CHAPTER XVI – The 2012 MBC Drama Awards Night – Part 1

Decision - A Turning Point

 

YC was preparing to attend the MBC Drama awards night. He would be travelling alone to the venue; his Mom accompanied by one of his female relatives will be taking another vehicle, but he wished that he could fetch EH and her as they walked the red carpet. “Maybe someday…” YC thought with a deep sigh of longing. “Anyway Jaejoong-hyung will be there too and, as a lark, we are coordinating our arrival so we can walk the red carpet together.” YC whispered under his breath.

YC and JJ were successful in their plan to coordinate their arrival. They arrived in their individual imported luxury cars to the cheers and screams of the fans waiting along the short walk towards the building to walk the red carpet together.  After the red carpet walk they entered the room where the event was to take place and were escorted to their table. As expected, he took note that YEH would be occupying the seat beside him and that SOS would be sharing a table with them and was assigned the seat on the other side of YEH. YC kept turning towards the entrance doors checking to see if EH has arrived, he was anxious that she would be late because of the filming. He was talking to JJ when he felt someone beside him, he looked up and saw SOS, hiding his disappointment, he stood up, bowed and gave SOS a kiss on her cheek. Knowing that YEH might be late and not wanting SOS to sit 1 chair distance away from him with nobody to talk to, he stood up and exchanged YEH and SOS’s seat so that SOS can sit beside him for the time being.

The awards night was just starting when YEH arrived causing a stir with her simple, elegant but y look. She was unique in her covered all over with exquisitely designed orange lace Stella McCartney sleeveless blouse and long skirt with an orange ribbon on her slim waist ensemble from the 2012 Women’s Wear Fall/Winter collection of the line. Her feet were daintily shod in a pair of Jimmy Choo Mantra orange Velvet & silver Leather Strappy Sandals. All the ladies who arrived ahead of her were in black, white, gold or other pastel coloured gowns, EH was the only one in a bold coloured gown. She had minimal make-up on and she had her hair down. EH quietly entered the room, to be met by her manager, who escorted her to her assigned seat. The ceremony had already started so she tried not to disturb her fellow actors who were watching what was happening on stage.

YC, who was still looking out for EH’s arrival, was glad that he was seated when he caught his first look at her. His heart skipped a beat as he caught a breath and stared, making JJ, noticing his stillness, follow his gaze and, himself, do a double-take at his first sight of YEH, in person, after 8 years. Both YC and JJ thought at the same time: “Wow! She looks like a y goddess! Sooo gorgeous!” YC was in a daze and could only smile and nod at YEH as her manager pulled her seat out so that she could comfortably sit down. Mama Park, seated in the audience portion near YEH’s fans, observed and took note of the very interesting reaction of her son to EH’s arrival with a knowing smile on her lips.

The night progressed, the presentation of the fusion of The Moon that Embraces the Sun and I Miss You by Yeo Jin Goo (young HJW of IMY and Crown Prince Lee Hwon of TMTETS), Kim Soo Hyun (young LSY of IMY and young Yoon Bo Kyung [the villain] of TMTETS) and Kim Yoo Jung (young Heo Yeon Woo, Han Ga In’s adult role in TMTETS) had everyone laughing, immensely enjoying their antics on stage. YC and EH were looking at YJG and KSY like proud parents watching their children perform. Clapping the loudest and talking to each other despite the presence of SOS seated between them. SOS just smiled secretly watching the interaction between YC and YEH, who she liked as individual people, saying a silent prayer that the promise of a blooming love she was witnessing in front of her would be able to blossom and grow into a serious relationship. A few minutes after the presentation of the young actors, the award for the MBC Popularity Award was presented and the winners were: Kim Soo Hyun of TMTETS as the most popular actor and Yoon Eun Hye of IMY as the most popular actress. YEH seemed surprise and it took SOS, patting her back and encouraging her, to make her stand up slowly and walk toward the stage. Being the ever gracious person that she was, she made a sign for KSY to make his speech first, before making her own. EH’s skirt was a little long and she had a hard time walking to avoid stepping on the hem of her skirt. YC was caught on camera with a seriously worried look on his face looking towards YEH’s feet as she walked off the stage.

During the break after the first half of the program, SOS, deciding to play cupid, asked YEH to change seats with her saying that the floor in her area seemed uneven and she had a hard time finding a comfortable position for her chair. YEH, worried for SOS, readily agreed and, adjusted the chair looking for and easily finding an even surface to put the chair on. YEH turned to give SOS a curious look that SOS, great actress that she was, readily and easily returned with an innocent look on her face. YEH was now seated at YC’s right.

YC was silently observing SOS and YEH’s ‘musical chairs drama’ and could have kissed SOS for her ingenuity. He knew that, if the people in-charge had a program for the nominees for Best Couple and would be approaching them, YEH will be asked to take her assigned seat before the segment, but this was not a sure thing. SOS must have noticed him stealing glances at YEH and that they were experiencing difficulty having a conversation with her seated between them. With EH now seated beside him, YC looked to where Mama Park and his cousin were seated and noticed that his Mom had her gaze firmly on EH and him. He just shook his head and smiled. A smile that EH noted and immediate asked about saying: “Why the secretive smile YC-shi?” to which YC answered: “Huh, what secretive smile? The light must have been in your eye making you imagine that I was smiling.”

The second part of the awards ceremony starts and YC & YEH are whispering and talking a lot. In fact, YC’s chair is nearer to YEH’s than his best friend JJ. Although they were in one of the tables right in front of the stage, and they could be seen by a lot of actors and fans seated behind them or around their area, YC & EH were interacting naturally and comfortably, without a care in the world. JJ, seated right beside them, was watching them with a dubious expression on his face. He was wondering at the meaning of what he was seeing happening right in front of him since YC did not really have any spare time to tell him or Junsu what was happening with him these days. He was also taken aback by the fact the YC was paying more attention to EH and barely talking with him, but he also found the situation very interesting.

The Hallyu Star of the Year award was announced and YEH was very surprised to hear her name called for a second time that night. She was so shy that she bent her head towards the table; it took SOS patting her arm and YC gently patting her back to encourage her to stand up. Gracious as ever, YEH immediate faced her fellow actors and the fans as soon as she stood up, made a bow towards them before going up the stage to receive her award and give her speech. YC was giving YEH his full attention and was even caught on camera looking like a proud husband as he clapped enthusiastically. YC seemed to be anticipating EH’s return to the table because, as soon as EH stood by her chair, YC looked up at her with a proud smile clapping his hands at her as a private salute. JJ, who was watching YC, also clapped his hand giving EH a congratulatory smile. EH then sat down after bowing to them in gratitude.

The Best Couple award was coming up and the co-hosts approached YC and EH’s table with a clothespin asking them to re-enact JW’s putting the clothespin on SY’s hair. YC asked if he had a script since the previous couple had one. The male co-host answered that YJG and KSH already did it previously [in the fusion TMTETS and IMY presentation]; YC’s attention was not on the co-host though but on EH signing that he was supposed to clip the clothespin on her. YC demonstrates, making sure that his middle finger was under the side of the clothespin near EH’s face so that the plastic clothespin will not touch EH’s soft skin. Then says: “Soo Yeon-ah.” melting the hearts of every female in the room at the love and longing his voice expressed. EH then did the hand movement and said ‘swah’ in front of YC’s face, at the request of the co-hosts. EH then removes the clothespin from her hair and tries to hand it over to the male co-hosts but YC also reaches out for it in the act of taking it from EH to hand it over to the co-host himself. YC & EH shared shy smiles with EH covering her face and bending her head forward as the co-hosts moved to another table.

 

AUTHOR's NOTE:  Had to split the Chapter about the 2012 MBC Drama Awards Night. Part 2 to follow ASAP