Followed

A Lack of Normalcy

Kyungsoon POV

    There was nothing extraordinary about Thursday. I started my normal walk to work, taking my normal route. About half way through my short trek my phone rang. Looking down I saw Hongbin, on the caller ID.

    “Hey!” I answered cheerfully.

    “Hey, Kyungsoon!” He replied, “How about we grab a cup of coffee?”

    “Sorry, I have to work.”

    “How about after?” He suggested.

    “Really Hongbin? I can’t drink coffee after 9pm. I’d never get to sleep.” I heard him sigh. “How about tomorrow before my anatomy class?” I suggested.

    He agreed and we ended the call.  I approached the front of the Pet shop where I worked part time while trying to earn my degree in veterinary medicine, and let myself in.

    Humming, I tied the sky blue apron around my waist and went to feed the puppies near the window. They yipped and bit playfully at my hands. “Aww come on guys.” I said playfully. I gave them my love for a few minutes and moved to the kittens.

    I tensed and looked around. It felt like someone was watching me. Across the street just outside the cafe stood a tall man. He held a cup of coffee in one hand, and the other was in the pocket of his black jacket. The winter wind blew at his black hair, and he locked eyes with me. He took a drink and turned to walk around the corner.

    He was on my mind as I resumed my daily tasks. How long had he been there? I wondered. Why was he watching me? or was he really watching me?

    “You’re becoming paranoid Kyungsoon,” I mumbled aloud to myself.

 

    The shop closed at 9pm. I double checked that the animals all had food, and walked outside, locking the door behind me. The cold winter wind tore at my coat, and whipped my wavy brown hair into my eyes and mouth. I pulled out my scarf and wrapped it around my neck to restrain my hair and further block the wind.

    The streets were nearly empty, all the shops had closed already. As I neared my apartment building I became more anxious. Looking over my shoulder I didn’t see anyone. The shadows became menacing. I started jogging lightly. My keys jingled with each step. I heard a trash can fall over in the alley behind me, and my breathing stopped.

    Curiosity got the best of me. I looked over my shoulder again, and saw the glowing eyes of a cat. I chuckled softly at my own foolishness. “Were you the one following me?” I knelt down and slow reached out my hand. The cat stepped out of the shadows. “Come here little guy,” I urged. The cat was sleek and pitch black . It seemed well fed and exceptionally healthy. “What are you doing out here all alone? You don’t look or act like a stray.” The cat sniffed at my hand before nudging it and the rubbing against hand seeking more attention.

    “I’m sorry little one, I must go home now.” I stood and continued my walk home. The cat walked a few paces behind me. When I got to my building it darted inside once the door was opened, and the followed me into the elevator. “Do you live in this building too?” I asked. The cat stared at me blankly. The elevator dinged, signaling that we had reached the third floor.

    At 3E I put my key in the lock, and listened to the click of the door unlocking. The cat was standing in the middle of the hallway watching me. I sighed, “Alright, come in,” and held the door open. The cat darted past me.

    I set my bag down on the kitchen counter of my small apartment, and took off my coat and scarf hanging them on the back of the barstool. Opening the refridgerator I pulled out a bottle of water and started to drink. A cranky mew reminded me of my visitor. “Sorry, where are my manners?” I set out a small bowl and filled it with water. Searching through my cabinets, I found a can of tuna and opened it into another bowl. The cat ate as though he was starving.

    While the cat was eating I changed into my pajamas and the TV. I settled into the couch to watch a movie. The cat curled up on my feet and began to sleep.

 

    The next morning when I awoke I was in my bed with the blankets pulled up to my chin. The TV had been turned off, and the cat was sleeping at the foot of the bed. That’s odd, I thought, I don’t remember going to bed.

    My phone began to ring. I answered quickly “Shoot! I am so sorry, I completely forgot about coffee!” I said to Hongbin.

    “That’s ok, I figured.” He chuckled softly. “If you hurry, I bought you a cup, we can chat before your anatomy class.”

    “You’re awesome! Have I told you that lately?” I smiled softly in relief. My new friend took that moment to nudge my face with his, sending my phone flying. The cat darted over to the phone and sat down.

    “What did you do that for?” I asked the cat exasperated. Remembering I was still late I threw back the blankets and began to dress. The cat fell back to sleep while sitting on my phone. It wasn’t until I reached beneath him that he opened his eyes again.

    I pulled on my coat and grabbed my book bag. I gave the cat one last pat on the head before opening the door. Once it was open the cat darted out before me. Once again we rode the elevator together. As I walked out the door I turned left toward school and the cat began right.

    I stopped to watch him leave. With the sun shining I was able to see him more closely. His coat was a dark brown, it was the rosettes that made him appear black. “Hm, like a leopard” I thought myself.

I was sad to see him go. “Bye Leo. I hope to see you again soon.” I said with a small wave. The cat looked over his shoulder and mewed in reply.