Y - An Early Birthday Present

Coup D'etat

It was a gloomy Monday; Kangshik called me at 5 and told me if there was a box sent in Gangnam and it contains of chopped body from someone (it was quite yucky since he said that the body’s intestines was already rotted and its head was beheaded from the body)—and he asked me to come within one hour.

I took a bath as soon as he ended the call—asked the maids to prepare my coffee and picked my outfits that would fit my day as a detective and also—an executive police. I picked my M1911 pistol (my first and most loved pistol)—took my coffee and drove through the streets. I drove that fast—the streets are still quiet because it’s only 5.30AM.

I stopped my car in front of a house; seems like it was someone’s house (someone—I mean someone important). Kangshik stood there with his kit and tools with Minyoung who helped him with the chopped body. Kangshik seems untired—so do Minyoung. What the did they drunk today—I mean—the looked like so healthy.

“Good morning,” I greeted. “Where’s the body? I mean—the box,” I said—glanced at Kangshik. He seems uncomfortable with the box; and gave me the box. “Thanks.”

I opened the box. And guess what’s inside. An early Christmas present? A birthday present? Well—looked a lot like a birthday present since I saw something inside the box—there’s some letters inside which I think was ‘saengil chukkae hamnida’. And a paper—‘tapuoc ted ruyo tendsiper’—which was a strange languange to understand.

Let me tell you what’s inside. A head and two wide opened eyes; a hand, a toe and—intestines everywhere—it’s jejunum and ileum and the duodenum was chopped everywhere. —this is an early birthday present for Minyoung (her birthday is in June 21th and now is June 10th).

“I’ll find out what’s the meaning of the words written in this paper. You—interview the owner of this house and Minyoung—help me with the body. Do the autopsies and anything you want to do with the body but don’t burn the body,” I said.

“I’m going to burn it if you allowed me to do everything I want to do with this body,” replied Minyoung. “—retarded murderer. Kill someone with a gun, don’t chop them like this. I think you should give the paper to Officer Lee—he’ll keep this paper safe inside the evidence bag. And I’m hungry. McDonalds?”

“Great idea. Wanna go for a breakfast too?” I asked Kangshik. “Oh, I see, you won’t. Oh—and I put the paper back inside the box so you can give it to Officer Lee. I’m off with Minyoung, okay? See you later!” I went inside the car and so do Minyoung.

“Okay, I don’t have any idea about the body, really,” said Minyoung when I strated driving through the street. “The perks of being a forensic doctor. Well—that thing annoyed me so much, Yeonhyo-ya.”

“I enjoyed my job because it was like—really great. I loved guns and also—action films,” I replied. “I watched CSI NY and realised if being someone like me is way too cool. And you know—like—my job was the most wanted job ever, by the teenagers. I’m that cool, geez.”

“Ewh—stop praising yourself,” said Minyoung.

“Okay, I’ll stop,” I replied.

My phone vibrates—it was an incoming call from my Dad—it was such a strange thing because he’s still in Finland today (and he said he’ll come back tomorrow). But his phone number was his Korean phone number (well it means he arrived today—but why so early).

“Hello,” I said—in my usual voice. “Well—I’m driving right now, can you just send me a message then I’ll reply when I’m arriving in McDonalds?”

He ended the call—geez. His usual habit.

I parked my car in the McDonalds’ parking lot—glanced at Minyoung and we leave the car (of course after locking the doors) and entered the McDonalds.

Hamburgers, fast foods, and cokes—paradise on Earth.

Me and Minyoung bought two jumbo cokes and two jumbo fries (we’re big fans of fast foods); two big bulgogi McBurger (my favorite since I arrived in Korea). We picked two seats in the corner and started talking each other and of course—we’re eating.

“Well—this is a paradise on Earth,” said Minyoung—she chewed her burger and stared at me. “You know, this is a paradise after facing a dead chopped body,” she smirked and drunk her cola.

“What—don’t tell your stories about the chopped body or I’ll saliva vomit in your face,” I replied and ate my fries. “Like—it was so disgusting. Seems like you liked the body—then marry it. Wait—it was a call from my dad, wat a freaking minute.”

“Hello?” I answered the call. “Dad—what’s going on?”

“Home at 7PM.” He ended the call.

“Geez, he ended the call? —being home at 7PM—what kind of is going on?” I said—mumbling around after my dad ended the call as soon as he told me to come home at 7PM. “It was a freedom-stealing!”

--

“I found three unidentified fingerprints,” I said—I brought the Lab’s iPad with me. “Look—it was unidentified, I mean, we have no one to interrogate and we have no one to accuse.”

“Well actually we have,” replied Kangshik. “The owner of the house—Goo Sangjin—twenty eight years old. He said he haven’t do the military service and he said he registered for it and he’ll start next year, but we found no one named Goo Sangjin in the system and well—he’s the son of the Minister of Health—Goo Sangnim.”

“What kind of 28 years old man who haven’t start their military services?” asked Minyoung. “The birthday present’s cause of death—I found two bullets inside of his jejunum and one bullet inside of his heart, three in his chopped duodenum and one in his right eye. His name was Yoo Jinyun and he was 29 years old; worked as the President’s strongest bodyguard.”

“And I found the meaning of the sentence ‘tapuoc ted ruyo tendsiper’. It was ‘Coup d’etat your president’. I bet—someone who did this thing was someone who wanted to kick the President from his position,” I said—with a curious voice. “—what happened with the system? The iPads and the monitors and the laptops here are all suddenly blanked. Look.”

“Blank,” said Kangshik. “What happened?”

01100100 01100101 01100001 01110100 01101000 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110101 01110011 01100101 01110011 00100000 01101111 01100110 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01110110 01101001 01100011 01110100 01101001 01101101 01110011 00111010 00100000 01110000 01101111 01101001 01110011 01101111 01101110 01100101 01100100 00101110

, what kind of joke. This is a binary code we can translate them through the system but since the system was attacked by a joker—we can’t do this and we have to translate this manually.

“I’ll help you translate this stuff, but it will take much time. I need time—one month?” asked a staff—named Sungmi. She was the only one who undestand the binaries (we understand it because the system helped us). “I’ll try, I promise. Detective Yeonhyo, can I take the iPad and start translating?”

“Of course,” I gave her the iPad. “Make sure you’re doing great. Good luck. It’s 6.30 already, I’ll go home. Bye.”

I entered my car and plugged the key in—then drive back home.


I will make different POVs in every chapters.

Hope you like this story, lol.