CHAPTER VIII – First Kiss…Scene?

Decision - A Turning Point

 

YC entered the MBC waiting room, his eyes automatically searching for EH. She was seated in her usual place but, instead of being absorbed in reading her script, he saw her staring blankly at it. He smiled secretly to himself. He knew exactly how she felt. He knew they were both caught unawares by the seemingly sudden writing-in of a Kiss Scene. They would have to wait for the PD-nim to discuss the scene so that they can understand how the writer-nim wants the story of the drama to evolve.

Approaching EH, YC waved his hand in front of her bent head to get her attention. EH gave him a warm but weak smile and pointed to the snacks and pastries she brought for the day. YC’s staff, now knowing their morning ritual when meeting at the MBC building, had their individual mugs of hot chocolate ready on the table in front of them. For a change, instead of YC and EH joking around and talking non-stop; YC and EH sat in silence; they savored the silence that claimed them, on that early morning, not of awkwardness, disinterest, boredom or disregard but of companionship born by a closeness that made conversation unnecessary. In that moment they both acknowledged that somehow, at a time they were not aware of, he had become at ease with her and she was equally at ease with him; at ease with the peace and quiet of their surroundings; the warmth of their growing feelings for each other. Despite the fact that their unusual silence surprised their staff as well as the production staff and co-actors, who started to trickle in, they all felt the warmth of the silence and smiled approvingly at the silent pair.

As soon as the PD-nim arrived with the writer-nim in tow, the writer-nim immediately gave an overview of how the drama would more or less proceed for the coming few episodes. As soon as the writer-nim left, the PD-nim discussed the scenes to be filmed. The PD-nim started the discussion immediately by saying: “Okay, I know that the First Kissing Scene of HJW and LSY, as adults, is already included in the script you have with you but we might not have to film that today because the scene is for episode 13. As soon as we wrap episode 12 we can relax a little since only episode 13 will be aired next week, per the memo we received from the network, due to the presidential election coverage.” “SY are you feeling better? Have you recovered from your cold?” Seeing EH’s shy nod, the PD-nim smiled and continued: “Ok then, let’s see how filming goes and decide if we can film the Kiss Scene later; we’ll discuss the scene in detail then. Let’s discuss the other scenes first.” All the while YC and EH stared at each other, initially with a confused and dazed look in their faces that changed into a warm and encouraging smile as they started to share their thoughts with the PD-nim.

Filming a drama was a tedious process; a 10-minute scene on TV can take from 2 to 4 hours to film, depending on how many camera angles of the scene needs to be taken and NG’s. YC and EH were now filming together the indoor scenes towards the ending of episode 12 and observed that, if the PD-nim wanted to, they could continue to film the Kiss Scene since it was still quite early. They were ambivalent about the possibility; on one hand, filming the Kiss Scene that day would lessen the anxiety and stress picturing how the Kiss Scene would be executed on the other hand they could not deny that they were looking forward to filming the scene, they were excited of the possibilities of the scene because of the way it was written. Although no specific instructions were written on the script; the kiss was described as an emotion-filled kiss; tender but showing controlled passion and longing, especially on JW’s part. SY’s emotions were supposed to show a mixture of curiosity and empathy as well as the acceptance of her true feelings for JW.

The PD-nim called them to the sofa on the set for a discussion. “JW-yah, SY-yah we have more than enough time to film the Kiss Scene, are you ok with that or would you rather film it on another day?” The PD-nim asked, looking intently at his two lead stars. YC stole a glance at EH, who had her head slightly bent and was biting her bottom lip, he held a fraught breath, waiting for EH to answer the PD-nim’s question first. Although he would prefer that they shoot the Kiss Scene today, for his own peace of mind; he acknowledged that the anticipation would slowly drive him crazy, if they postponed the filming when they already had the opportunity to film it; he would support EH’s decision whatever it may be. YC released the breath he held when he saw that EH lifted her head, smiled first at him then at the PD-nim and said: “I’m willing to film the Kiss Scene today PD-nim...” She then looked directly into YC’s eyes as she teasingly continued: “…of course, if JW is ready to take the lead.” YC burst out laughing at EH’s answer and returned EH’s teasing look with a smile and a naughty wink. YC thought to himself: “Ok, miss ‘no NG when filming a Kiss scene’, I’ll make sure that I don’t make a liar out of you on your next interview.”

The PD-nim with his other essential crew; like the camera director, lighting director, etc.; had a long discussion with YC and EH regarding the Kiss Scene and the various angles they would need to film the scene with the results they all wanted to produce. After giving YC and EH a detailed picture of his idea for the scene and how it would progress and made perfectly sure that they understood him, he left them alone to discuss how they plan to execute the scene. The PD-nim had full trust and faith in his JW and SY because, so far, all he had to do was give them basic instructions and his talented main leads has executed and produced perfect scenes with very little NGs. He also wanted the scene to come out looking as natural as possible and he felt that too much instructions, from him, might just pressure JW and SY and make them feel awkward.

Left alone in the sofa, YC slides closer to EH and quietly asks her, aegyo style, with an eyebrow arched questioningly and a teasing smile on his face: “SY-ah, how are we going to act out the Kiss Scene? I’ve heard that you always tell your partner that you prefer the kiss scene to be ‘real’ rather than to fake it; that it should look realistic and you would just follow their lead. Does this also apply with me?” EH gave him a soft punch on his arm and answered: “JW-yah, you know me sooo well…give it your best shot…I guarantee…you won’t be disappointed”; then gave him a naughty wink. YC suddenly became so hot and bothered he started fanning himself with his hand as he thought: “OMG! I think I’m in trouble! I need to put a really tight rein on my emotions or the scene might just get too real” He took a good look at EH and realized that although EH was acting all calm and cool on the outside, he now knew her well enough to notice that, for all the bravado she was showing, EH was actually nervous and a bit anxious. He did not know if she normally acted this way before a kiss scene and made a note to himself that he would ask EH’s assistant about it later. To distract both of them from thinking too much of the actual Kissing, YC said aloud: “SY-nie why don’t we go over the dialogue, share ideas and practice our execution of the dialogue so it would be easier to memorize and we would have it down pat so by the time we actually film we won’t be distracted by it?” EH, feeling relieved gave YC a bright and grateful smile and answered aegyo style: “Whatever you say uri JW-yah.” The staff and crew near them who saw their cute interaction smiled indulgently and fondly at the couple on the sofa and thought to themselves: “Romance is really in the air with these two.”

YC and EH were filming the scene leading to the actual Kiss but, as it was, both of them became aware of the fact that they were indeed both getting tense from filming with their bodies and faces so close to each other. They had about 5 set-ups for this scene alone. The PD and the crew were preparing the set-up for the filming of the actual Kiss. YC and EH were given a break

EH was sitting on the sofa, worrying her lower lip. She was wondering where all the tension mixed with excitement and anticipation was coming from.  This was a first for EH because most of her first Kiss scenes with her male partner usually involved just a hug and kiss or a grab and kiss, not an emotional and honest face-to-face confession of feelings so, previously, there was no time for any kind of tension to build up. She was relieved to find an easy explanation for the tension but the excitement and anticipation could not be explained off so easily. She glanced at YC at the other end of the sofa, also deep in thought, and suddenly felt a calmness claim her. She thought: “Yay EH! This is YC, who you are not only close to but whom you respect and trust, you are doing the kiss scene with. You have always been in sync in your acting, you need to relax. Besides, this is more YC’s scene than yours so all you need to do is follow his lead.”

YC was taking deep cleansing breaths to release the tension he was feeling. He did not want to put distance between him and EH but he needed the space to gather his equilibrium. He never felt this way before filming a Kiss scene. He was always relaxed; right now he felt like a ship without a rudder. But…more that the tension, his senses seemed to be screaming for him to claim EH; it was all set to reach out and mark her as his woman.” He sat up straight on the sofa, peeked at EH, and acknowledged the revelation he was forced to admit to himself. What he might do with the knowledge was another matter altogether.

After receiving final instructions from the PD-nim, YC and EH were again filming the scene leading to the kiss and would continue on to film the First Kiss of the adult HJW and LSY. Filming was going smoothly, JW and SY’s emotions were truly caught on camera and the PD-nim and crew were more than satisfied with the scene. Actually, for a group of experienced and jaded film crew members, it was indeed a testament to YC and EH's talent that they were glued to the scene unfolding before them because the emotions portrayed were so real. Then JW slowly lowered his lips towards SY and tenderly brushed his lips over hers in an achingly delicate kiss, a kiss so tender yet so full of love and reined-in passion; SY responds by tentatively returning the kiss and slowly surrendering to her own pent-up emotions. Every single person observing the scene unfolding before them held their breaths at the sweetness and tender passion of the scene. They were all so enthralled they could not take their eyes away from the couple who seemed to be in their own world. The PD-nim shouts: “Okay!” to signal the end of the first set-up for the Kiss. The PD-nim called for a break to set up for filming of the Kiss scene from another angle.

YC and EH were still standing close to each other catching their breaths, after the PD-nim ended filming of the scene. From the first touch of their lips, both of them experience the explosion of fireworks and the ringing of bells all around them. They realized that for them, this was not only a First Kiss Scene for JW and SY but was actually a real First Kiss for them, YC and EH, as a couple. YC glanced at EH, at the light in her eyes, the slight blush on her cheeks, the wisp of hair that slid forward to cover half of her face that had gotten loose from behind her ear. EH looked up shyly at YC and saw the wonder and inner joy that shone in his eyes and, in that instant, they both sensed that their lives were changing, shifting.