Chapter V - Getting to Know Each Other a Little Too Well?

Decision - A Turning Point

Yoon Eun Hye is seated in the Missing You cast waiting room at the MBC building for a meeting with Park Yoo Chun and PD-nim to discuss the scenes to be shot for the day. She came a little early to review the script since it seems that she will have a lot of crying scenes. She looks towards the calendar on the wall and realizes that it is the first day of December and that she has been filming with PYC for more than a month. It that short time they have gotten a lot closer. During their free time, they never seemed to have a shortage of topics to talk about. They joked around and talked, almost inconsequentially, yet guided by an underlying thirst to learn more about each other, to catch up on what has been happening in the last 8 years. She never expected that YC and she could so easily get along. That they would bond. Although she would like to reason the bond away by thinking it is because of the intense situation of the drama, she is honest enough to admit that the drama is not the only reason. YC and she clicked, surprising as it is, and they had a lot in common.

In one of their conversations, YC told her that he had a Fan Meeting and a promotional trip to China scheduled within the first 15 days of the month, EH appreciates how hard-working YC is and is in awe of his commitment to his fans but at the same time is also worried about how he can cope with such a schedule because, if she were in his shoes, she does not think she could do a Fan Meet along with a back-breaking filming schedule. This is why EH, during filming of a drama, makes sure that her schedule is light. Just a few photo-shoot or event appearances here and there so she can have enough rest and really concentrate on the drama. EH gathers in her wandering thoughts and goes back to reading her script and memorizing her lines while waiting for YC and the PD-nim

YC is also on his way to the MBC building. The production will be filming scenes for Episodes 9 & 10 this week and it seems that the writer is starting the lead up for the confrontation and revelation scenes coming up in the future. YC was looking forward to filming the uber emotional scenes with YEH, YSH and himself, YEH and himself, as well as, the scene with SOS (Soo Yeon’s omma/Jung Woo’s ae-in). He also realizes that it would be an emotional draining week of filming due to the numerous crying scenes but, funnily and unexpectedly enough, YC was in high spirits. He couldn’t exactly hide the fact from his staff, who knows him very well, that every time he receives his script, he first scans it for the possible filming of a scene with YEH and when he finds even just 1 scene he is buoyed up and excited and in a very good mood. He is looking forward to sharing jokes and thoughts on a myriad of subjects with EH. No subject was really taboo. The fact that a simple, normal, ordinary conversation between YEH and him could happen, could become a reality, remained with him, a lingering pleasure, a novel aspect of their getting reacquainted. Erasing the goofy smile he suddenly became conscious was on his lips, he looked down at the script and printed schedule he was holding.

Shifting his attention to his printed schedule, he saw that today was the scheduled day that a group of his Japanese Fans (originally 1000 that had ballooned to 3000) were to visit the MY filming site with a Fan Meet scheduled for tomorrow night with this same group of Japanese Fans. YC was always happy to be able to meet his fans who have supported him all these years whether as an actor or a member of JYJ; to give back the love they have always showered on him. He hoped he will not show any signs of tiredness or having a hard time to make his fans worry about him. He had a full filming day today but a free day tomorrow to prepare for his Fan Meet. Thinking about his free day, he felt a twinge of regret because he would not be seeing YEH on a suppossedly regular filming day. Seeing the MBC building a block away, he got ready to alight from the van but he couldn’t suppress the anticipatory smile that was starting to light up his face, he will be seeing EH very soon. YC did not notice the knowing looks his staff were giving each other as they saw his face brighten up.

YC and EH were filming the interrogation scene of Episode 9. This was a particularly emotionally draining scene to film, not because of NG’s but because of the different angles that needed to be covered. They had to repeat filming several times, he could see the effort that EH was exerting not to show how emotionally drained she was becoming with each repetition of the scene. Her nose was turning red and her eyes were getting swollen. Her staff was just applying ice on and around her eyes to control the swelling. During set-up breaks he would crack jokes to lighten the mood and make EH smile, it seems that EH could not manage to produce a laugh even for his silliest jokes, but YC was thankful he was able ease YEH’s mood. When they wrap up this scene, YEH would be done for the day. YC, on the other hand, had to continue filming some more scenes to make-up for his free day tomorrow. When the filming of the scene was a wrap, he said his goodbyes to everyone and made sure that YEH was the last person he said his goodbyes to. Approaching YEH expecting her to offer her hand for him to shake, which has become their special goodbye ritual, he deliberately held onto her hand a little longer, enough to give him time to pull her a little closer to him so he could stretch out his other arm and give her a pat on the back and ask if she was alright. Seeing YEH’s nod as she answered “I’m fine, thank you, Jung Woo-ah”; coupled with a weak but bright smile gave him an effervescent happiness tinge with relief that at least EH would be going home and will be able to rest. They did not see the knowing looks and smiles that their staff were giving each other.

EH was at home laying down on her bed feeling refreshed after a quick shower. She was reading a book to help her relax and fall asleep but she could not concentrate on the words swimming in front of her. Her thoughts were wandering to the strange goodbye YC gave her. She did not know how she felt about it. She was happy, but…she could not explain the extent of her happiness…she was starting to feel a lot more but she was afraid to think too much about it. She decided to just enjoy the moment/s she experienced with YC during the filming and not think or analyse it too much. Looking at the clock on the wall she realized that it was getting late and she had to go to sleep to be fresh for the next day’s filming. She fell asleep with a smile on her face thinking of the surprise she and a number of MY cast members agreed to do for YC’s Fan Meet.

YC was on his way home in the early hours of dawn, after a really draining and exhausting full day of filming, when his mind seemed to replay EH and his goodbyes. It suddenly occurred to him that the whole filming crew as well as their fellow actors involve in the scene and their own personal staffs was privy to that pretty ‘unique’ farewell. It occurred to him that his actions may be given a lot of meanings that could lead to a rumour, should just one person, even casually, mention this. He is confident that no one in that room will ever deliberately do anything to harm YEH but they might talk among themselves and be heard by other people less concerned with EH’s welfare.

“OMG!” YC thought, “What was I thinking about? Gosh, I wasn’t thinking at all! I just let my feelings lead me. Would they misunderstand? More importantly, would SHE misunderstand?” His thoughts continued frantically: “I won’t be seeing EH tomorrow so I won’t be able to gauge her reaction or even indirectly ask her what she thought. I’ll have to be really observant when we see each other again and take my cue from her. Gosh, I hope she will not feel awkward again, we are really so comfortable with each other. I felt a deepening closeness with her. I know that EH was also feeling the growing closeness between us, she was really opening up to me. I would really hate that!”

YC arrived home exhausted. He only had time for a quick shower before he felt too tired to stay awake. With his thoughts in turmoil; YC fell into a restless sleep.