Charades

A Lack of Normalcy

Kyungsoon’s POV

    The drive seemed much longer than normal. Hongbin had picked us up. He and I sat in the front silently why Chohee chattered away in the back with Minki. It seemed as though Minki was not suspicious of us, but I still felt uneasy. Hongbin was the only one he had met, and we were about to put him right in a group of people he was trying to hunt. He was going to have faces and names, not to mention knowing where they lived. Chohee had received a text message earlier from Jaehwan mentioning that the other girls arrived early to help comb the house for anything that might seem off.

    The SUV slowed to a halt and we got out and went inside. Hakyeon greeted us warmly, and Sanghyuk handed us a pen and ten slips of paper, “green are easy words, yellow for medium, and red for hard words.” He seemed really excited.

    Taekwoon smiled and lifted his hand, not quite waving at me from the corner. I made my way over to him, “Did you already write all of your words?” He nodded. “What should I write?” He shrugged but grabbed my hand to pull me over to the table in the dining room. I saw Minki sit on the floor and start writing at the coffee table, and I hear rather than seeing Chohee, on a couch.

    Once in the dining room I sat at the table and Taekwoon left me to my words. I thought hard for a moment before writing. Taekwoon returned with a glass of water and set it down in front of me. “Thank you.” I smiled at him, and he bent to place a kiss on the top of my head. I blushed and looked around to make sure that no one saw.

    “Taekwoon! Kyungsoon! Stop fooling around and get out here.”

    Taekwoon’s eyes took on a murderous glint at Wonsik’s words. I picked up the papers and glass of water and walked into the sitting room behind Taekwoon. I couldn’t help but laugh at the expression of terror that crossed Wonsik’s face as Taekwoon entered the room.

    The coffee table had three baskets for each color. I folded each paper in half and placed them in the correct basket. Minki was the last to finish writing and once he finished as well Hakyeon stood. “So now to divide the teams. Any suggestions.” He scanned us and stopped at Haewon who seemed to be sending him a look. “Uh, ok How about we do the girls and Hyuk against the guys.” Sanghyuk protested and Taekwoon glared as he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him.

    “Ok, so no to that idea.” He thought for a moment. “Taekwoon and Kyungsoon, Chohee and Jaehwan, Minki, and Hyuk can be one team. The rest of us can be the other team.” There was some grumbling, but no protests. “You have 10 minutes to get to know your team, and come up with a team name.”

    We separated and my team ended up in the dining room again. We all sat around the table. After introductions were made Chohee spoke up. “First we need a team name.”

    Sanghyuk’s hand shot into the air. “I vote Kamikaze Space Pirates.”

    I chuckled and Chohee laughed, “How about Flaming Hawks of Doom?” Jaehwan glared at her. I laughed harder and caught Taekwoon trying to hide a smile.

    Minki looked confused. “We can decide on our team name later.” I suggested, “how about signs?”

    “Oh, like a code signs.” Sanghyuk was excited again, “If I tug on my ear it means sounds like, and If I hold up three fingers it means three, or third word.”

    “What if you need so say the number three? “ Taekwoon asked. I watched as Sanghyuk’s bubble burst. He looked at his fingers, “Uh then shake your hand once with the correct number of fingers.”

    Hakyeon poked his head back in the room. “Hey, times up. Let’s get this game started.”

    We filed into the room, and pulled the two couches to the opposite corners of the rooms to make space. The coffee table was pushed against the wall and the baskets set on each. Hakyeon set down held a note pad, “Ok first, team names.” He looked at us expectantly. “What did you guys decide.”

    We all looked around clueless, “A team.” Taekwoon quietly stated.

    Hakyeon raised and eyebrow as he wrote the name at the top, “Ok then I guess we will be B team.” He set the pen and notebook down with the baskets and began to explain the rules, “So first no talking. Second if you are acting out the word and the other team guesses, your team will still get the point. Green words are one point, yellow are three, and red words are five. Time limit for each word is 30 seconds ”

    Team A went first. Chohee stepped forward and pulled out a Green word. She studied it for a moment before placing it on the coffee table face down. After walking to the middle of the room she turned to face us, and placed her fist under her chin like she was a child with an oversized lollipop. We started yelling out incorrect answers. Chohee puffed out her cheeks and blew. She looked around in wonder and held out a finger, the jumped pulling her finger back.     

    “Bubbles! Blowing bubbles!” I shouted excitedly. Chohee nodded and went to throw away the paper and mark our point. I turned to look at Taekwoon. His ears had started to turn red and he wouldn’t look at me. I remembered our bubble war from the previous week, and went silent feeling my face grow warm as well.

    If anyone else noticed our embarrassment they didn’t mention it. Miyoung went next. She pulled out the word high heels from the red basket. She looked thoroughly stumped. She looked over to Wonsik and held her hands up to shrug as she shook her head. After a moment she walked to the center of the room and the time started. She bent down to point at the heel of the shoe and the stood on her toes holding one hand high above her head to emphasize high. They started shouting out random, possible answers and it was easy to tell that Miyoung was getting frustrated at some of their answers. After another moment of Miyoung’s angry acting Hakyeon guessed correctly.

    After Miyoung proudly marked down 5 points. The game continued on until Minki was the last to go for our team. He pulled out a red word and began to think. In the middle of the room looked up and pointed, and then hunched his back as though he were in pain and went down to all fours before howling silently. We exhausted our time guessing werewolf related words.

    He stood and shrugged, “Sorry, it was curse. How do you act out curse?” He chuckled.

    Last for the Team B was Haewon. She stepped forward and pulled out a yellow word. She turned to address us, “Can I have another person help?” I looked at the others and shrugged nodding. I didn’t mind, it meant one less person to guess.

    Haewon pulled over Hakyeon to help. She showed him the word and he grinned and nodded. The walked to the center of the room and held hands. Their team looked at them confused as they began to dance. The pulled themselves together and the back alternating sides. Hakyeon picked up Haewon and tossed her behind his back. Grabbing her knees he pulled her around front and flipped her over.

    We all looked at them wide eyed, “Swing?” Soyoung said quietly. Once Haewon was had both feet back on the ground we all began to clap and Haewon blushed and hurried to sit down. Hakyeon bowed and waved throwing us kisses. Haewon stood again and hit him with a pillow she pulled from the couch. He laughed and went to tally the scores. “Team B wins by one point.”

    We all clapped politely. I was relieved that the game had ended without issue and was anxious to leave. I let out an exaggerated yawn and stretched. “Hey Hongbin, are you able to drive us back soon?” I looked at him and Chohee with pleading eyes.

    Hongbin nodded. Minki stood, “I’m ready to leave too. It was nice meeting you all, and I really enjoyed the game. We have to get together again sometime.” He turned to Hongbin, “Do you mind if I use your restroom before we go?”

    “No of course not. Its out that door and past the study.” Hongbin instructed pointing. Minki nodded and stepped out of the room.

    Hongbin had many sets of eyes glaring at him, and Haewon harshly whispered, “Great, let’s let the fox roam the hen house.” She threw her arms up and exasperation before falling back to the couch. Hongbin smiled sheepishly and apologized.

    I looked through the door where Minki had just left and sent out a silent prayer, Please let him come back without seeing anything that will cause red flags.

 

 

 

 

 

 

So sorry I didn't get this up yesterday.  I hope you enjoyed this chappter!