CHAPTER X – Speculation Within the Family and Approval from “Missing You” Cast and Production Crew

Decision - A Turning Point

 

After a couple of non-filming days for ‘Missing You’, Yoo Chun came out of his bedroom humming an upbeat song and in very high spirits. Mama Park, who was in the kitchen finishing breakfast preparations, and Yoo Hwan, who happened to be in the living room watching the morning news, looked up surprised upon catching sight of him. They are a bit surprised, but in a positive way, because they have not seen Yoo Chun so ‘chirpy’ and exuding such a real and honest happy vibe for quite some time now. Mama Park and Yoo Hwan exchanged questioning looks then gave YC a swift glance before looking back at each other with a smile.

YC gives Mama Park a kiss on the cheek and a hug as a morning greeting as Mama Park says: “YC-nie-yah, you seem to be in good spirits this morning, did something good happen in the last couple of days?” YC gives his Mom an impish smile and answers mysteriously: “Uhm…not sure yet actually, but I might have a surprise for you soon…some really good news.” Yoo Hwan, who heard the tail end of their conversation as he entered the kitchen to join his Mom and elder brother; jokingly remarked: “What surprise? What good news? Did you suddenly find a girlfriend? When did you find time to look for one? You’ve been too busy filming “Missing You” with Yoon Eun Hye noona... unless…” Yoo Hwan abruptly stops and gives Yoo Chun a calculatingly shrewd look that Yoo Chun returned with a wink and a wide grin. Yoo Hwan’s jaw drops as his eyes suddenly widens to their limits. Mama Park, who was listening to their conversation and watching her sons’ interaction, pauses in the middle of setting the breakfast table with a speculative look of her own in her face. Mother and sons seem to be suspended in time as Mama Park and Yoo Hwan suddenly seem to come up with the same question in their minds: “Has Yoo Chun found someone special? Could it be…YOON EUN HYE?!”   

Mommy Yoon checked her mobile phone and was surprised to see her beloved daughter’s name flashing on the screen. She quickly answers the phone, wondering why Eun Hye was calling her so early in the morning and in a panicky voice asks: “Eun Hye-yah, did something happen? Are you not feeling well? Don’t you have filming today? Do you want me go to your house? Will I…” Eun Hye gently but quickly butts in: “Mom, I’m fine. I’ll be leaving in a little while to go to the MBC building waiting room before proceeding to filming. Umm…Mom, do you mind if I ask you something a bit personal?” Mommy Yoon curiously asked: “What about? I’ll try to answer your question if I can.” YEH answers: “You have to be really honest Mom, okay. Well…how did you know that Dad was THE ONE for you? What made you decide to defy your parents and elope with him, to live with him without the blessings of your elders and the security of being married but patiently wait until you got their approval before getting married?” Initially stunned by the questions her daughter bombarded her in quick succession, Mommy Yoon takes a deep breath and, as calmly as possible asked EH: “Why the sudden curiosity, my dear? Is it important that I answer it right away? Can’t it wait?” Hearing EH sigh softly on the other end of the line, Mommy Yoon’s ‘mother’s antennae’ senses the importance of her answers to EH’s questions. Mommy Yoon immediately decides to answer her daughter’s questions: “Any way, honey, you and Bansuk know your Dad’s and my love story. It was never a secret. Let me try to answer your questions as honestly and candidly as I can. How did I know that your Dad was THE ONE for me…well, I asked myself if I can imagine a life/a future without your father in it, if I can live in a world where your father did not exist…the resounding answer was NO. As for the other questions, they only have one common answer…I loved your father enough to give up everything, to risk everything and I had full faith and trust in him, trusted that he loved me enough to protect me, make me and our future children his top priority. I knew that we would protect and support each other and our future children to the best of our ability; that we would be able to face any problem that may arise as long as we were together. To this day, we still love each other very much. Our trust in each other and support of each other has not changed one bit.  Your Dad and I are very much blest to have found each other. And you know what; my mother’s instinct tells me that Bansuk and you will be just as, if not more, blest, as we are.” Mommy Yoon continued to ask: “But why the seeming urgency, honey? Have you met someone special?” Expecting the usual instant denial, the silence on the other end of the line spoke volumes. Mommy Yoon started to ask again. “Eun Hye..?” EH did not give her Mom time to question her further and quickly interrupted her Mom saying: “OMG, I have to leave now Mom or I’ll be late, I did not realize that time was flying so quickly. Say hi to Dad for me and give him a kiss for me, give Bansuk a hug and tell them I’ll visit soon.” And quickly cut the connection thinking: “That was close!!!” Mommy Yoon stared at her mobile phone speculatively thinking: “Is my baby girl finally falling in love? But with whom?” Recalling what drama EH was presently working on and with whom, she could easily cross out YSH (really too young), suddenly she thought: “Could it possibly be…PARK YOO CHUN!?!”

YC entered the MBC waiting room and saw EH deep in thought, making him hesitate and wonder if seeing EH thinking was a good sign or not. He slowly approached EH’s area trying to gauge her mood.  

EH was pondering on her Mom’s answers to her questions; she did not think that she was presently at a point where she could answer the same questions the way her Mom unequivocally did. What YC and she had was too new, too unexpected. Besides, she knew that she had really BIG trust issues. The euphoria she was feeling for the past 2 days was slowly wearing off and indecisiveness compounded by past fears and insecurities was starting to rear its ugly head.

YC sensed EH’s ambivalence and decided to be the prince he was in his dreams for the past few nights and slay this first dragon blocking the path of the beautiful opportunities and possibilities in front of them. Bringing up a bright smile on his face, he approached EH and distracted her from her reverie by greeting her cheerfully and in aegyo said: “SY-nie did you have a relaxing couple of free days. Didn’t you miss me? Did you sleep well? I didn’t, I missed you soooo much!” “Yikes!!!” EH thought looking around, not realizing that YC called her SY, “What is this man thinking of!?!” Seeing the indulgent smiles on the faces of the people already in the room, she got her cue and mischievously answered: “Yay! Why would I miss you JW-yah, your kiss was not that special.” This brought laughter around them and instantly put EH back at ease. YC released a deep cleansing breath and thought to himself: “Crisis averted!”

YC and EH started the day filming in different locations but they knew that they will be filming together in the playground later. YC, OJS, YSH and some other cast members were filming together at the site of the mental institution, taking hours to finish as much as they possible could while YEH was filming alone in the accident site of Det. Kim ahjussi. In the course of the filming YC started developing a cold due to the cold weather and inadequate clothing he was wearing during filming. By mid-afternoon it was snowing so heavily the PD decided to call a break but putting the cast and crew on stand-by for filming on the playground as soon the snow stops falling. Determined to make sure that EH and he spent the break time together, YC immediately asked his manager to call ahead to a BBQ place they spotted nearby and reserve a private area for around 50 people, then immediately call YEH’s co-manager to ask them to proceed to the BBQ place for dinner and a few drinks. YC was aware that EH and he could not be seen alone together, if he was to protect EH from dating rumours as he promised her, so taking the entire cast and crew out for a BBQ meal was the safest option. Even if they did not get to sit together at the same table he could make absolutely sure that he would occupy the seat directly behind her making it possible for him to look as if he was casually talking to her but still enable him to freely catch a hold of her hand on the side not visible to other people.  

YC, and his group from the mental hospital filming site, was the first to arrive at the BBQ place. The crew tried their best to cover YC as they climbed up the stairs to the area exclusively reserved for their use. YC immediately reserved the 4 tables furthest from the stairs for EH’s and his staff. YC was getting agitated, because EH, and the filming crew with her, was over 30 minutes late. After another 15 minutes, he heard a slight commotion downstairs and knew for a fact that his EH had arrived. He knew that no amount of trying to surround her to keep her out of sight would effectively prevent her from being noticed. He realized early on that even if she was not THE Yoon Eun Hye she would still be attracting a lot of attention because of her great personality.  YC forced himself to stay seated because the urge to get up, meet her and her to the seat beside him was very strong. He tried to cover up his excitement and look relaxed, though he wasn’t actually fooling anyone in the room. As soon as EH was in the room, he stood up, waved her over pointing to the table behind him, pulling out the chair he picked out for her, he made sure that EH sat behind him. While the staff and the crew were getting their food, YC reached for EH's hand and held it tenderly in his own, loving the softness and smoothness of her hand as he brushed his thumb along the back of her hand. EH tried to pull her hand out of YC’s hand but YC held on tightly and gave EH a naughty wink using his eyes to tell her that nobody could see them holding hands. He then whispered in her ear: “How was your filming? Did you keep warm? Did you bring your portable heater, hot packs and extra blankets?” as he asked the last question, YC sneezed. It was EH’s turn to train worried eyes his way and automatically felt for his forehead to check if he had a fever. EH then tenderly scolded him saying: “PYC, you should he worrying about yourself, you are catching a cold! Do you have medicine for your colds? Is this your only jacket? You need a thicker one.” “Ottoke? Wait a moment.” Calling her co-manager over she gave instructions for her to send someone to buy some cold medicine and tissues for YC so that he can drink 1 dose of medicine after dinner. She also told her to ask for a thicker jacket and a blanket from YC’s staff. EH kept a sharp eye on YC making sure that he did not drink any alcohol so that he could drink his cold medicine. YC was soaking up the attention and was enjoying the sight of EH acting like a concerned and loving girlfriend. He loved having EH fuzzing over him.

YC and EH were in their own world, unaware of the approving glances and knowing smiles the other cast members and the production staff were sharing as they saw the ‘romance’ being unconsciously revealed by the two nicest people in the industry. Every single person in that room who saw them together sent a fervent prayer hoping that YC and EH could really nurture a loving relationship even after the filming of the drama.and resolved to help them protect their blooming relationship in every way they can. They were all rooting for them.