T.O.P.

Effect

Seunghyun watched the door close in front of him, signaling his lover’s departure. Yes, he could survive on his own but it hurt his pride that Youngbae had left him for Jiyoung. To go find the leader and save the reputation of Big Bang but still, jealousy wasn’t exactly logical. Seunghyun was not an extremely possessive person but Jiyoung had always been a sore spot for him. Moving back to the couch in the center of the room, Seunghyun let himself contemplate the ’s past.

Seunghyun and Jiyoung had been best friends since they were babies so when Jiyoung joined YG and began spending all of his time there, training, Seunghyun naturally started feeling left out. So he auditioned for the label, to try and follow his friend. When he was told that his weight would be an issue as an idol, Seunghyun worked out endlessly for six months until he felt confident enough to try out again. That time, he made it into the company and Seunghyun had thought he would be able to be around Jiyoung more again. That’s when Seunghyun realized that it wasn’t just the label taking up all of Jiyoung’s attention; it was this twerp Youngbae. Jiyoung had replaced him and now had a new best friend. Seunghyun hated Youngbae a couple months until hanging around Jiyoung enough forced them to get to know each other. Seunghyun quickly discovered that Youngbae was incredibly sweet and kind and he himself fell under the same spell as Jiyoung. But he was never as close to Youngbae as Jiyoung was. In fact, Youngbae’s first time was with Jiyoung (which was an endless insult to Seunghyun’s jealousy). The two weren’t in a romantic relationship; they were just experimenting on each other in an age where bodies were gangly and awkward.

Soon after Big Bang’s debut, however, Jiyoung started getting into drugs, the hard core ones, not just . Seunghyun and Youngbae spent endless nights dragging Jiyoung back to their dorm and thousands of hours trying to convince him to quit. Seunghyun would never thank the man for his addiction, but it was all those years and the stress from the situation that pushed Youngbae and Seunghyun together. They grew to depend on each other, to know when the other was exhausted or ready to throw in the towel. But one night, the pressure got to Youngbae and he collapsed into Seunghyun’s arms, no longer able to deal with wondering if his best friend was going to die from an overdose every night. Seunghyun had Youngbae’s back as he trembled and promised right then and there that he would be whatever necessary to protect Youngbae from this hurt again.

The next day, the pair got Jiyoung into a rehabilitation program and spent the following months exploring their relationship. When Jiyoung was released after four months, he mostly abandoned his habit after discovering how close he came to flat-lining during the withdrawal. He gave the pair his full support but Seunghyun was too disillusioned about his friend for them to ever be as close as before. Now, Jiyoung only smoked a joint right before a performance, although he still slept around and partied until regular people were going to work. Youngbae, however, never lost his sense of responsibility for Jiyoung, or the rest of the Big Bang members for that matter, and continued to watch over them. It was complicated, Seunghyun knew, but it got him Youngbae so he didn’t care.

But it still hurt when Youngbae turned away from him to Jiyoung. It was too reminiscent of Jiyoung and YG but now there was more on the line. Seunghyun wasn’t dumb; he could easily imagine a reality where Jiyoung and Youngbae were together instead of him and Youngbae. And that scared him more than anything.

 

Author's Note

No, I'm not saying Jiyoung is into hard-core drugs but I honestly think this scenario is entirely possible. And yes, I had to throw that little nod to GDYB because those two are so incredibly close, it would shock me if at least one of this wasn't in love with the other.