Morning

A Lack of Normalcy

Soyoung’s POV

    It was five in morning on Saturday. One by one, everyone had fallen asleep. First out were Jaehwan and Chohee. They were sitting side by side in the corner of one of the couches. Slowly Chohee began to talk more softly and slur her words. Eventually Jaehwan’s responses were only nods, and they rested their heads on each other and closed their eyes.

    Hongbin had put in a movie, and Taekwoon and Kyungsoon sat similarly to before. Taekwoon’s legs spread slightly and stretched out in front of him. Kyungsoon sat between his legs, her own stretched out straight.  She had her hands folded on her stomache and Taekwoon’s own hands were resting on top. Her head back, against his chest and his own head tilted back awkwardly against the couch.     

    Miyung had felt dizzy again on the stairs, so Wonsik rushed her right to his bedroom. He suggested that a bed and some sleep would help her. Sanghyuk had gone to his room, and occasionally we could hear an excited shout. Hongbin explained that he was playing some new video game.

Only Hongbin and I remained awake. The movie he had put in was a horror film. I did not do well with horror movies. Each time the ghost popped out I jumped, and ended up a little closer to Hongbin. About halfway through I had his shirt tight in my fist and was burying my face in his chest.

    Hongbin wrapped an arm around my shoulder and patted my hair, “Would you like me to turn it off?”

    I thought for a moment, before nodding. Hongbin rose and went to power off the TV and bluray player. He returned to sit beside me. We sat in silence for a moment, “Do you really shift uncontrollably when there is a full moon?” I asked timidly.

    Hongbin chuckled quietly, “No, we do shift more often when there is a full moon, but that is because we feel stronger when there is a full moon. It’s very rare that a shifter will lose control. It’s happened, but it’s been a very long time.” He smiled, “Do Vampires really burst into flames if they go into the sun?”

    I laughed, “Of course not! We would never leave our house if that were the case.” Hongbin chuckled again, “We are sensitive to sun, but we only get bad sunburns, or sun poisoning.” I pulled back the sleeve on one arm showing a patch of red skin with angry red bumps. “It usually only lasts a day or two,” I pulled the sleeve back into place wincing at the friction it caused. “What about soulmates? Do you really die if your soulmate dies?”

    Hongbin smiled sadly, “We do have soulmates, and we do have a unique connection to them. The connection grows the longer you are together. Mostly you can sense when the other is in extreme pain, or pleasure. Or at least that’s what I’ve been told.”

    My heart started to pound, “It seems like Miyoung and Wonsik have hit it off. Do you think they are Soulmates? Can you be Soulmate with a Vampire?”

    He shrugged, “I’ve never heard of it happening before now. Normally it's another shifter, but I can’t say that anyone in our group is normal. I’ll admit in the last nine hours that Wonsik has known Miyoung, he has shown sides of him I’ve rarely seen.”

    “So you haven’t met your Soulmate yet?” I asked with my heart in my throat.

    “I’ve met her.” He stated simply.

    My heart dropped into my stomach, “Oh, what is she like?” I asked unsure if I wanted to hear his answer.

    Hongbin took hold of both of my hands, and looked deep into my eyes, “I’m still trying to figure that part out. I’ve only just met her.”

    My eyes grew wide with shock and my breathing stopped. I pulled my hands back quickly, and he let them go.

    “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to catch you off guard.” His voice was tender. “I would like to get to know you better, but I can wait until you are ready.”

    The door to the attic clicked close, and Hakyeon padded down the stairs alone. He waved at us, and surveyed the lifeless group. “Party hard?” He asked. Hongbin shrugged

Haewon walked down the stairs. After scanning the group she looked up at me with slightly worried eyes, “Where is Miyoung?”

    I pointed to the door where Wonsik and Miyoung had disappeared. Haewon and Hakyeon walked over and opened the door. Cautiously they peeked in, fearing what they would find. The both pulled back, puzzled. I walked over and looked in.

    Wonsik was lying on his side with his back facing the door. He was snoring, and Miyoung appeared to be missing.

    Miyoung? I asked mentally. Are you in here?

    Yeah, I’m here, she replied annoyed.

    I’m sorry, did I wake you?

I heard a feminine snort and then Wonsik fell off the bed, likely shoved by my violent sister. “Wake me? Are you kidding? I couldn’t sleep though that.” She motioned wildly at a now wide awake Wonsik. She pulled herself off of the bed and nearly stumbled. Wonsik caught her hand and pulled her down into his lap disguising her near fall. She sent him a quick smile, then used his shoulders to help herself stand.

Haewon rolled her eyes, “Great, I guess your strength's back.” She pointed out the door with her thumb, “let's go.”

Returning to the sitting area, I saw Hakyeon kicking lightly at Taekwoon’s foot. His arms tightened around Kyungsoon and his eyes cracked open. Once he saw Hakyeon’s grinning face he looked away annoyed. “Sorry, Kyungsoon needs to leave.”

Kyungsoon nodded sleepily, stretching her arms high above her and yawning quietly. “I have to work at two tomorrow.”

Taekwoon stood and helped Kyungsoon prepare to leave. Hakyeon walked over to sleeping Jaehwan. He flashed a huge grin at the group, and pinched Jaehwans large nose between his thumb and forefinger. After 10 seconds, Jaehwan’s eyes and mouth popped open in unison.

Hakyeon relinquished his grip on Jaehwan’s nose, “Sorry, sleeping beauty, you are both important to our plans, so you will need to be well rested.”

Jaehwan furrowed his brows, “But we were sleeping just fine, right?” He looked over at Chohee.

Her curls were a pleasant mess. She rubbed at one of her eyes, slightly smearing her make-up. She nodded absent-mindedly and turned her head from side to side. She winced and rubbed at her neck with one hand. “No offense love, but the couch is probably not the best place to sleep.” He flashed her a sheep-eating grin. Chohee smiled back, and held up her hand, her palm facing Jaehwan, “I’m going home to sleep in my OWN bed.” She said with strong emphasis.