At First Sight

A Lack of Normalcy

Chohee’s POV

    Sunday I invited both Kyungsoon and Minki over for lunch. While Minki was talking about an incident at the library where he worked part time, I received a call. Looking at the caller ID display, I read KEN. I giggled, drawing confused looks from both Minki and Kyungsoon. I held up a single finger and stood to take the call.

    Leaving the two in my living room, I jogged into my bedroom and answered the call.  "Hey Ken!  Miss me already?”

    “No!  Yes!  I mean I need to know what you heard from the hunter’s conversation.”  He stated. I heard muffled voices followed by “Stop it.” A crash followed, as well as the sound of someone whimpering.

    I nodded at the phone and reentered the living room. “Sure! I’d love come over!”

    “That’s not what I asked.” I could tell he was confused, so I tried to elaborate.

    “I’ll just have to say goodbye to my guests.”

    I heard silence for a few seconds before a tense “He's there now, isn’t he.”

    “Yes, I can ask Kyungsoon to come with me. She’s been there before.”

    Kyungsoon shot me a confused look and mouthed “Who is it?”

    “It’s Ken.” She shook her head, indicating she didn’t know Ken.

    “Try Jaehwan.” Suggested Ken.

    “Oh!” I giggled, “Sorry, I mean Jaehwan. You know, Hongbin’s roommate?”

    “When did you meet him? And why is he inviting you over?” Kyungsoon asked curiously.

    For a moment I was at a loss for words. “Uh..." Looking around the room, my eyes landed on a stack of magazines. One advertising the top five first date locations was resting on the top of the pile.  “We’re dating.”

    Minki shifted in his seat. I could tell the conversation was making him uncomfortable. “So I guess I’ll be heading out. It sounds like you two have a double date.”

    Kyungsoon lifted both hands and shook them in front of her to protest. I reached out and grabbed the one closest to me and waved good bye with the other. “Thank you for understanding Minki. You’re the best.” I walked him to the door and shut and locked it behind him.

    I returned to the phone conversation. “Sorry Ken. We'll head over now.” We said our goodbyes, and I ended the call.

    

    I walked Kyungsoon down to her apartment. She asked me many questions about my relationship with Ken. I answered as truthfully as I could, feeling a bit guilty for telling her that we were dating, but he hadn’t tried to deny it, or stop me when I said it. I hoped it would be ok.

    “You’re just lucky we've been slow at work, or I may not have been able to go with you.” Kyungsoon stated as she unlocked the door. Inside Leo greeted her eagerly. “Hey little fella!” She bent down to scratch behind his ears.

    “Hey, why don’t we bring Leo with us?” I suggested knowing full well that he was Taekwoon, and would likely need to hear this information as well.

    “That’s not a bad idea,” She replied, “Hongbin has been dying to meet the little guy.” She bent over and picked up the cat. “How would you like to meet some new friends?”

I snorted and chuckled. Both the Leo and Kyungsoon shot me a confused look. “Sorry, why don’t we head out. I’ll drive.”

 

The drive took five minutes, and Leo seemed perfectly content to go wherever Kyungsoon was. He became more on edge once we entered the forest. His hair stood on end and he hissed at me.  All the while, Kyungsoon cooed at him while gently down his back.

I reached over and scrached behind his ears. “Calm down Leo. We're only going to visit Hongbin and Ken--I mean--Jaehwan. We only need Taekwoon there to make it a party.” I winked at the cat. He did calm down, but his ears stayed erect, telling me that he was still wary.

When we arrived, Hongbin answered the door. He seemed surprised. “I guess Ken didn’t tell you we were coming.”

Hongbin shook his head confused, “Who’s Ken?”

“Darn it, sorry.  Jaehwan.” I corrected. “You know, the one who looks like a Ken doll.”

Hongbin laughed loudly, and opened the door wider.  After Chohee entered, he spotted Leo in Kyungsoon’s arms. Leo wore the fiercest glare you could imagine on a cat. Hongbin laughed harder. Taking deep breaths to regain control he said, “This must be Leo. Nice to meet ya little guy.” He reached out to pet the cat.

Leo reach forward and latched onto Hongbin’s hand. Kyungsoon was appalled and very apologetic. Hongbin only lost it again.

Hearing Hongbin’s uncontrollable giggles, Hakyeon and Jaehwan made their way down stairs to greet the guests.

“Ken!” I exclaimed loudly. Ken held up a hand to give a small wave but I threw my arms around him in a tight embrace. Six pairs of eyes, including Leo’s, stared back at me shocked.

“Did you say you had just met him yesterday?” Kyungsoon asked confused.

I nodded, “Yes, but when it’s meant to be, you know. Right?” Kyungsoon continued to look at me confused. “Don’t you believe in love at first sight?” I asked

She shook her head. “No, I don’t.”

“Well now may be a good time to start.” I said with a wink.