Chapter XLVII – Normalizing a High Profile Relationship

Decision - A Turning Point

 

By the middle of September, the brouhaha around PYC & YEH’s relationship died down a bit as news of other couples revealing relationships, getting married and, regretfully, even of couples breaking-up were being reported. Their being seen on dates every once in a while was still being talked about in blogs and the entertainment news, not as some kind of gossipy-snipping news, but as a cute sighting of the couple.

 

In truth, YC and EH did not have a lot of time to see each other as often as they liked, which was every day, once they got off cloud 9 and landed right smack in the middle of real life. They both had professional commitments to concentrate on and attend to and they both needed to stay healthy with enough sleep and the right diet to pull them through their busy schedules.

 

Both knew that this was the stage that would test their relationship the most, Yes,  they loved each other very much, that was a fact, but they were realistic enough to know that they had to really see if the strong love they felt for each other would weather the nitty-gritty of most relationships, the times when one or the other would feel the need to have time for friends or a boys/girls night out; times when they may be too tired or busy to send SMS messages within the day or make video calls; times when expectations aren’t met and disappointment sets in.  In short, how will they handle things when the rose-colored tinted glasses of the early stages of being in love start to fade and reality sets in?

 

Fortunately, YC and EH were committed to their love and making their relationship work; to NEVER forget to SMS each other as soon as they wake up and before going to bed. A simple message of “Good morning jagiya, off to work have a good day. I love you!” or “Long day today…so tired…but will be dreaming of you, ae-in, I love you, good night.” was enough to make each other smile and happily start or end their day.

 

Their being in the same business made it easier for them to understand each other’s grueling schedules, especially since EH was seriously considering accepting a drama. YC was very appreciative of the fact that, although he did not ask for it, EH would consult him about the drama synopses that were sent her way to consider and EH would earnestly listen to his input. He was proud that his EH was an independent woman who made her own decisions without regrets and was humbled by the fact that his strong woman would ask and consider his opinions and advice. YC returned the honor by also asked EH’s opinion on the possible projects he was being offered considering that it may be the last one before he goes off for his Mandatory Military Service. They also made sure that, at least once a week, they made time to see each other and go on a date. If they really couldn’t make it, they made it a point to have a LONG video call. It was like having a long-distance relationship but it seemed that such is the norm of a relationship between celebrities. Honest and constant communication was the key, if the relationship was to last. Sustaining a relationship needed time and effort as well as some sacrifices from the couple involved.

 

Another good thing about YC and EH is that they NEVER let the day end with one or the other feeling disappointed, sad, unhappy or hurt. Both were sensitive people and could easily discern, by their partner’s reaction, if their actions or words could have been misunderstood and inadvertently caused the other to be disappointed, sad, unhappy or hurt and they made sure that no matter what they had to do, they ended the day with the misunderstanding cleared and both of them ending with a deeper understanding of the other.

 

Even if YC and EH knew of their individual circle of friends, since most were either in or connected to the Korean entertainment industry, they made sure that they met each other’s friends and got to know them a little better so that, when they spent solo time with these friends, the other would feel secure and confident that they were truly just having a clean and fun time with friends.

 

YC and EH were also not averse to readily admitting when they did something wrong or made a mistake and immediately and humbly apologizing for it and readily accepting the apology lovingly and whole-heartedly without the need of be the point.  

 

Both seemed to take to heart the passage of the bible about love from 1 Corinthians 13: 4-8; 13; *“Love is patient, love is kind. Love is not jealous, it does not put on airs, it is not snobbish. Love is never rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not prone to anger; neither does it brood over injuries. Love does not rejoice in what is wrong but rejoices in the truth. There is no limit to love’s forbearance, to its trust, its hope, its power to endure. Love never fails. There are in the end three things that last: faith, hope and love, and the greatest of these is love.”* which was often used as a reading in Christian wedding ceremonies.

 

Instead of having a party to celebrate YEH’s birthday, YC and EH decided to spend the day bringing food and gifts as well as joy to an orphanage with a center for the homeless and the elderly nearby run by nuns, without media coverage but bringing along family and close friends to share their time and talents. It was a fun and meaningful day with the homeless and the elderly smiling and laughing as they watched the children playing games to win simple prizes of school supplies, chocolates and pastries and the impromptu concert mounted by YEH and her Baby V.O.X noonas as well as YC and his JYJ brothers, while enjoying cool drinks and a tasty but healthy meal. It was a tiring but fulfilling day for all. YC, EH and their friends also made a substantial donation to the nuns to help in the running of the orphanage and the center for the homeless and the elderly. They also promised to send a monthly donation to augment the costs for the education of the children of the orphanage and the medical needs of the homeless and the elderly at the center.

 

An outsider may say that YC and EH relationship was all smooth sailing, but, in truth, they also had their fair share of ups and downs. What the people, who know them well and who were aware of the little downs they had to face, admired the most was how these lovebirds handled their few ‘downs’. YC and EH NEVER kept secrets from each other, well except when they were planning surprises for the other, that is. Although EH is a pacifist, she is not afraid of facing any problem head on and working out how to resolve it. YC is bold and decisive; he definitely will actively work in solving any problems that come his way. Early on, YC and EH have learned to adjust from their thinking of themselves as individuals to being now part of a pair, a couple, hence they have started to practice always sharing all their problems, professional problems, friendship problems, regardless if they started out as individual or couple problems. They shared the problem, they discussed it and came to a resolution about it together. No problem was too small or too private for them to discuss, doing so lessened the burden because the burden was shared and the knowledge of being able to help a loved one when you were needed the most was very empowering, fulfilling, rewarding and formed a strong bond between them. It cemented their faith in each other knowing that their partner will stand by them in everything.

 

Sharing everything bolstered their trust in one another and presented them with a clear picture of what their future would be like if they kept doing what they have already put in place and even improving on it.

 

As the days went by their relationship grew from strength to strength. YC’s and EH’s love for one another grew deeper, their trust and faith in each other stronger.

 

Their family and friends rejoiced in how they saw YC and EH work hard to make keep their relationship and NEVER take each other for granted. YC and EH never slacked when it came to their work but, now, both were confident that, above all things, one’s happiness and well-being was the priority of the other, ALWAYS.

 

 

*Biblical quote taken from the “New American Bible”