CHAPTER XIV – Ready to Drop, Exhausted, But Still Euphoric

Decision - A Turning Point

 

The team has been filming out of sequence for the past week, trying to film all the outdoor shoots while the weather was clear or when the snowfall was light. The production barely had time to rest, working through Christmas day.

Early dawn of the 26th of December YC and YEH were again filming outdoors. It was of Episode 15; the scene after SY storms out of Harry’s house declaring that she does not want to be either Joy or SY anymore and JW chases after her. YC was very worried for YEH because she was in really thin clothing, attired in only a wool long-sleeved red and black striped shirt, a grey wool skirt, black stockings and heeled black shoes; he wanted to wrap her up in one or two of his thick blankets to keep her warm. He felt he was better off since he was wearing a jacket as well as a coat.

YEH was equally worried for YC. After she recently witnessed him having an asthma attack, she wanted to make sure that it could be avoided as much as possible. As a precaution, YEH even made sure that she had YC’s asthma medication within reach at all times, just in case he has an attack while they were filming. She also saw him sniffling and was worried that he was starting to develop another cold. The fact that YC was more warmly dressed than her did not lessen her worries one bit.   

Both YC and YEH knew that the filming of this scene would be really gruelling. It would drain them physically because of the extreme cold and the foreseeable number of repetition of the scene for camera angles needed to perfect the scene, add to that the fact that they were both pretty exhausted as it is. They would be drained emotionally, especially YEH, since she would be crying a lot and would need to repress/express so much emotions in the scene. JW may have a long confrontation scene with SY before SY's breakdown scene but YC acknowledged that SY's breakdown was YEH’s scene to carry and he will do his best to support her by responding with the right emotions so that there will be no NGs and the filming can be wrapped-up as early as possible and they could all go home. YC thoughts were suddenly wandering and the scene in his head was of YEH asleep in his arms safely and warmly enfolded in a light violet colour blanket. YC snapped out of his reverie when his coordinator came to fix his appearance in preparation for filming. He gave YEH a secret glance and smiled in approval when he saw her, having an animated conversation with the PD-nim a few feet away, wearing her winter jacket and with a blanket around her shoulders.

As filming of the scene started YC and EH supported each other as much as they could. During quick set-up breaks he made YEH smile or laugh to lighten the mood. EH on the other hand could not stop always looking at YC looking for any sign of a cold or even worst laboured breathing and asking him if he was alright making YC smile because of the caring and warmth he felt from her. After every sequence where YEH had to cry, as much as he wanted to wipe the tears from her eyes and cheek himself, he satisfied himself with instantly pressing a tissue into her hand, sometimes taking a moment to hold on to her hand, so she could dab the tears from her eyes. His reward would be the watery grateful smile she would give him. During a hug sequence, he would give her a really tight hug and after each take, he would rub her back with his hand, which surprising EH would return, before releasing her.

Since they had to stay in character during breaks so as to keep the atmosphere intact, YC and EH stood together and had time to have a private conversation. They marvelled at the efficient and hard-working production team, who they knew worked longer hours than they did giving EH the opening to ask YC: “YC-ah, do you plan to give the production team and our co-actors gifts when filming ends? I usually do so…”  YC: “Yes, I would want to, I’m thinking about what to give them. What are you thinking of giving them? ”  EH: “Uhm…as you know, the crew has been working hard doing their usual job as well as protecting us from any dating rumours. I would like to give them a memorable gift, I’d like to send them on a weekend all expenses paid trip to either a Southeast Asian vacation spot or to Jeju Island even if our ratings do not exceed 20%.”  YC: “Wow! That’s a wonderful idea, why don’t we do that!”  EH: “Huh…We?”  YC answered with a cheeky smile: “Of course, WE! You did not think I would let you shoulder that kind of big expense alone did you? This is, afterall, OUR drama”  EH was at a loss for words and could only stare open-mouthed at YC. YC reached out his hand to gently push her chin up to close as he whispered: “Let’s do this together, okay.” EH could not say a word, she was too stunned. This time she really felt like crying because she was so touched by YC’s offer. This was the first time that someone, aside from her family, her Baby Vox members and really close friends, ever offered to share responsibilities or obligations with her. That is was YC who made the offer said a lot about his personality. The moment was interrupted by the PD-nim signalling the restart of filming.

At yet another break, YC asked EH if she was attending the 2012 MBC Drama Awards Night on the weekend. He was sure he would be attending it with Jae Joong-hyung because it was already pencilled in on his schedule. In fact, he did not have any filming scheduled on that day. EH answered that she was not sure yet because she had filming that day and it has only been written in as a tentative activity in her schedule. YC told her that he wished she would attend because that would mean that they would see each other outside of filming, for the first time. EH said that she really had no idea but would let him know, one way or another, as soon as her attendance of the MBC Drama Awards is confirmed. Actually, YC wanted to know because his Mom already hinted that she wanted to attend the ceremony, he suspected, because she wanted to see EH in person and even meet her, if possible, as well as observe their interaction. He never thought that his Mom was blind or obtuse, in fact, his Mom was very intuitive. Besides, the significant looks his Mom and YH have been exchanging whenever he was around was not lost on him. It would be very interesting if an opportunity arises allowing him to introduce EH to his Mom.

At last, after 6 hours, filming was wrapped-up and they would be going home. YC and EH were dead on their feet. Seeing his coordinator talking to the costume designer of the drama he suddenly noticed that, from the back, she looked similar to EH, they were also wearing similar blue down long jackets. YC thought after looking around a bit: “Hmmm…could I risk it? There are a lot lesser onlookers now.” Making a quick decision, in the guise of saying his goodbyes to the team and crew, he tells EH to go over to his coordinator with him along with her other staff members. EH too exhausted to argue signals her staff to follow them. As soon as they reach his coordinator, he pulls up the hood of EH’s jacket to cover her head and part of her face and pretends to say his goodbyes and bring his ‘coordinator’ with him to the van. Nobody notices the switch until YC and EH were already inside YC’s van and, inside the safety of his van, YC gives a wave and a triumphant smile to the stunned group of his coordinator and EH’s staff members.

YC leads EH to the comfortable bench seat at the back of his van, gently sitting his already half asleep princess and covering her up with 2 thick blankets before sitting beside her and taking her into his arms. YC takes a deep contented breath and puts his finger on his lips signalling their companions in the van to silence. He then settles down to snuggle beside EH and just happily watch her sleep peacefully in the safety of his arms. He suddenly realizes that he was actually able to make his earlier thoughts become reality. He knew that his staff was openly giving him questioning but approving looks but he really did not mind. EH made him happy and, he knew that he was not being over-confident when he says that he was making her equally happy