I can also read auras. That’s how I can tell a normal human or animal from something supernatural.”

“Ok, I guess I can believe that. But how did you know Minki was a hunter? Different aura?”    

“No,” she chuckled, “I overheard his phone conversation.”

I laughed aloud, and soon we both fell into a fit of giggles. When we had calmed down, I saw that the clock on her stove top read 11:00pm. “Wow so late already,” She said softly.

I nodded, “Yeah, I need to get going. Taekwoon is downstairs with Kyungsoon, but if anything happens please let me know.”

“How?” she asked.

I raised an eyebrow, “Call, or text.” I chuckled. “What were you thinking? The bat signal?”

She smiled and stood to get her phone. I took both mugs, rinsed them and placed them upside down in the sink. She tapped me on the shoulder and handed me her cell phone. I entered my phone number and handed it back.

“Jaehwan? Who is Jaehwan?” She asked.

“Me. I’m Jaehwan.”

“Oh,” She backed over my name and entered KEN.

She walked me to the balcony door. She stared at me. With a single finger I motioned her to turn around. She turned bright pink and showed me her back. I removed the robe, set it on the couch and shifted. I let out a soft squak to let her know I was finished.

She opened the balcony door, and I once again perched on the railing. “Goodbye.” She said softly. Leaning forward she place a kiss on the top of my head. I turned to fly away and heard her mumble, “He better reply to my texts.”

I stopped by the adjacent roof to pick up my cell phone, and flew home.