Two Down, Four To Go

A Lack of Normalcy

Chohee’s POV

    There was snow on the ground. Enough snow to make a snowman, or have a snowball fight. I ran out into the front room still in my pajamas, “Ken!” I yelled, “There’s snow on the ground! Lets go out!”     

    Startled Jaehwan opened his eyes. Upon seeing me in my pajamas he smiled sleepily. “Are you going out in that?”

    I looked down and ran back into the bedroom to dress quickly. When i returned Jaehwan had already dressed. His blankets were thrown onto the couch without care. I grabbed my coat and left in a hurry, dragging Jaehwan behind me. I pulled on my coat in the elevator and pulled gloves out of my pocket. Once outside I saw that most of the snow had been turned brown by the people and cars that had trampled or driven over it.

    My disappointment must have shown on my face, because Jaehwan took my hand and began to pull me down the street. We arrived at a small park. Children were making snow angels and throwing snow balls.

    I grinned at Jaehwan and began making the base for a snowman. He walked over and started to make a body for the snowman. “So, can’t you make one of this by swirling your hands in the air. Like that one girl from the disney movie.” He stood and ed out his hand as he sang, “Let it go! Let it go!”

I stood and covered his mouth. “Yes,” I laughed at him. “I could, I mean, I couldn't bring it to life, but I could make one.” I removed my hands from his mouth and went back to our snow friend. “I just prefer to do things the old fashioned way.” I grinned at him, “At least in public.”

 

Minki’s POV

    “Are you sure there are supposed to be vampires here?” I asked.

    The voice on the other end let out an annoyed, feminine growl. “Yes, I am sure. Our source was very accurate.”

    “I haven’t found anything that would usually raise alarms. No groups of three that seem to be avoiding people, or daylight. But it is winter, so long sleeves aren’t really out of the ordinary.”

    I zoned out as she began to insult my intelligence. Hyunsoo and I had been friends since childhood. She sounded and always tried to act tough, but she felt that she needed to in order to have respect from other hunters. Something about it must have worked, because she quickly escalated through the ranks.

She was only a few towns over trying to locate a group of wendigos. She got cannibalism, and I got saddled with a trio of vampires that were on their best behavior. Hyunsoo, was very good at her job, and I knew that if I was not able to resolve this own my own soon, she would be called in to do it for me.

Not that Hyunsoo would want to take the job from me, but she did feel quite particular about protecting humans from anything that may possibly pose a threat. In her eyes everything supernatural had to be eradicated.

“Are you even listening to me?” She snapped, pulling me from my thoughts.

“Do you have any reports of shifters in this town?” I asked casually.

“Shifters?” She mumbled, and I heard the rustling of papers on the other end of the phone. “Uh, I have reports of bears about 40 to 50 years ago, but nothing recent.” She paused for a moment, “Why? Did you find something.” Her voice took on an excited tone.

“Probably nothing, but what do you know about the curse in this town?”

I heard more rustling. “Very little. I see that six bring bloodshed. There is mention of death. No time frame.” I heard a chair squeal as it was being pushed back, followed by footsteps and the slamming of a heavy book on her desk, “Honestly it sounds more like a prophecy. Which means that there should be a witch or seer in the town.” She exhaled, “It sounds like you’ve got the more exciting job this time. I have to go, but let me know what you find.” Hopefully she added, “or if you need help.”

“Will do.” I ended the call and exhaled. I played the conversation over again. Bears. Six bringing bloodshed, and death. I ran my hand over my face remembering all the bears in Hakyeon’s home. “It is his grandfather’s home, 40 to 50 years would fit.” I said to the empty room.

I pulled out a notebook and started to make a list of things I needed to do. On the first line I listed, confirm shifters. I very strongly believed that they were shifters after talking to Hyunsoo. It all fit too nicely. Taekwoon was very protective of Kyungsoon whenever I was around, and so was her cat Leo. Leo didn’t have any problems with Hongbin. I remembered the first conversation I had with Kyungsoon, and her mentioning a black leopard.

If Taekwoon is the leopard, it is possible that Kyungsoon could be in danger. I debated telling her, or asking her for help. I decided against it. If she knew, she wouldn’t be anywhere near him, and telling her could cause Taekwoon to leave or at least bring my presence to their attention. It would be best to observe for now.

    I decided to start by observing Ken. It seemed like he was around often, but I never saw him coming or going. “Ah! The hawk joke.” I said as it clicked. He must fly. That would explain him coming and going as he would like.

    After coming to this conclusion, I thought of an idea. I’d go to her house looking to borrow something, and try to find anything to confirm my theory. I took the stairs to the fourth floor, and knocked loudly on her door. After waiting a minute, I knocked again. I still did not receive an answer. Fearing the worst, I turned the handle and pounded on the door calling out her name, “Chohee?” My mouth fell open in surprise when the door opened. The apartment seemed empty.

    Carefully I looked in each room making sure there really wasn’t anyone present. I pumped my fist in the air. What luck. She isn’t home and the door was unlocked. I started in the kitchen. I went through all of the drawers careful not to disturb anything. Then I moved to the refrigerator. I wasn’t sure what I was expecting, bird food? live mice? road kill? I chuckled to myself and continued to work my way through the house.

    Just as I was about to give up, I stopped at the door to the balcony. Large talon prints caught my eye. “Bingo!” I said. After closer inspection, I also saw large foot prints, likely belonging to a man. These prints only led in from the balcony. I smirked and took a picture with my cell phone. “Two down, four to go.”

 
 
 
Hope you enjoyed the chapter! I know I loved writing it. :)