Gary

Effect

Watching Yunho practically float into the zoo, charming every person he passed, Gary let a small smile grace his face as he remembered his own clever, cheerful flower boy. Joongki had been jealous of Yunho the first time they met because the man was practically perfect and so friendly to Gary that Joongki was sure Yunho was trying to steal Gary away from him. Not that their relationship was public of course, but then, when was jealousy familiar with reason? It took Gary a long night and lots of nuzzling until Joongki really believed that Gary wasn’t interested in Yunho. The older man didn’t mention that perhaps he would have been if he hadn’t met Joongki first and if Yunho wasn’t obviously in a relationship with Changmin. Gary had a foolish character on Running Man but he was actually really clever and very little slipped by him.

Joongki had been in the army for a long time now and Gary would be able to hold his lover in his arms again soon.  With all the attention on celebrity soldiers the last few years, the couple decided not to risk visitation. Joongki had offered to let their relationship be open for the duration of his enlistment so Gary wouldn’t have to go without for twenty-one months but Gary had declined. It was sweet of Joongki to think of Gary, but the older man had more self-control than that. Joongki was the only one Gary wanted and the rapper wasn’t going to endanger their relationship just because he couldn’t keep it in his pants for a few months. Hyori had waited for him when he was enlisted, all those years ago, back when they were together. Gary loved Joongki more than he, in retrospect, loved Hyori so there was no chance he wasn’t going to wait.

Turning to his cameraman, Wonbae, Gary allowed a little smirk to curve his mouth. “Have you talked to your wife yet today?” he asked. Wonbae’s wife was eight months pregnant and Gary had no qualms about using that to get what he wanted: privacy.

Wonbae paled as he realized that he had forgotten to phone his wife before the filming started, as he had promised. “. No, Gary-hyung, I totally forgot. Do you mind if I?” He let his voice tilt at the end so the question was clear.

“No, go right ahead.” Gary grinned; he was getting so much better at manipulating people, not that he would ever do that in his personal life. Maybe Running Man was teaching him bad things….

“Are you sure it’d be okay?” Wonbae asked again. He didn’t want to get in trouble and lose his job right before his first child.

“Yes, Wonbae-ah, I’m sure the viewers won’t miss a couple minutes of me walking around.”

“Okay… It’ll only take a minute or two, so don’t go far.” Wonbae gently placed his camera on the cobblestone path and walked away to deal with a hormonal wife, that he loved dearly, but still damn hormonal.

Gary waited until Wonbae was out of sight, then he pulled his own cellphone out of his pocket. Normally, he would never do this during filming but he just needed to hear his baby’s voice.

“Hyung?” Joongki’s voice sounded confused but Gary still smiled to hear it. “What’s up? Did something happen during filming?” That was just like his Joongki, over-thinking things and worrying over nothing. Gary had no problems with Joongki being more intelligent than he was; in fact, it made him proud that the younger man could shame an entire room of Ivy League scholars.

“No,” Gary replied, “I just wanted to hear your voice.”

“Oh.” Without even seeing his face, Gary knew Joongki was blushing a flaming red right now. Gary often said sweet things to his lover but that never stopped Joongki from being a titillating mixture of embarrassed and flattered every time. Still, Gary rarely called during the day unless it was an emergency. And yes, being extremely did count as an emergency. “Are you sure you’re okay?” Joongki’s tone was softer now, his love for the rapper riding the electronical waves of his voice.

“Yeah. Just filming as usual. I’m at the zoo right now.” Gary knew Joongki loved animals, even when the younger man didn’t want to show it. The actor hated being called a flower boy, since he was worth so much more than that title, and he thought that animals reinforced that image.

“Yeah? What are the teams today?” Joongki asked, honestly curious. Joongki adored Running Man and hated when he had to leave the show. After his last filming, Gary and Joongki had gotten super drunk and re-watched all of Joongki’s favorites episodes. There was some crying on Joongki’s part but Gary wasn’t going to tell anyone. That genuine vulnerability was for Gary’s eyes only.

“It’s a solo game today, every man for himself,” Gary replied.

“So you’ll win again, is what I’m hearing,” Joongki responded without hesitation.

Gary grinned like a love-struck fool at Joongki’s utter confidence in him. In all honesty, Gary usually could win when he actually wanted to but hearing Joongki say it out loud made Gary’s heart sing like a fat lady at the opera. “You know it, baby.”

Joongki chuckled, a sound that never failed to stir something in Gary’s pants. “I’d better hear about your victory then. Listen, hyung, I’ve got to go. They’re going to notice I’m gone soon.”

“Okay. Work hard!” Gary knew his lover always put 100% into everything but he said it anyway.

“Will do! Call me tonight? You can tell me all about how you kicked and what kind of prize you won?”

“10:00, just like usual. And I already have the best prize in the world.” Gary could imagine Joongki rolling his eyes but if words were the only thing they could share, then Gary was going to use them in any and every way possible.

“Whatever. I think you’re getting cheesier with your advanced age.”

“Or maybe you just bring out the best in me.” Gary’s cheeks were starting to hurt from smiling so long but he couldn’t get himself to stop.

“Right. I gotta go, hyung. Love you!”

“I love you too, baby.” Gary heard the phone click after his statement but he wasn’t sad since he would talk to Joongki once again tonight. As he slipped his cell back into his pocket, Gary felt more energized that he had after three cups of coffee and was ready to win the day for Joongki. Maybe he would even get a little treat later for all his effort….

 

Authors Note

Yeah, I know, I know, I already broke my own rule. (if you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the foreword) But I just love Gary so much and this is his only appearance in this story! And yes, I do ship him with Joongki, Yunho, and Hyori. Mostly Joongki but there was a little chemistry with Yunho and Hyori too so I will build my own ship and sail it as I please. *runs off to La La Land where everyone wants to get with Gary*

As for the gif, that whole scene was freaking hilarious and made me ship Gary and Joongki but I couldn't find anyone that had the whole thing together as one.

Anywhoo, what'd y'all think of the third chapter? I know it's difficult to comment when the chapters are so darn short but this is the format that fit the story and I refuse to change it just to satisfy my greed for comments lol. Love me and the story anyway or hate it? Have a lovely day everyone!