Y - The Orphanage

Coup D'etat

“Ahjumma, ya? Who are they?” asked a little girl—around five—or four years old. Her hair was braided into two parts and there were some ribbons on it—making it looks much more cuter. “I ever saw this oppa on tv.”

“Yes, Nara-ah. This oppa is Kim Junmyeon—bow for him?” replied an ahjumma—a matron of the orphanage I’m visiting. “Nice to meet you, Miss Han.”

“Mrs Lu,” I corrected. “Lu Yeonhyo, ahjumma. I’m married,” I said and smiled. “Junmyeon, smile,” I stepped on his right feet—glanced at him and noticed his face—disgusted. “Why?”

“This orphanage is filthy, and so messy,” he whispered. “I can’t imagine living here as a child, living and sleeping together inside a little dirty room. And plus—this place is stink,” he said in whisper—I wish I could slap him. He’s so arrogant.

“Can we see the children?” I asked. Despite I hate kids and things related to them—I still can control myself instead of mumbling and grouching. “I bought some toys for them and oh—here, me and Junmyeon-ssi bought something for this orphanage, I hope that these things can make you happy.”

“Thank you so much, Yeonhyo-ssi. I appreciated your attitude and sweet personality,” the ahjumma smiled. “Nara, my little girl, can you show this unnie the way to our playing room?”

The little girl smiled and jumped—she pulled my hand like normal kid would do—and she stopped in a room after pulling me everywhere like a hyper.

It was a little dirty room. Painted with bright pink—but the paint was too old, I think—and it has alphabetic and numberic posters which was torned everywhere. There were toys around the room—old toys that you can buy with 800 won to 1000 won and you can find them in Dongdaemun Second Stuffs Section. All I can see here is pathetic room with happy kids inside.

“I’m sorry if this room isn’t comfy,” said the ahjumma. “We’re running out of money and I can’t even pay the credits from the bank. We need new rooms and some renovations,” she said—and she’s staring around the room. “Poor this kids. If we can’t pay the credits, they will kick us out from this little pathetic house and they will be like you know—abandoned kids.”

“Junmyeon-ah—at least you can learn something from things like this,” I whispered. “You can’t keep being that arrogant all the time, Junmyeon.”

Junmyeon froze.

“I will help, if you need me just call my number, ahjumma. I’ll be happy to help you—my job is helping people—no matter who are they,” I said with a smile. Eventhough I hate kids and babies—at least I could help. “Can you help me with these toys, ahjumma?” I gave the ahjumma a plastic bag filled with new toys.

“Toys!” the kids said—they jumped around. How sweet.

“Yeonhyo unnie,” a girl named Nara—pulled my hoodie and smiled. “Gomawo.”

“Yes,” I replied.

The kids are standing in a line—waiting for they new toys and started playing. I can see Junmyeon started enjoying this stuff too—and I can adaptate myself with this situation—I’ll start liking children because I’m going to give a birth to a baby.

“Why, sweetheart, why don’t you join Junmyeon and the other kids?” I asked when I saw Nara sitting alone in the corner. “You don’t get the toys?”

“I got it, unnie,” said Nara. “I wonder if umma still here I wouldn’t sit here alone!”

“Where is umma?” I asked. “I have no umma too.”

“Really?” she asked. “My umma died few years ago, unnie. She died because of an aircrash and so do my appa then the polices sent me here, it was horrible...”

“My umma died when I’m still young, like you,” I replied. “She was killed, right in front of me. By someone I don’t know. We were kidnapped, and then they killed my umma. I screamed and cried, but she won’t alive again. She’s there, resting peacefully in heaven, with your umma and appa also.”

“Where is unnie’s appa?”

“He’s working, somewhere out there,” I replied. “He’s busy and I can’t meet him everyday—he travel the world for business, sweetheart,” I said with a smile.

“Is it fun, being a rich person? I can’t even eat until I feel full,” she said. “Ahjumma said that we are poor and we don’t have enough money to buy enough food for all of us.”

“Well—” I bit my lips. “Rich or poor, everyone is the same, you make mistakes, so do rich people,” I replied and then smiled. “You can visit my condo someday—if my husband is not there, you can visit me.”

“Husband?”

“Yes, honey. He is arrogant and cold, you won’t like him, I swear,” I replied. “I don’t like him too.”

“If you don’t like him, why did you marry him?” asked Nara with her innocent eyes.

“Ah—it was complicated, honey. Our parents asked us too—at least, if we’re not hating each other. He’s working as a businessman—and he’s busy all the time, so do I. Being a police, a detective and a bodyguard isn’t as easy as people think,” I said.

“I thought Yeonhyo unnie is Junmyeon oppa’s girlfriend,” she pouted. “You two looks match!”

What.

“No,” I replied with a little laugh. “Junmyeon is younger than me!” I said—and then pinched her chin. “Ahjumma, can you show me the bathroom? I—”

“Yes, dear, why? Come on, this way,” ahjumma stood up and leads me to the bathroom—a little pathetic room; dirty and small. “I’m sorry, if this is dirty. I’m going to leave, just call my name if you need me, Yeonhyo-ah.”

I closed the bathroom door then starts vomitting inside the toilet—over and over. My breakfasts are all out—damn pregnancy. I took the little bucket and filled it with water—then cleaned up the vomits inside the toilet. I wonder what Junmyeon will say about this little bathroom. My hand reached a mouth-cleaner inside my bag then cleaned my mouth with it. At least no bad-smell.

“Are you sick?” asked ahjumma—she’s waiting near the bathroom door. “You vomitted, right? Are you okay, dear?”

I’ve never met someone like this ahjumma. Is this mother’s love?

“It’s okay, ahjumma. I’m—” I coughed and took a tissue from my bag. “Pregnant. Just revealed it this morning, yah. It’s normal.”

“Congratulations! Your husband must be so happy!” she congratulated me and then smiled.

Damn—Luhan didn’t even congratulate me—he said ‘you shouldn’t pregnant in this kind of situation’.

“He is,” I faked a smile. “Where’s Nara? I would like to say goodbye to her—it’s 3PM already—I need to take Junmyeon back to his home and I got some meetings in my office, ahjumma. It’s nice to know this orphanage—I’ll try my best to help you,” I smiled—then took a cheque inside my bag and write 100,000,000W on it. “This—I think you can pay those kids’ needs and you can pay this house, do some renovations, anything.”

“You don’t need to...”

“This is my money, ahjumma. I can do anything with it, and I decided to help,” I smiled. “Junmyeon-ah—let’s go!”

“Yah, noona. You’re not cool. I’m enjoying this,” Junmyeon said—geez. He said that he hates poor people.

“Unnie ya—why now?” Nara hugged me and pouted.

“I gave ahjumma my address, come to visit me, someday,” I said with a smile. “Come on, Junmyeon!”

We went out from the orphanage—the kids are running to the verandah; they are all kind and sweet. They wave their hands to us and screamed ‘I will miss you’ over and over—while I’m turning the car engine on and then smiled to them.

And drive back home.