CHAPTER VI – From Close to Closer…

Decision - A Turning Point

 

The morning of the Fan Meet YC wakes up from a restless sleep and glances at the clock beside his bed. With a groan, he gets up; walking half asleep and blindly towards his bathroom to do his morning ritual, then hesitates as he realizes that he is feeling anxious. “Strange,” YC thinks to himself, “I don’t usually feel anxious on the day of a Fan Meet, in fact, I am always excited and looking forward to meeting my fans who have gone out of their way to meet and spend some of their precious time with me.” YC shakes away his thoughts and resumes walking towards his bathroom when he abruptly stops and, with his eyes suddenly opening wide, remembers his last thoughts before giving way to the oblivion of exhaustion-driven sleep. “Drats!!! What am I going to do? I wish I could ask EH if she thought my goodbye to her last night felt weird or not so I can relax but I won’t be meeting her today. It would be even weirder if I called her to ask her; besides, she would probably be filming by now. Aish! What should I do?” YC whispers to himself.  With this thought going around in circles in his mind, YC finishes his after-waking-up-in-the-morning ritual. He consciously decides to push this thought to the back of his mind to deal with after the Fan Meet. After a quick shower he goes out of his room for some breakfast and to start preparations for the Fan Meet.

Mid-day of the Fan Meet day, EH and the MY production team take a break as she and some of the other actors/actresses prepare to surprise YC with their presence at his Fan Meet. Although she will have to return to film after the Fan Meet visit, EH doesn’t mind the extra activity. After all this time of YC’s taking care of her during filming, she was feeling excited and thankful to be given the honour of returning her debt of gratitude, even in a little way, with this surprise. Bowing to the production team and her fellow actors in the site, she says her goodbyes and promises to be back in time for the resumption of filming after the Fan Meet. She leaves with a glowing smile on her face anticipating the look on YC’s face when he sees his surprise guests. She is wondering if he will be happy to see her…er…them. The glow in EH’s face brings knowing smiles on the faces of her staff who follow her to the waiting van.

EH arrives at the Fan Meet venue around 10 minutes before the arranged time and is quickly led to a room, she greets her co-actors who are going to be surprise guests along with her. She first approaches Jang Mi In Ae (Eun Joo) and Kim So Hyun (Young Lee Soo Yeon) with a smile and a hug then turns to greet Oh Jung Se (Detective ‘wifey’) and Jin Hyuk (Detective Ahn) with a smile and a bow. She takes a seat on 1 of the comfortable arm chairs provided in the room and watches the screen where the Fan Meet is being shown. It looks as if the Fan Meet just started so she accepts a cup of hot chocolate being provided by the Fan Meet staff as she relaxes and settles in to talk to her co-actors in the room while waiting to be called to join the Fan Meet.

Unaware of the surprise prepared for him for the Fan Meet, YC is finally onstage accompanied by loud cheers from his loving fans. When the cheering quiets down, he greets the fans warmly; thanking them for coming all the way to Korea from Japan. Despite the presence of an interpreter, YC, to the delight of his adoring fans, decides to speak, mostly, in Japanese but apologizes beforehand if he makes any mistakes and adds that he would be more confident in speaking Japanese if he drunk some alcohol; which makes the audience laugh with him. As the interview goes along YC speaks of the drama in general, the filming and his character, Jung Woo.

During the course of the interview YC shares some of his MY trivia:

1)    He just tears up without having to exert any effort during emotional scenes when he sees Soo Yeon;

2)    He enjoys acting and is happy whenever he has the opportunity to do so;

3)    His favourite scene in MY, so far, is when he cried while eating the food that his mother (Lee Soo Yeon’s mother, actually) prepared and brought to him at the police station. [This has not been shown yet at the time of the Fan Meet. This is a scene in Episode 9 that was actually the last scene that YC filmed before going home at early dawn this morning.];

4)    He also added that the yellow umbrella will be appearing more often in the future episodes;

5)    The scene where he sang ‘Magic Castle” was filmed in the morning so his throat was a bit sore;

6)    He never danced with his Mom the way he did with Song Ok Sook (LSY’s Mom);

7)    He met YEH 8 years ago and they are close.

After YC makes his statement about being close with YEH, to the delight of the Japanese fans, the surprise guests are shown coming on stage; Jang Mi In Ae and Kim So Hyun enter first followed by Yoon Eun Hye, Jin Hyuk with Oh Jung Se being the last to enter the stage. YC is pleasantly surprised to see his co-stars but is shocked to see YEH among his guests. He quickly recovers from his shock and approaches his co-stars with a smile and a hand shake. YC is particularly watching YEH’s face/reaction, his heart in his throat, trying to judge if she was feeling awkward after their ‘goodbye scene’ the previous night. To his utmost relief, EH gave him a relaxed and easy-going smile and he felt light-headed as the air, he did not know he was holding, rushed into his lungs. Gathering his composure he leads his guest to the seats provided for them. Facing the stage from left to right sat; Oh Jung Se - Jang Mi In Ae – Kim So Hyun – YEH – PYC and Jin Hyuk. The emcee was seated slightly behind them.   

Another interview session ensues with the MY cast being included. During the entire interview, the Japanese fans can see the relaxed, comfortable and happy interaction of the cast members but especially between YEH and YC who kept on smiling and laughing:

YEH was being asked about her impression about YC which she answers with: “He is so kind and really handsome so I guess he is popular with the girls.”

When YC is asked the same question, he teasingly returns the favour and answers: “She is kind, really kind so she is popular with all the guys” and he laughs.

YC then interacts with KSY sending her a KaKao Talk message and reveals that he still calls her princess

YC reveals that he is very comfortable with his fellow detectives in the drama even if they just met around 15 days ago. Oh Jung Se butts in reveal that they went to a ‘public bath’ together and says that both his personality and body is seriously good.

YEH cutely asks forgiveness from the fans for the upcoming lovey-dovey scenes with YC, which the fans immediately give her.

KSY reveals that in the scene that she filmed with YC by the wall with the IMY written on it, she could immerse herself in her acting when she looks at him. She then gives YC the Teddy Bear that she brought with her as a gift and tells him that it can record his voice.

Soon after this the guests stand up to leave, as the Fan Meet goes on a short break and the stage is prepared for the second half of the Fan Meet. YC personally thanks and shakes hands with his guests as he accompanies them off the stage. When he shakes YEH’s hand, he softly thanks her and asks if she was okay. EH looks at him with a beautifully arched brow lifted up and an inquiring look written all over her face. YC quickly adds: “About last night…” Understanding dawning on her; EH smiles sweetly and just nods her head before leaving to return to her filming site. YC follows her with his eyes and releases a deep sigh of relief.

The Fan Meet proceeded without a problem and YC is delighted to have shared this special moment with his Japanese fans. He made sure that they all had a good time and would be going home with good memories.

YC was done for the day and reviewing the events of his day. It was a tiring and long day but he felt satisfied. The Fan Meet was a roaring success and his filming went well. Although he did not film scenes with EH that day, her surprise appearance in his Fan Meet more than made up of it. Because of her agreeing to be a surprise guest in his Fan Meet, he felt vindicated in claiming that they were close. He had to admit that, now, he felt even closer to YEH but he still could not label their relationship. In a short period of time, he felt that they skipped the friendship stage and just, suddenly, without him being aware of it, became close.

EH is again laying in bed pondering the same thing YC was. She is wondering how to label the inexplicable closeness that has developed between them. It seems that, in the short time they have gotten reacquainted, it was easy for her to talk and open up to him. She realized that their interaction in the Fan Meet just showed how much closer they have become without her even realizing it.

At the same time but in different places, YC and YEH made one of many decisions that would change their lives. They both decided to enjoy whatever they had without putting a label on their 'relationship'. They would allow themselves to leave caution behind and to seize the opportunity to develop the wonderful closeness that they felt growing between them.

On that fateful night, YC and EH fell asleep with this thought in their minds leaving twin peaceful and beatific smiles on their sleeping faces.