CHAPTER XLI – Facing Crisis

Decision - A Turning Point

 

The intimate candle light birthday dinner that YC and EH shared in YEH’s home was a huge success. But YC was more delighted and happy to see how much closer YEH was becoming with Mama Park. He realized that these 2 beautiful women in his life had so many similarities in faith, character, moral beliefs and personality. He was also happy to note that EH was becoming comfortable around YH and whatever awkwardness that was previously present has completely been changed into the warm affection of family.

 

EH was equally happy in the knowledge that her family has come to accept and love YC. She was doubly happy since YC took up a sport that Daddy Yoon enjoyed playing a lot, Golf. Mommy Yoon kept on saying that she was so blest to have YC as her boyfriend. BanSuk has really warmed up to YC and was always asking her when they would be visiting again so that he can make time to be home, her jagiya and namdongsaeng now got along like a house on fire. YC has bonded with her family so naturally and effortlessly by just being himself. Her family can see how much YC loves and cares for her and they have truly appreciated how protective he was of her.

 

Both YC and EH felt that their world was truly complete and perfect. Despite the fact that they were now both busy with their individual activities, their daily SMS’s or video calls as well the effort they both took to synchronize their free days made their relation stronger. Their belief in their love stronger and their faith and trust in each other absolute as the months of togetherness go by.

 

Both YC and EH were deep into their work and have only met personally for a stolen dinner or snack a few times. It had been a week since they last saw each other when one early evening EH, while she was on a filming site for her drama, receives an unexpected and urgent SMS from YC that says: “Can you make time tonight? Need to see you and talk with you ASAP. Will be in your house waiting for you and will stay until you get home. Finish filming safely but quickly. Never forget that I love you and only you.”

EH’s initial smile upon receiving the SMS turns into a worried frown because YC’s SMS had her woman’s intuition on high alert. She could feel YC’s tenseness in the urgency of his need to talk to her. Checking her script to see how many scenes she still had to film, she was relieved to see that if they nailed all the scenes with no NG, which was not impossible with the quality of the acting chops of her co-stars, she could be done in 4 hours at the latest. She then quickly sent a reply to YC’s SMS saying: “If all goes well, I’ll be done in 4 hours. Whatever it is worrying you; we can talk about it and get through it together. I have faith in us and I love you very much. Jagiya, what do you want me bring home for a snack?”

YC smiles as soon as he finishes reading EH’s SMS and replies immediately with: “Ae-in, all I need is you. Come home soon, I’ll be waiting.” YC, suddenly feels his worry and tension ease away knowing that EH will stand by him and always be on his side, stops pacing back and forth inside his bedroom and sits down on his bed.

 

EH was home by 11pm and entered her home to see YC napping on her sofa in front of the TV. She thought to herself: “Aigoo my jagiya must be truly stressed out about something that is why he is so tired.” She decides to prepare a light snack of fruits before she wakes YC up from his slumber.

 

Carrying the tray of assorted fruits into the living room and placing it carefully on the table in front of the sofa, EH then kneels down facing YC and gives him a soft kiss on his forehead, YC smiles but does not wake up. She then kisses his cheek, still no sign that he was waking up. She then kisses his nose, which makes him wrinkle his nose and move his head slightly. Finally, she then kisses YC tenderly on his lips and got the surprise of her life when YC gently grab the back of her neck to bring her closer to him and gave her a deep passionate kiss and not letting go as he began to sit up and pull her up on the sofa beside him. When YC ended the kiss, there was a huge smile on his face making EH gently punch him on the chest to accuse him saying: “You were just acting to be asleep weren’t you? You were awake even before I kissed you!!! Why you…you…”

YC just laughed out loud and replied: “Yay…why should I miss any moment that you kiss me? I love waking up to your gentle and tender kisses so I just savoured the moment. Nothing wrong with that is there?”

EH joined in YC’s laughter and said: “Arraso, let’s have a snack while you tell me what was so urgent.” Noticing YC looking around she continued: “I came home alone since it seemed we had something serious to take about.” Seeing YC quickly sober up as soon as she mentioned ‘talking’, EH knew that her intuition was right, it seemed that after all the months of bliss they will be facing their first crisis together as a couple.

 

Accepting the slice of apple EH handed to him in a desert fork and, seeing her settle in beside him on the sofa, YC cleared his throat to start their ‘discussion’.

YC: “Uhm…Ae-in-yah, mianhe…I really don’t know how this happened but I have to warn you that in the next couple of days a dating scandal involving me will break out on an on-line site.”

EH: “What?!? Did we get caught? Did someone take a picture of us together? Ottoke, we have been very careful. What do you want to do? What did your agency say? What do they plan to do? Will you need me to do anything for you? OMG!!! I need to contact my people.” About to stand to get her phone, YC grabs her hand and gently pulls her back down on the sofa.

YC: “Eun Hye ah, it’s not about us.” Seeing EH’s puzzled expression, YC sighs deeply and continues: “It’s a dating scandal about me and some other girl.”

Stunned, EH could only look at YC before exclaiming: “WHAT?!? What other girl? Who is she?”

YC reaches out and takes hold of both of EH’s hand in each of his, he looks deeply into her eyes and says: “You trust me, right?”

EH replies without hesitation but full of conviction: “Of course, I do!!!”

Relieved, YC gives EH a sweet smile and continues: “The scandal is about me dating a young pro golfer. As you know, I’m learning to play golf, basically as a form of exercise but ultimately so that I can confidently join Abeonim, every once in a while, in his golf games. I have to admit that I have met her but I’ve hardly spoken, I mean really had a conversation with her. I also have to admit that I have met her parents; they run a Pro Golf shop that I visit and that is how I met them. She has not met either my Omma or YH and neither has her parents met my Mom. There are no pictures and there will NEVER be any. Do you understand me?”

EH nods her head and say: “Jagiya, I believe you, trust you and have faith in you. I made this promise to you from the very beginning when I agreed to embark on this relationship with you. You should never have worried and just had confidence in my love for you.”

YC: “I was not really worried, not for myself, but more for you. I don’t want you to be hurt in any way. I wanted to tell you myself because I knew that I could count on your love and understanding.”

EH: “Aiya, being in this business, I try not to get hurt easily by what other people say and think. The people who could potentially hurt me, especially if my actions may have negatively impacted them in any way, are my loved ones, which includes you, my parents, my brother, Eomeonim and YH; the people I consider part of my family, which includes my really close and long time friends like Jadu unnie, my Baby Vox unnis, my Neris and Warriors. I am a lot stronger than I look you know.”

YC smiles and jokingly replies: “Of course I know you are strong!!! You are the ‘young girl warrior’! This remark lightens the atmosphere inside the living room.

YC continues his tale: “It seems that an anonymous source has come out and claims that this girl and I have been in a relationship since May this year, that our families have met and that our relationship is serious. My management company does not want to give any kind of credit to this utterly false news so they will not make a move to suppress it; but, be rest assured that as soon as the scandal breaks out, they will issue a denial within the hour to defuse the situation and make it look like a misinterpretation of the facts making it clear as crystal that the news is false and groundless and saving face for the other party as well. No one needs to get hurt regarding this matter. As you well know, my management company knows for a fact that the person I am truly dating and very much in love with is you and only you, ae-in, nobody else. I’ve already explained the situation to Omma and YH and, as a courtesy to Abeonim, Eomeonim and Ban Suk, I would like to call them and explain the situation to them personally before the scandal breaks out. Do you think it will it be okay to call them now?”

EH could only nod her head with tears of respect and joy in her eyes. Joy and respect in the knowledge that YC honours her family and holds them in high esteem to want to personally inform them of the situation and face his responsibility as her namja chingu. She then reaches out to pick up her phone and make the call.

 

After YC finished his call which seemed to be full of apologies, on YC’s part and assurances from her family. YC reached out to pull EH closer to his side and says: “Ae-in, thank you so much for having faith in me and trusting me, for loving me enough to believe implicitly in me. Thank you for standing firmly by my side. I know that I can face any difficulty as long as you are beside me to support me with your own strength.” They both relax and enjoy a comforting cuddle secure in the knowledge that they have successfully jumped over the hurdle of their first crisis as a couple.

 

YC’s dating scandal broke out a couple of days later but because of the swift response by YC and his management agency it was barely a 1 day wonder, easily defused. The fact that the other party made no comment at all also greatly helped to make the issue, generally, easily forgettable.

 

Toward the end of EH’s drama, YC could sense a certain sadness in EH. She did not say anything about it to him but he knew her well enough to know this for certain. He could feel that she was more really sad than depressed. Although he admired the fact that EH did not want to bother anyone with what she considered her problem, YC was slightly irked that EH would not share this with him. He was her boyfriend and it was his job to make her happy, to cheer her up when she was down. He was planning to change this reticence of EH, she really did need to learn to open up to him on everything, like he was with her. She should learn to share her ‘burdens’ with him so that he can help her carry it.

 

On the early morning of one rare day that they were both off work at the same time, YC brought EH to the Yoon family home for a visit and lunch, he wanted EH to forget her troubles and basked in the warmth of the love of her family. He wanted her to loosen up and be carefree as only she can be when she was in the midst of the people who love her 100% unconditionally, which was her family and which also now included him. YC was hoping that when they got home to EH’s house after this outing, EH would be in a more relaxed mood and open up to him about what has been bothering her lately, making her exude a vibe of sadness.

 

Their outing was a success, YC noticed that EH was in a more relaxed and happier mood was they were making their way home to EH’s place. When EH was comfortably seated on the sofa, YC went to the entertainment centre and chose a CD of EH’s favourite mood music and slotted it into the player before joining her on the sofa and taking her into his arms for a cuddle. After a few minutes of companionable silence YC said: “Eun Hye, ae-in, you seem so down lately, could you not trust me enough to share what is bothering you with me? Why are you keeping quiet and carrying the burden alone? My shoulders are broad and they can help you carry the burden. Please don’t leave me out.”

Astounded by YC’s words, EH quickly replies: “Chunnie, jagi, please do not think that way, I trust you with my life; I am just not used to sharing how I feel with others, not even my parents, since I have always believed that I should own my feelings and not burden others with them, most especially if those feelings are negative ones. I am sorry if I hurt you and made you feel left out. That was not my intent.”

YC: “I know that jagiya and I can understand. But I’d like you to share everything with me, your thoughts, your joy, your successes and everything good but I also want to share your burdens and be there for you when you feel sad and you need someone to just be there to listen and hold you to cheer you up, to comfort you and, if you need and ask for it, give you advice. I am that person, jagiya. I want you to be assured that you can come to me with anything and I will be there for you just as you were there for me in my crisis. From this day onward we should make the effort to share everything and not have a single secret between us, arraso.” Seeing EH’s nod, YC gently asks: “So, my love, what is making you sad?”

EH: “Oh Chunnie, honey, it is my drama. I am not sad for myself, I am sad for the crew who are working hard and for LDG oppa who is making his comeback after a 7-8 years sabbatical. He is acting so well and working so hard. You are aware that MHIYD is not doing well in the ratings right. The story-line is a mess and the potential I saw, that made me accept this drama over the others offered to me, was not tapped into and fulfilled. Don’t get me wrong the ambience in the filming set is very positive. I am glad that there are no complaints about our acting because every single actor in this drama is working very hard to give viewers the best we can with the limited material presented to us. All the actors, the crew and staff are keeping the filming set positive and are staying cheerful. I can honestly say that I enjoy working with OJS oppa again especially as he really is looking after me like a real older brother. LDG oppa may be reserved but is also funny and is quite a gentleman. JYH is like a younger brother; he is so cheerful and loves to joke around. We do have a lot of fun. I get along well with Han Chae Ah and Lee Mi Do unnie and I am learning a lot from Choi Myoung Gil sumbaenim. Overall it is a great experience. I am just sad that a drama that had so much potential was bogged down with pressure to the point that it inhibited the writer to see her vision for the drama through. I know that this is not new on K-drama land but it’s just sad that it happened to this particular drama. Everything else was really perfect, the cast, the staff and the crew.”

YC who was silent all this time and gently rubbing EH’s back with his hand as he was hugging her lightly, said: “Eun Hye ah, you really are such a good person being sad for others more than yourself but don’t you see, there were more positive than negative points in your experience. You worked with a great cast and crew, bonded with them, hence had a wonderful filming experience to take away with you. You have learned a lot from the people you worked with regarding your craft and you have learned a lesson about how k-drama land works. This will help you in your future decision making processes regarding your career moves. You don’t need to feel sad for anybody else, like you, they will take what good they can from their experience and move on with a greater insight and lessons learned.”

Hugging YC tightly in gratitude for his insight and understanding EH says: "Aiyoo, why am I so lucky to have such a wise young man by my side? I must have saved several nations in my previous life to be so lucky now. Jagiya, thank you for making me share my burden with you. Thank you for making me realize that you will always be there to listen to me without forming any judgement; to just listen and accept then share your insights. I’ve learned my lesson. I promise not to keep anything from you, no matter how small it may seem to me.”

Feeling reassured that he has helped EH, YC stayed for another half hour with YEH before taking his leave to go home and rest for the coming long day of work the next morning.

 

On the last day of filming for MHIYD, YC sent a SMS to his OJS hyung thanking him for taking care of EH. OJS's reply read: “It was a pleasure my friend. I have never enjoyed working with such a beautiful, y, talented, well-mannered and kind-hearted co-star. I will definitely work with her again anytime.” YC had a happy smile on his face thinking to himself: “Aiyoo...my ae-in, it seems she has collected another fan with her charms!”

 

On the day of MHIYD's wrap-up party, EH knew that YC would be having a free day from his filming of ‘Sea Fog’ and would be coming home. She decided to invite him to her home for a home-cooked meal. She planned to prepare a healthy seafood and vegetables feast her jagiya needed to be healthy so that he would have the energy for filming; she had 2 bottles of a white wine called Grüner Veltliner from Austria cooling in her wine chiller to accompany the meal. She planned to prepare everything before she left for the party. She was counting on YC being tired enough to take a nap, hopefully, in her bedroom to give her ample time to complete preparation, plating and serving of her planned meal.

 

YC entered EH’s home to the delicious smell of crabs. Entering the kitchen, he saw the slow-cooker and peeked in to see Kkotgae-tang (Spicy Blue Crab Soup), warming nicely. He wanted to steal a taste but controlled himself. He also stopped himself from peeking into his ae-in’s refrigerator and restrained himself from poking around the kithen so as not to spoil her surprise and decided to play some music on EH’s entertainment center in the living room, and sit on the sofa instead.

 

YEH came home at around 10:30pm, she smiles when she notices YC lying down on his side on her sofa. She tiptoes into the room to see if her jagiya was asleep; confirming this, she puts her index to her lips warning her manager and friend, MSM, to keep quiet. They silently move toward the kitchen and, with MSM’s help, EH finishes preparing the meal, plating each dish and arranging them on the dining table. Satisfied with the preparation, EH thanked MSM for her help and handed her a bag with plastic containers containing some or the food EH prepared that evning in them for MSM to take home with her.

 

EH entered the living room and approached the sleeping YC and took a moment to admire her handsome and angelic looking jagiya. Feeling a bit naughty and adventurous, EH run into her room and came back with a feather in her hand. She approached the sofa and brushed the feather across his forehead, she smiled as YC, still asleep, automatically brushes his forehead. She then followed this up with a feather-like kiss on his forehead that produced an angelic smile on YC’s face. She then repeated the process on YC’s nose and exposed cheek. She noticed that YC was already awake and just pretending to be asleep by the time she brushed and kissed his cheek and knowing that YC expected her to move on to his lips, the naughty gene in EH made her reach for the side of his waist and start tickling him instead, making him sit up immediately in surprise and they started a joyfully childish competition of tickling each other until YC gave in to EH. Laughing like 2 little kids, they held hands as they entered the dining room to enjoy the seafood and vegetable meal and wine EH prepared.