Not a Curse

A Lack of Normalcy

Haewon’s POV

    I fought my way out to the lake house to speak with Hakyeon, thankful for four-wheel drive. Once again, when I arrived he was in the dance studio. Rather than knocking this time, I found the hidden handle to the door. I quietly closed the door and leaned against it to watch. He was breathtaking.  His eyes were closed so he was still unaware that he was being watched.

The song ended and he opened his eyes. He picked up his water bottle, and turned down the music. “Couldn’t stay away, could ya?”

I rolled my eyes, “Sure, we will go with that.” I walked over to join him at the stereo. “Are you always in here?”

He shrugged, “Here, or occasionally in the hammock.” He took another drink, and wiped his mouth with the back of his hands. “I used to always hang around the other boys, but lately they haven’t really been home.”

“So why come here to dance? Especially when we kind of have an ongoing emergency.”    

“To think. If you turn off your brain, and just move to the music, it allows me to think.” He closed the lid to the water bottle. “The music blocks outside distraction. I can’t hear Hyuk’s video games, or Jaehwan’s laughter. It’s just me and the music.” He stepped forward and turned my shoulders to face the mirror. “Let me show you. Clothes your eyes.”

I did as instructed, but when he stepped away I opened them again. “Ah ah,” he met my eyes in the mirror and wiggled a finger. “Keep them closed.” He returned and I felt silk slide across my eyes. He tied it comfortably and pulled me by both hands.

Again he left me and I heard soft music start. I stood there, not moving. “Dance.” He instructed. “Don’t think or listen for my voice, just hear the music and dance. Forget I’m here.”

I started by gently swaying back and forth. As the song picked up I began moving more until I was dancing without a care. I moved as though possessed.

When the song ended, I heard silence. With my thumb I gently removed the silk scarf that he had tied over my eyes. “Hakyeon?” I saw him standing in the corner with his water bottle open. His mouth was slightly ajar and he was blinking rapidly. I saw him swallow, and then take a drink.

“Not bad,” He took another drink and tried to walk over to me casually. “Here.” He pushed the water bottle towards me.

I took the blindfold off completely and handed it to him as I took the water bottle.
“Thanks,” I took a drink. “But I still have no new insight on the issue.”

“Maybe I can help with that too.” He walked over to the mirrored wall and slid down until he was sitting. I went to join him. “That’s why I was here. Taekwoon called me last night after Kyungsoon went to sleep. Minki seemed very interested in the curse.” He turned to look at me as he spoke. His knees were bent and his arms dangled off of them. “I asked the other guys and none of them put in the word curse yesterday. I think it may have been Minki’s word. That he possibly was hoping for more insight into what it is and if it could be related to the supernatural.”    

I nodded and met his eyes as he spoke, “So the curse. Do we know anything about it?”

He lifted his hands slightly, “I was hoping you could tell me. We are still new to town and know very little.”

I winced, “I stayed away from humans if I could. I don’t know much about it either, except to avoid the forest in groups of six.” I laughed, “there is a clearing about a quarter of a mile into the woods behind my house. High school students used to get together in groups of six to spend the night there as a courage test.”

    I grew more excited as my story unfolded. I turned to face him and sat with my legs crossed. Hakyeon leaned toward me smiling, “we used to go out and scare them while they were sleeping. Nothing dangerous, just rustling the tent and spooky noises.”

     I stood. “Thanks! That really did help.” Hakyeon stood too. Excitedly I continued, “We just need more information on that curse now. I am sure that will lead us to what Minki is thinking.”

    I thanked Hakyeon again, and waved as I turned to leave. He reached out to grab my wrist and stop me. Puzzled I turned to look at him.

“One more thing before you go.” He tugged lightly on my wrist, but used enough force that I collided with his chest. He put his other hand on my upper arm. My mouth fell open in surprise.

    I blinked slowly, just before he hungrily pressed his lips into mine. I went stiff with surprise. Slowly I lifted my hands to his cheeks and slowly pulled him back. I looked up into his eyes and saw a range of emotions, anger, confusion, concern, mostly hunger.

    I tilted his head slightly and went up on my toes returning his kiss. My hand slid to the back of his neck and pulled him closer. His hand slid down my arms to my waist and pressed me into him.     

    We separated too quickly. Both breathless, “So, that curse.”

    Hakyeon nodded and continued to breath heavily. “I’ll send a message right away.”

    I smiled and left, hoping to calm the burning in my face before getting home.

 

Sanghyuk’s POV

    “Come on hyung, let me help too.” I whined. Everyone else was going to spend their Monday looking for information on this dumb curse, and I was being sent to school.

    “No, you have class. If I let you miss again you’ll have to repeat a year.” Hakyeon shot me a glare. “Is that what you want? Another year of school?”

    I groaned and sank down into my seat, “you never let me help.” I pouted.     

    Hakyeon sighed. “Walk over to the library after school and go through their local myths to see if you can find out anything.” He turned the wheel sharply to the right as we pulled into the school lot. “That’s where we will be most of the day.”

    “Fine.” I said shortly. I pulled the strap to my backpack over one shoulder and exited the vehicle slamming the door behind me. I waved over my shoulder as he left.

    I was early by about half an hour. The hallways were deserted. Angrily I threw my bag at my seat, and groaned as the contents spilled onto the floor.

    The girl who sat in front of me walked in behind me. Seeing my spilled bad she let out a tiny “oh!” before tucking a strand of her stick straight black hair behind her ear and rushing over to help.

    Her name was Minji. She had sat in front of my all year and we had not spoken a single word to each other all year. I had been warned away from her at the start of the school year. I didn’t understand why. She was very pretty, and seemed nice as well. Any time I saw her, she was always alone.

    I bent to help her as she picked up my belongings. Once everything was back in it’s place I held out my hand, “I’m Sanghyuk, but you can call me Hyuk. Most people do.”

    Timidly she held out her hand, “Minji.” She turned away and went to sit in her seat.

    I sank down into my seat mumbling, “first I can’t help find out about the curse, then my bag spills, and now I’m being dismissed.”

    Minji turned around to look at me. She looked uncertain. “Uh, I didn’t mean to dismiss you like that. It’s just better if you don’t talk to me.”

    “Right.” I nodded, “I was told. Why is that?”

    She looked down and picked at her fingernail. “Well, that curse. Um, most people think my grandmother cast it.”

    My eyes grew wide and I grinned. “And did she?” I prompted.

    “No!” She exclaimed quietly shaking her hands in front of her. “I mean, it’s not a curse.” I looked at her confused and motioned for her to continue. She looked around to making sure the room was still empty. “My grandmother says that she is a seer. Technically a witch. She has to use herbs to induce her ‘visions.’” She motioned with her hands sounding skeptical. She lifted her hand to , and spoke behind . “Most people think she is a druggy who likes to share her hallucinations.” I raised my eyebrows. “Sorry. Its nonsense.”

    She started to turn back to face forward in her seat. I reached out and lightly touched her shoulder, “No, I want to hear more.”    

    She gave me a look of suspicion. “Why? No one ever wants to hear more. They usually call us crazy. Or laugh at us.”

    I smirked, “Trust me. I can’t call you crazy, but I can tell you some stories that would make you think I am the crazy one.”

    She laughed softly. “Fine. If you want to know more, you should speak with my grandmother. Come over after school. She loves to talk.”

    “She isn’t like the witch in Hansel and Gretel is she? I’m not going to end up in her pot am I?”

    She giggled a little louder. “No silly, humans are too gamey.”

I laughed in surprise at her joking answer. “Right, I’ll meet you here after school.”

She smiled and held out her hand, this time she gave me a more firm handshake.  

Once her back was turned, I sent a quick text message to the group telling them I wouldn’t be coming to the library. I tried not to grin in success as the rest of the students began to trickle into the room.