Chapter XLIV – A Simple Birthday Surprise

Decision - A Turning Point

 

Following their engagement, YC shared his happy news, first to his JYJ family, JaeJoong and Junsu, his manager and staff members, then C-Jes management; being totally honest with them and essaying his immediate and future plans with regard to his personal life.

 

EH on her part shared her news with her Baby Vox unnies, Jadu unnie, and her other really close and long time friends who she knew were hoping that she had found that special someone who would be her life-long partner in YC. She then met up with her The House Company management staff then met with her lawyers to ensure that all her contracts were secure even if she was to make a relationship announcement in the future. She had to know that her career was secure and that her loved ones, most especially YC would be protected. She knew that YC never liked the need of keeping their relationship a secret and she felt that she owed it to YC to give him the green light to reveal their relationship as soon as possible.

 

YC and EH continued to work hard on their professional/career obligations but worked even harder in keeping their lines of communication open. This time, because of YC’s hectic schedule, EH made sure that whenever YC had free time from his activities she was always available so that they could meet and spend quality time together. EH knew that YC, with the guidance and help of C-Jes, wanted to really establish himself as a talented, reliable and professional actor and singer before JYJ entered their Military Service because this would ensure that it will be easier for JYJ, as a band, and YC, as an actor, to make a successful comeback after MS.

 

Speculation on an April Fool’s Day (April 1) ‘news’ that YC plans on getting married this year, JaeJoong in 3 years and that JunSu was already married had JYJ, as well as their individual fandoms abuzz, especially when it was said that JJ’s plan was not an April Fool’s Day joke but actually a real one.

 

Because YC and EH were really bonding as a couple and trusted in each other implicitly, EH only smiled when she heard that YC said that his Ideal type was ‘Lee Cha Young’, the character that actress So Yi Hyun was playing in YC’s hit drama ‘Three Days’. In fact, EH was actually feeling more guilty than sad because previously, when she was asked about her ideal type in an interview, she chose a real existing person in Gong Yoo oppa as her ideal type, unlike YC who chose an imaginary character in his present drama. EH thought to herself: “Aigoo, I really have a lot to make-up for to my jagiya.”

 

Tragedy struck South Korea on 16 April 2014 when the sea vessel MV Sewol capsized while carrying 476 passengers and crew, mostly secondary school students and their teachers from Danwon High School, en route to Jeju Island from Incheon. Programming in all the major TV stations in Korea was suspended to give way to coverage and updates on the tragedy, including the broadcasting of Yoo Chun’s ‘Three Days’ for that week. YC and YEH, as well as people around the globe could only watch in horror as updates on the incident came in and the gloomy realization that, as the days pass, the prospects of the coast guard, navy and others who were helping in the rescue operations were becoming less and less a hope of rescuing survivors into a hope of retrieving all the bodies still trapped inside the ferry. YC and EH quickly and quietly made a substantial donation for the victims and families of the tragedy anonymously and prayed for them. This was the only concrete thing that they can think of to help.

 

One night, after the final telecast of YC’s highly successful action-drama ‘Three Days’, YC and EH were spending a rare whole free day together in the Yoon family home. Mama Park and YH had just left to go back home but the loving couple decided to spend the night at the Yoon residence. Lying side by side on the king-sized bed in EH’s room, YC’s arms tenderly and lovingly cradling EH with EH’s head comfortably resting on his shoulder, EH said: “Jagiya, aside from the premier night of your upcoming movie “Sea Fog”, do you have any really big events coming up? I really wish I can openly support you and be in attendance at your events.”

YC: “Ae-in-ya, you know that I would like nothing better than to…wait a minute; this is the first time that you are saying something like this to me. Are you actually trying to tell me something without feeling that you are being too forward? Don’t tease me ae-in…are you finally telling me that we can finally reveal our relationship?”

At EH’s shy nod, YC burst into joyful laughter and shouts: “WhooHoo!!! We can finally date openly!!! When can I make the announcement, can I do it tomorrow? Oh, we can’t; our agencies have to meet and come to an agreement as to the best day and way to reveal our relationship. Thank you, ae-in, I really did not like keeping our relationship a secret, I’ve always wanted to proudly claim you as MY Woman, but I needed to protect you first, both personally and professionally. You should not be made to suffer because of loving me.”

EH: ‘Aiya, YC-nie, please don’t make me cry and feel so guilty that you had to force yourself to act so out of your true honest character because of me; but your steadfast love and caring destroyed all my insecurities and has given me the courage to openly want to be beside you in everything; through the ups and downs that life decides to bring our way and to risk my heart again. I do love you more than life itself, jagiya.”

YC: “I will definitely want to make the announcement before “Sea Fog’s” VIP premier so that we can openly go there together as a couple. I’ll meet our CEO and tell him of my decision. He is a very good and understanding person and he does have all his talents happiness at heart. I’ll ask how soon both our management company representatives can meet so that a decision can be made soon okay.”

EH answers with a smile: “Okay, I will tell my people to expect a call from C-Jes then.”

Nestling deeper into YC’s embrace, EH closed her eyes sleepily and fell into a deep and relaxing sleep. YC shook his head as soon as he realized that his ae-in was now fast asleep but stayed beside her for an hour longer savoring the moment and making plans about the immediate future before reluctantly leaving EH’s room and going to BanSuk’s unoccupied room to sleep. YC was thinking that soon, he would not have to leave EH’s bedside anymore. Soon, EH’s beautiful, clear, smooth make-up free face would be the last thing he will see before he falls asleep every night and the first thing he will see when he wakes up every morning. “What a wonderful sight to wake up to and end the day with!” YC thought to himself.

 

On the day of YC’s 29th (in Korean Age) birthday, EH prepared a surprise for YC with Mama Park as her co-conspirator. Although they spent the eve of YC’s birthday quietly in EH’s home, EH pleaded a long, tiring day of work and the beginnings of a headache as an excuse to send YC home early so that she can prepare the birthday cake she was planning to bake for YC and bring to his home early the next morning on his birthday. EH also asked permission from Mama Park to be allowed to prepare Seaweed Soup as well as the family breakfast on that day, Mama Park gladly gave her permission and was planning to help EH in her preparation, buying the ingredients EH would need for the meal so that all EH had to do was to bring the cake she prepared the night before.

A smiling Mama Park opened the door of the Park family home at 5:30 am of 02 June 2014 to an equally smiling EH. After their quite but loving greeting, EH entered the kitchen and started preparations of the Seaweed Soup and the meal. Lighting up the candles on the cake at 7:00 am, Mama Park and EH first stopped by YH’s room for Mama Park to wake him up so that he can be included in the surprise then proceeded to YC’s room. Reassured that YC was still sleeping and seem to be having a happy dream, if his smiling face was anything to go by, they entered the room softly singing “Saeng Il Chuka Ham Ni Da!” Seeing that YC remained sleeping even after they reached his bed, Mama Park removed the  lighted birthday cake from EH's hand and passed it on to YH as she gave EH a gentle push towards YC’s bed whispering that EH should give YC a kiss on the cheek to wake him up. Embarrassed but also emboldened by Mama Park’s missive, EH sits on the side of the bed and bends forward to kiss YC’s, rosy from sleep, cheek. YC’s smile broadens and says: “Ae-in-ah, saranghaeyo.” Making EH turn beet-red with shyness and embarrassment but brings equally happy smiles to Mama Park and YH faces. Suddenly, EH feels herself being pulled forward as YC accurately lands a gentle kiss on her lips even while he is still half asleep. Caught unawares, EH kisses him back for just a second before she remembers Mama Park’s and YH’s presence and gently pulls herself away from YC and punches his chest gently making YC suddenly open his eyes in full wakefulness. YC: “Ae-in, I was dreaming about you!!! Are you really here in my room?” as he reaches out to pinch EH’s cheek.

EH: “Ouch!!! Jagiya, I am really here and so is Eomeonim and YH.”

YC: “Huh?!? What are you doing here?”

Mama Park: “Aigoo, my elder son, we are here to participate in the surprise uri EH prepared for you and be the first ones to greet you on your birthday.”

YC amazed answered: “Really!!! The most important people in my life all in one room to greet me!!! Daebak!!! What a wonderful way to start my day!!!”

YH: “Hey hyung, why don’t you start by blowing out the candles on this beautiful cake that EH noona baked and decorated before all the candles melt on the frosting? I’d like to taste the cake, sans the melted wax from the candles, it looks really yummy!”

Mama Park: “Yes, do it quickly Chunnie then you can have the Seaweed Soup that uri EH made especially for you and we can all partake of the birthday breakfast she prepared. Then you can have some private time alone together here before you both need to leave for whatever schedules you have to attend to.”

YC made quick work of blowing out the candles on his home-made cake and having a group hug with Mama Park, EH and YH. YC felt that this was a start of many happy celebrations that would now include EH as a part of his loving family.

After an enjoyable, companionable and relaxing breakfast, Mama Park and YH discreetly left YC and EH stretched out on the Park home living room sofa, EH was lying on her right side facing YC with her head cradled on YC’s chest and her left hand on his chest while YC was lying flat on his back with a cushion as a pillow and his right hand entwined with EH’s.

EH: “Happy birthday, jagiya! Did you like my simple surprise? Eomeonim was a lot of help. I am just happy that she has accepted me so openly and is so good to me and my family.”

YC: “I am always happy to spend time with you and I love your surprise. You are always feeding me. Are you fattening me up?”

EH: “Of course not, but I want you healthy. When you start your Mandatory Military Service boot camp training on the first month, you will need to be in the peak of health so you won’t get sick or hurt.”

YC: “Aigoo, ae-in that is still a few months away.”

EH: “I know, that is why you need to start taking care of your health now so that by the time you enter MS you will be in  tip-top  form. Arasso?”

YC: “Okay, ae-in I will take care my heath.”

EH: “Jagiya, I heard from my Manager that C-Jes has already figured out a good time for us to make our announcement. Have you heard from them, about this? I was told that they would consult you first before giving us the details.”

YC: “I heard about that too and we have scheduled the meeting for this coming weekend, they said that they want to have the details ironed out first before they talked to me, then to The House. I think they also want to talk to the both of us personally. What do you think?”

EH: “As I told you earlier, everything is fine on my end. I will take my cue from you. You are the one making the announcement after all. Whatever C-Jes and The House agree on, I will act on. More importantly, whatever YOU decide I will back-up 100%.”

YC: “Okay then, I will ask C-Jes if they would like to meet us together on the weekend before they formally lay their plans with The House Company. I know my CEO would love to meet you personally.”

EH: “I’m okay with that, just tell me when and where. I’ll meet you there. Opps, it’s getting late, I need to go I have a photo shoot scheduled for today.” Giving YC a lingering kiss on his lips, EH crossed over YC’s body to stand beside the sofa.

YC: “I wish you did not have to leave and we can openly celebrate my birthday together.”

EH: “I know how you feel, jagiya, we just need to be a little more patient. Soon we can openly date and celebrate our special moments together. We no longer have to keep our relationship a secret, I love you.” EH bends forward to give YC one more kiss before she quickly strides to the door after respectfully saying her goodbyes to Mama Park.