Hammock

A Lack of Normalcy

Hakyeon’s POV

    I was lounging in the hammock. I enjoyed it just as much when human, as I did when I was a bear. I was alone in my favorite place, the attic. My grandfather had this room built so we would have a place to shift and be safe from outside elements. At the time he meant the weather, but now, we would have to use it so we could shift without fearing hunters.

    This town had never had hunters before. This house had been a safe haven for shifters for the last 80 years. My great grandfather had it built when he first started his family. He expanded and brought the outdoors indoors, at least for half the attic. A little more than 25 years ago my grandparents left the town. They moved to a town where there was a greater shifter population. Being bears, we only lived with our immediate family. They wanted my father to settle down with another shifter. My mother was a sun bear and had grown up in a town surrounded by various other shifters.

    They settled down and I grew up in that town with the rest of the boys. Taekwoon and I were in the same class in school growing up. I was slightly older, so I made most of the decisions. I don't think he would have wanted to lead a group of unruly boys anyway. That may be why we got along so well. Hongbin lived in the house next door, and had followed me around since he could walk. Wonsik and Hongbin were also classmates. Sanghyuk was a year younger than them, and had followed the two around everywhere. Everyone knew Jaehwan. It was hard not to know him. He would talk to anyone, about anything. Being only a year older than Wonsik and Hongbin, his cheerful personality bridged the perfectly. By the time I turned 12, the group had been solidified, and we were inseparable.

The town consisted of mostly shifters. As long as we kept to ourselves and didn’t harm humans, the hunters would ignore the town. We had strength in numbers.

    Two years ago, when I was 20, we took a trip out to visit this lake. Our parents were weary, but we convinced them. We spent the whole summer here. It was amazing. we made a few trips into town, but knew we would be back. We did come back the next year, and any chance we got. It was on one of those trips that Hongbin met Kyungsoon. He set about trying to talk us into moving here. The six of us agreed almost instantly, but Sanghyuk's parents took some convincing. We moved here to stay only six months ago, but we have loved every minute.

    There had been no word of other Supernaturals or hunters until now. There had been a rumor of a curse on the forest, but I had not heard what the curse was, and assumed that it was most likely a story to scare children.

 

    The soft click of talons at the large tinted window pulled me from my thoughts. I unlatched the window and let Jaehwan in. He softly set his cell phone down on the window seat and shifted. "Hey hyung!" He greeted, grinning. He stepped forward as though he were going to give me a hug.

    I held out my hands making sure not to touch his chest."Maybe I should get you some clothes first." He chuckled and nodded. I quickly made my way downstairs to his room and retrieved a pair of grey sweat pants and a hunter green shirt.

    Jaehwan dressed quickly. "So do you want to share?" I asked.

    "Chohee is amazing. She talks circles around me. At first I was angry and just wanted her to stop, but now I could listen to her talk all day. She has such a melodic voice."

    While Jaehwan was talking, Sanghyuk had poked his head in. "Yuck!" He exclaimed. "Hyung, what's gotten into him?"

    I chuckled. I was happy that Jaehwan and Taekwoon had found their soulmates. There reactions were very different, yet understandable. Jaehwan was intoxicated.  100% addicted to his soulmate. Taekwoon was worried. He knew hunters were here, and would do anything to protect her. I wonder what I'll be like when I find my soulmate.

    While I was lost in thought, Jaehwan had regained his composure. "Hyung. She did tell me somethings I think everyone should know."

    I raised an eyebrow, confused. "OK, and how would she have this information? Is Chohee a shifter too?"

    He shook his head. "Nope, she's a sage." Jaehwan set about explaining what a sage was.

    "I didn't realize how little we knew about the supernatural community." I sighed.

    Jaehwan nodded again "There's more. She overheard a conversation that Minki had with another hunter."

    "Really? What was the conversation about?" Jaehwan looked shocked for a moment, then sheepish. "Let me guess, you didn't get a chance to ask."

    He nodded, "But now I have an excuse to call her." He grinned

    Sanghyuk looked at me with worried eyes, "Will he be ok?"

    I chuckled and reached up to ruffle his hair. "He'll be fine. He's just happy."


 

 

 

 

 

 


Any of you who don't know what a moon bear looks like, this is a Moon Bear or an Asian Black Bear.

   

I can't help but think of N when I see these pictures