Chapter XLIX – A Beautiful, Solemn but Simple Surprise Wedding

Decision - A Turning Point

 

One early morning, around 6am, a month before YC was scheduled to go for his Mandatory Military Service, EH was awakened from a deep and relaxing sleep by an energetic MSM. EH remembered that, miraculously, she had an early night the day before and since her jagiya was out-of-town for work, they had a relatively short video call; which was to her advantage since she had an early morning salon appointment. YEH was scheduled to do a wedding edition layout photo shoot for a magazine but, curiously, she realized that she had not yet received any details about it from her good friend Park Han Byul.

 

EH remembered that, a couple of days ago, she received a frantic phone call from PHB saying that she had a sudden outbreak of rashes on her face and all over her body that made it impossible for her to do this particular photo shoot with Photographer Moke Na Jung (who, in an interview in late 2011, said that YEH is her favorite model [www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kUBFuwB9cY]). PHB was desperately looking around for someone to replace her, who Photographer MNJ would not object to, so HB made the call to request EH to agree to do the photo shoot in her stead. Upon hearing that the photographer would be MNJ, EH readily checked to see her schedule, and finding the day, as well as the next 2 weeks surprisingly free, she readily agreed to do the favor to the grateful relief of her friend, penciled it into her schedule and informed her staff and management team accordingly. EH was wondering about the coming 2 weeks without a schedule but she was not looking a gift horse in the face. Two weeks of being free to do her own thing is two weeks of being able to design for her shop, visit her new café and maybe paint or take photographs. It was a rare phenomenon but she was grateful for it.

 

At a top salon in Seoul, EH asked MSM if she received the instruction for the look that MNJ wanted for the shoot; the salon artist informed her that they have received the instructions directly from the photographer MNJ and was ready whenever she was to execute her instructions. Giving MSM a quizzical look, that MSM just shrugged off, EH took the seat offered to her and curiously waited to see the photographer’s vision.   

 

When the salon artist was done, EH was pleasantly surprised to note that the look photographer MNJ wanted was exactly the same look that she would have chosen for her own wedding. Her hair was in an up-do but with some strands of hair left to fall around her face giving her a cute but elegant hairstyle. She looked as if she had no make-up at all except for a touch of pink blusher, mascara for her lashes, a light shade of eye shadow and a touch of pink but almost lipstick. She was informed that the final touches of her hair with the veil and the head piece will be fixed for her at the site, along with any retouches needed, since the salon artist would also be travelling to the site. 

 

Entering her van to proceed to the site, EH asked MSM where the location of the photo shoot was and if she knew who her supposed ‘groom’ for the day was. EH was pleasantly surprised to know that it was the church used in the drama “Missing You’s” Episode 21 wedding scene. MSM’s reply regarding her ‘groom’ was pretty vague, though. She said that Miss PHB only said that it was a surprise and that EH would like it. Trusting HB, EH settled down for the trip.

 

Arriving at the church at 9am EH noticed a huge tent set up, in the inner courtyard outside the church, she was impressed to notice a van bringing out tables and chairs as well as a catering van, both with Lotte Hotel’s name and logo on them, near the tent, thinking that a big church or community event must be scheduled for lunch.

 

EH was led to a room at the back of the church which was usually given for the bride’s use as a dressing room/waiting area before the wedding, where photographer MNJ was already busy inspecting the wedding gowns in the clothes’ rack containing several beautiful wedding gowns to choose from. Inside the room EH found 5 beautiful gowns from the renowned *US based Filipino designer Monique Lhuillier’s 2015 Spring-Summer Wedding collection [for images visit this site: https://www.moniquelhuillier.com/collections/tags/wedding/collection/spring-summer-2015/content].

The first gown was a Silk White Deep Sweetheart Illusion Neckline Lace Hi-Low Gown with Key Hole Back [Middle gown on the top row]; the second was an Ivory Long-sleeved Embellished Column Gown with Front Slit and Tulle overskirt [4th from the left on the top row]; the third was an Ivory Illusion Neckline Lace Gown with Beaded Appliqued Lace Overlay and Tulle Embellished Overskirt [1st from left on 2nd row]; the fourth was a Silk White Illusion Long Sleeved Chantilly Lace with Embroidered Overlay and Tulle Embellished Overskirt [2nd from left on second row] and the last was a Silk White Embellished Chantilly Lace Strapless Drop Waist Gown with Cascading Tulle skirt [4th from left on the last row].* There was also a collection of y High Heeled White and Ivory High-heeled Jimmy Choo shoes for each gown with opened toe, peek-a-boo toe and closed-toe. Curiously, EH noticed that there was only one long veil with a diamond encrusted platinum tiara to hold it in place, laid out as a head ornament for all 5 gowns as well as only one breathtakingly beautiful wedding bouquet which was a clutch is a romantic bounty of majolica roses, hydrangeas, and dinner-plate dahlias in her favorite colors of light pink, lavander and white.

 

Photographer MNJ gave EH a hug and a kiss on the cheek before telling her to choose the gown and shoes that she liked the best from the collection and change into it immediately so they could start taking solo pictures of the bride first, since the groom is not yet scheduled to arrive. They will be taking pictures outside the church using the picturesque scene as a backdrop.

 

After taking a few pictures, MNJ called for a break and told EH to go back to the waiting room for a re-touch. As she was walking towards the waiting room, EH could not understand why she was picking-up a vibe of anticipation and expectancy from MNJ and the photographer’s staff.

 

EH suddenly stopped and stood unmoving by the door of the waiting room in shock, inside the room was her jagiya, Yoo Chun dressed all in white with a pink bow tie to match the pink hyacinth (a hyacinth signifies the constancy of love) as a boutonniere attached to the small loop behind the top buttonhole of his tuxedo jacket to secure the stem. Recovering from her shock, EH accepted YC’s hand as he gave her a tight hug and led her to the sofa provided in the room.

EH: “So this is the reason why I could sense a vibe of anticipation and expectancy on my way back here after the solo shots. Except for me, everyone knew that you were the groom to my bride for this photo shoot.  Why did you not tell me that you were doing a wedding photo shoot with HB-shi?”

YC laughing: “Ae-in, I did not tell you because this is not exactly just a photo shoot.” Turning serious, YC continued: “Remember that a month and a half ago, we had a really serious discussion about getting married before I entered MMS?” EH: “Uhmm…yes, I do. I remember saying that I would not mind getting married if only we had enough time to arrange it, but…” Wide-eyed, EH takes in YC’s naughty grin and almost in a shriek continues: “You didn’t!?!...You did?!?...”

Seeing YC’s nod, EH could only stare speechlessly at YC who said: “If you were really serious when you said that, then let’s do it, let’s get married today in this church that has so much meaning to us.”

EH: “Bu…bu…but, what about our families? Our really, really close friends? What about the minister to perform the ceremony? Would the Catholic priests here allow us to use their church for a Christian Wedding? It will be a Christian wedding, right?”

YC: “Our families and the important people in both our lives are all waiting nearby for a sign that the wedding will push through today. If not, we will still have a celebration, we can’t waste the food prepared in the tent outside, and just have a wedding picture photo shoot that we can make into a coffee table book for our personal album and a music video to give out to our friends.” “Jadu’s husband is on standby to perform the wedding and, as long as a priest will co-celebrate the wedding, they have no objections to us having our wedding here. What do you say ae-in? Will this be a real wedding or just a photo shoot? The choice is all yours.”

EH: “Are you sure this is really what you want, jagiya? You can’t change your mind after this. I’m telling you right now, our marriage will be for keeps.”

YC: “Ae-in, I wouldn’t have asked you to marry me if I wasn’t sure from that very moment that you were THE ONE for me.”

EH: “Let’s do it!!! Let’s get married!!! But you have to tell me how you pulled this off later, promise?”

YC: “Of course, your wish is my command…Yeobo.”

YC leaned forward to give EH a sweet, gentle but passionate kiss before he walked to the door and yells: “She said YES!!! It’s a go!!!”

Turning to EH, YC says: “I have to go since I need to finalize everything, but, make no mistake we are getting married within the next hour or so. Relax and enjoy your last moments as a single lady. BTW, your matrons of honor and bridesmaids will be here by 10 minutes, so you won’t be lonely. Meet you very soon at the altar!”

 

Still happily dazed, EH soon had Mama Park and Mommy Yoon visiting with her inside the bridal room. Soon, her friends Jadu, dressed as one of her matrons of honor in a violet gown, and Son Ye Jin came in, swiftly followed by her Baby V.O.X. group members, Kim E-Z, dressed as the other matron of honor in an old rose gown, Kim Mi Youn, a bridesmaid in a Baby Pink gown, Lee Hee Jin, a bridesmaid in a plum colored gown and Shim Eun Jin, also a bridesmaid in a Pale Violet-Red gown. As soon as the entourage arrived, Mama Park and Mommy Yoon left to greet the close family members they invited to the wedding.

 

Soon the ladies were joined by YEH’s ‘My Black Mini Dress’ Cast members Park Han Byul [who received a pinch in the upper arm then a tight hug from YEH], Yoo In Na and Cha Ye Ryun as well as some other close friends both from in and out of the industry as well as female relatives on both the Park and Yoon sides.

 

On YC’s side, JJ and JS were his best men; with Boom, Oh Jung Se and Lee Tae Sung as groomsmen. A few more of YC’s celebrity friends were in attendance. The wedding party was composed of around 70 to 75 people including the bride and groom, their personal staff and the photographer and her staff. All the attendees were asked to keep this wedding a secret as YC and EH planned to have a bigger and more ‘public’ wedding after YC’s MMS.

 

As soon as Daddy Yoon entered that bride’s waiting room all the guest and entourage members left the room to take their places as well as give the father and daughter some time alone.

Daddy Yoon embraces EH saying: “My dear, dear daughter, thank you for being such a good daughter to your Mom and me for over 30 years. I wish you all the happiness in the world in this new life journey you are embarking on as a wife to YC and soon as a mother to your children. I can see that YC is a good man. I am thankful to God for sending him to you as a life partner.”

Teary-eyed EH answers: “Appa, thank you for loving me so unconditionally. Thank you for the example of a good, stable and happy marriage that you have given me. Both YC and I will work hard to keep our marriage intact. I will always be your loving daughter. I love you, appa!”

Daddy Yoon, wiping the tears from EH’s cheek: “Aigoo, why did you cry? Now you need to have your make-up retouched. Have the salon stylist fix your veil and tiara, let’s get this wedding started, your YC is waiting impatiently at the altar.”

 

The starting strains of the Canon in D (Pachelbel) had the guest turning in their seats to look toward the back of the church to see the entourage slowly enter the church to walk up the aisle towards the altar with the bridesmaids and the groomsmen entering together slowly followed by the matrons of honor who were met by the best men at the altar. With the entourage occupying their places in the front pews of the church, the church doors were closed to allow the bride a grand entrance. As soon as the church doors opened, YC’s voice could be heard singing the Carpenter’s song ‘You’, as EH walked up the aisle on the arm of Daddy Yoon:

 

YOU

(Songwriter:  Randy Edelman)

 

You are the one who makes me happy,

When everything else turns to grey.

Yours is the voice that wakes me mornings,

And sends me out into the day.

You are the crowd that sits quietly

List’ning to me,

And all the mad sense I make.

You are one of the few things worth remembering.

And since it’s all true,

How could anyone mean more to me, than you.

 

Sorry if sometimes I look past you,

There’s no one beyond your eyes.

Inside my head the wheels are turning

And sometimes I’m not so wise.

You are my heart and my soul my inspiration

Just like the old love song goes.

You are one of the few things worth remembering

And since it’s all true,

How can anyone mean more to me, than you.

 

You are my heart and my soul my inspiration

Just like the old love song goes.

You are one of the few things worth remembering

And since it’s all true,

How can anyone mean more to me, than you.

 

At this romantic gesture from the groom, none of the ladies inside the church could help but shed tears of happiness on EH’s behalf. Here was a man who truly loved his bride and was not ashamed to show it. YEH was smiling though her tears of joy and wiping her tears with the white handkerchief her father gave her. Her jagiya was so handsome and dashing in his tuxedo.

 

YC was holding back his own tears of joy at the sight of his beautiful and y EH walking up the aisle, finally his ae-in would soon be his wife and they would start building an awesome future together as husband and wife and, hopefully soon, also as parents. YC could not stop himself from pulling EH toward him for a tight embrace, as soon as Daddy Yoon placed her hand in his, which EH reciprocated. After their embrace they smiled at their guests then turned to take their places in front of the altar to face the pastor and the priest for the start of the wedding ceremony.

 

YC’s wedding vow to EH:

I promise to encourage your compassion,
Because that is what makes you unique and wonderful.
I promise to nurture your dreams,
Because through them your soul shines.
I promise to help shoulder your challenges,
For there is nothing we cannot face if we stand together.
I promise to be your partner in all things,
Not possessing you, but working with you as a part of the whole.
Lastly, I promise to you perfect love and perfect trust,
For one lifetime with you could never be enough.
This is my sacred vow to you, my equal in all things.

Because of you, I laugh, I smile, I dare to dream again.

I look forward with great joy to spending the rest of my life with you,

Caring for you, nurturing you, being there for you in all life has in store for us,

And I vow to be true and faithful for as long as we both shall live and beyond.

 

EH’s wedding vow to YC:

I take you to be my constant friend, my faithful partner and my love.

In the presence of God, our family and friends, I offer you my vow:

I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness

And to have the patience that love demands.

To speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not.

To live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.

To be your faithful and devoted partner,

Loving you truly through good times and bad.

I give you my hand, my heart and my promise to love you unconditionally.

I vow to support you in your goals,

Honor, respect and cherish you as long as we both shall live.

 

More happy tears were shed by both the bride and groom, as well as most of the guests, both male and female, as YC and EH exchanged the vows they had written themselves. After saying these vows and exchanging wedding bands, the minister pronounced YC and EH husband wife and the priest gave them a blessing.

 

When the priest announced: “You may now kiss your bride.” YC slowly lifted EH veil with a sweet and loving smile on his face and gave her a deep but gentle kiss to the applause and cheers of their guest. After a brief photo session in front of the altar with family and the entourage, the wedding party exited the church to walk toward the now air-conditioned closed tent in the courtyard of the church for the small reception that YC arranged.

 

During the reception, JYJ’s JJ and Junsu, Baby V.O.X.’s Kim E-Z, Lee Hee Jin, Kim Mi Youn and Shim Eun Jin and Jadu sang for the couple. Daddy Yoon’s speech for the couple: “Your wedding day is one that seems to fly so fast. It’s a day filled with emotion, friends, rings and dances. Many people remember how fleeting their wedding day was. So I want you to take a few seconds to look into each other’s eyes. Think about the happiness you’re feeling in this place, in this moment. Now I want you to think about your life together in twenty years. Where are you? What are you doing? We all know that your vision of the future are not identical, but always complimentary. John Lennon was said, “A dream you dream alone is only a dream, a dream you dream together THAT is REALITY.” and, my dear children, THAT REALITY starts now. Welcome to the family YC! Cheers!”

 

After the speeches and the bouquet throw that, PHB caught to everyone’s delight and HB’s blushes, YC and EH left their wedding reception for the home, near the one he bought for Mama Park, that YC purchased as a surprise wedding gift to EH and where YC planned for them to start their married life as a couple. They would be leaving their new home the next morning for their flight on their 2-week European honeymoon.

 

*Author's Note:  

1. Aside from the fact that Ms. Monique Lhuillier is a Filipino and being Filipino myself, I simply love Ms. Monique Lhiuller’s designs, hence the choice of using her designs for the Wedding gowns. The descriptions of the gowns were copied from the site. Oh, in the choice of which gowns, each of my 3 daughters chose 1 gown and I chose 2.

2. Wedding vows and Daddy Yoon’s Speech from http://www.pinterest.com

3.  To see color of the matrons of honor and bridesmaids gowns you can find it in this link:  http://html-color-codes.info/color-names/