Spell Completed

A Lack of Normalcy

Haewon’s POV

    We waited anxiously for any sign that the spell had been completed. I looked up from the intricate design drawn in human blood, and let my eyes scan the group.

    “Did it work?” Soyoung asked as Chohee turned over the piece of paper detailing what needed to be done.

    “Shouldn’t something happen?” Miyoung leaned out of Wonsik’s hold to read over Chohee’s shoulder.

    Five minutes went by as Chohee looked back and forth between the paper and the drawn symbol. Occasionally she would hum or mumble. We stood silent as we watched her work to complete the spell.

    There was a rustle of the leaves and the three shifters stepped forward with myself and the twins close behind them. There was another rustle and a grunt as a fully clothed Hongbin stumbled out of a bush. He grinned flashing his dimples. Soyoung pushed her way forward and threw her arms around Hongbin. I smiled softly, as he bent to place a kiss on her forehead.

    “Where is Taekwoon?” Kyungsoon asked timidly.

    Hongbin locked eyes with Kyungsoon, “We got separated when an arrow caught him.” Kyungsoon gasped and brought her hands to her lips as her eyes started to water. “He will be here. Trust him. You would know if something happened.” Hongbin continued.

    With worried eyes Hakyeon turned to leave the clearing. Silently, I followed after him. Overcome with worry he fell to the ground and placed his head in his hands. His breathing was ragged and quick.

    I placed my palm on his back and crouched down beside him drawing small circles on his back. “Trust Taekwoon. Hongbin was right. Taekwoon knows what he is doing.”

    “But what if something happens to him, what if he doesn’t make it back?” Hakyeon looked at me with misty eyes. “We are so close to being done with this. All we need is for Chohee to fix the spell, and for Taekwoon to return.”

    “And those things will happen, but you need to trust yourself and your family.” He nodded. I helped him stand, “Let’s get back, they may need us.”

    Hakyeon stopped and looked into the distance, before back to me with worried eyes. He grabbed my hand and pulled me back into the clearing. “They are less than a mile away. Chohee, what do you have?”

    “I Uh, I don’t know.” She replied leaning forward to inspect the drawing again. “Everything looks right.” From above Jaehwan screeched out a warning, as Taekwoon leaped forward in Leopard form. He spun around and came to a stop in front of Kyungsoon. His yellow eyes scanned the tree line and seconds later all of the Hunters walked through chuckling softly.

    “How nice of you to gather everyone together for us.” A female hunter chuckled softly.

    I stepped forward hoping to distract them, “What do you want from us? We haven’t hurt anyone.
    The hunter chuckled again. “You aren’t human. Your kind kills humans, it is our job to protect them.”

    I felt a protective grasp on my shoulder as Hakyeon stood behind me. “And hunters like you kill our kind, whether or not we have done anything wrong.”

    “You existing is wrong!” She snapped.

    “I’ve got it!” Chohee exclaimed as she reached forward. She slid a finger against the stone altar.

    As soon as her hand left the stone there was a gust of wind rippling out of the altar. With each wave I felt air leave my lungs. After the third wave, I sighed in relief letting the last of the air escape my lungs, as I fell against Hakyeon. I smiled up at him sleepily, and he smiled back at me. Slowly my eyes fell closed and the world went dark.

 

Kyungsoon’s POV

    After the third and final wave, I leaned forward and threw my arms around Taekwoon’s neck and buried my face in his fur. “It’s over. We did it.” I whispered into his ear. He turned and rubbed his head against my neck and I smiled happily.

    “It’s done. The city is protected, and you cannot harm us.” Chohee nearly shouted at the hunters, as Jaehwan swooped down to join us in the clearing.

    The female hunter was fuming, but the others looked confused. She smirked. “Fine. We can’t hunt you within the city limits, but as soon as you stop over that line, you are fair game”

    She and the other hunters turned and stormed off. At the last minute Minki stopped and returned to us. “I’m glad it worked. I was worried for a moment when Taekwoon got hit.”

    Remembering his injury, I searched his fur and did find that one of his shoulders was matted with blood. I slowly peeled back the fur to inspect the wound.

    “Haewon?” Hakyeon’s soft voice pulled me from my task. “Haewon?” He was shaking her softly. “Haewon, I need you to open your eyes for me.” His voice slowly becoming louder each time he called her name.

    Hakyeon looked up to glare at Minki, “I thought you said there was no catch!”

    “I-I, there isn’t!” Minki panicked, “The spell only harmed those who have ended a human life.” Minki’s eyes searched for an ally, “Did she kill a human?”

    “No!” Insisted Hakyeon. “She would never harm anyone.”

    “Oh, no. No, no, no.” Soyoung started to cry.

    Miyoung stepped forward, eyes downcast. “She didn’t kill a human, but she did end two human lives.” Minki’s eyes snapped to her’s. “When she saved us, she ended our lives as humans.”

    Minki looked back a Hakyeon and bowed low. “I am so sorry. I didn’t,” he sighed sadly, “I didn’t mean for this to happen. I only wanted to help.” He stepped forward, “Maybe there is,”

    “No, I think you’ve helped enough. Please go.” Hakyeon’s eyes glared at Minki, until he was no longer visible.

    His eyes softened as they fell back to Haewon’s limp body. He rocked her body gently speaking to her. I couldn’t help but look away. I felt as though I was invading their private time.

    I didn’t notice that Taekwoon had changed and dressed until I hear him speak. “Hakyeon.” There was no answer. Taekwoon walked over to his grieving friend. He gently placed a hand on his shoulder and the other on Haewon’s neck. “I can feel a pulse. It’s slow, and getting slower. There may still be a chance to save her.”

    Hakyeon looked up at his friend with pleading eyes, “how?” He croaked.

    Taekwoon shrugged, “Let’s get her home first, the we can look for a way to save her.”

    Taekwoon offered to take Haewon, but Hakyeon took her back once he was standing. “Let’s go.” He rasped. Somberly we followed after him making our way back to the waiting vehicles.

 
 
I am so sorry that this has taken so long to get you all the next chapter.
There is so much going on this month. :(
I hope you enjoyed the chapter, I'm so sorry for doing mean things to N :'( 
Please comment and Subscribe. I ♥ you all!