Chaper VII - Realizations and Deepening Emotions

Decision - A Turning Point

 

Unaware that they made a common decision the night before, Park Yoo Chun and Yoon Eun Hye reported for every filming day, after the Fan Meet, with an extra bounce in their steps, a similar twinkle in their eyes, a glow on their faces and an aura of happiness and joy enfolding them. Their individual staff members noticed the brightness in the faces of their ‘boss’ and started to individually speculate on the possible cause of the positive vibe their bosses were emitting. PYC’s staff smiled at each other as they all came up with the same correct conclusion – YEH; YEH’s staff, without a shadow of a doubt, nodded at each other and silently mouthed the name PYC at each other as they hid their smiles.

With their mutual decision in mind both YC and EH resolved to take each day one at a time; they realized that their time filming ‘MY’ was an unlooked for moment in a world outside the realm of the world they normally lived it. Here, things could happen, opportunities and possibilities could exist that never would exist, could not exist in their normal worlds. Fleeting or not, they both felt that the moment was worth exploring.

In the days following the Fan Meet, it was noticeable that both PYC and YEH were always early in the MBC waiting room for their discussion with PD-nim, regarding the scenes to be filmed for the day, before they either proceeded to their individual filming site or meet again at a common filming site. During the times they are in the waiting room, with only their staff in the room with them, YC and EH could be found talking about a myriad of topics; like family, values, personal dreams and dreams for their family members, mutual friends and acquaintances, future plans…they never seem to lack things to talk about; deepening their personal knowledge of each other and liking what they discover about their common beliefs and thoughts. They could be observed smiling and laughing as they shared life experiences along with a mug each of YC’s favourite Hot Chocolate and joke around while passing cookies and pastries or snacks, that EH brought with her, to each other. They were in a world of their own, safe and secure in the presence of their loyal staff and equally confident in the loyalty of the production staff. The atmosphere that the PD-nim, the production staff and their other co-actors would pick-up as soon as they entered the room is that of a home; cosy, warm and welcoming.

The week for the filming for episodes 11 and 12 started; YC and EH filmed more scenes together. Both felt, having several dramas under their belts, a Kiss scene would be coming up pretty soon; it was just a matter of time and the screen writer’s vision. The possibility of the Kissing scene was not far from their thoughts but they both pushed it to the back of their minds to concentrate on the immediate scenes they needed to film.

They were filming the hospital scene of episode 11 and the PD-nim wanted the scene with PYC, YEH and OJS to be a comedic one, the one ray of light in a pretty emotional 2 episodes for the week. So far, YC and EH with the able help of the production crew, their staff and their cautiousness, had a dating-rumour-free drama filming and YC was happy to keep it that way, not so much for himself but to protect and safeguard EH as he promised. He may not like the fact that YEH was being ‘formal’ and ‘professional’ with him most of that day, their being in a public place, but he understood the need. He was only thankful that YEH would easily revert to her ‘normal’ self with him when they were inside the hospital room or the room provided for them to rest while waiting for the next scene setup, safe from preying and inquisitive eyes. YEH, on her part, was finding it hard to ‘pull back’ from the natural way she now acts whenever YC was within her immediate vicinity when they were filming together in a public outdoor site. She realized that no matter how hard she tries to blame her fast developing deep closeness with YC to her emersion in her role of LSY, the naughty YEH in her ear kept on insisting that she listen to her heart instead of her head. This day both YC and EH realized that, despite being award-winning actors, it was extremely difficult to act contrary to their real feelings, to the promptings of their heart.

YEH woke up feeling under the weather and with a slight cold. The night before, or rather until early morning, YC and she were filming the ending scene of episode 11 and the expanded version on the opening scene of episode 12, in extreme sub-zero temperature in thin clothing. She had another full day of filming ahead of her and she did not want to cause any delay and to worry the production team but, most especially, she did not want to burden YC for she knew that he had more of a hectic schedule than she did. She asked for some medicine and took it with a glass of water then she bathed and prepared to meet YC and the PD-nim in the MBC waiting room.

YC was waiting restlessly for YEH to arrive, he was worried because YEH was usually the one to arrive before him. She was usually engrossed in her script by the time he arrived and she always had a warm smile to greet him. Today she was ‘late’ and he had a feeling that their filming in sub-zero temperature until the early hours of the morning may have taken its toll on her health. The door to the waiting room opened and he gave a sigh of relief when he saw EH’s manager enter the room but he suddenly held his breath upon seeing the look on his face. EH entered the room with her usual warm smile on her face but she looked as fragile as spun glass. YC released the breath he was holding and tried to calm his roiling emotions and not show EH how worried he really was because he knew that EH hated being the center of attention. He knew her well enough to know that YEH’s hallmark was her quiet and self-effacing giving. He barely stopped himself from going to her with one of his thick blankets, enfolding her tightly in his arms to share his warmth and carrying her to the comfortable armchair she usually occupies and sitting her on his lap. Instead, he forced himself to stay where he was and return her warm smile with one of his own. He asked one of his staff members to prepare their usual mug of hot chocolate. Hearing EH trying to cover up her sniffles, YC discreetly placed a box of tissue beside her, inviting her to use it as a napkin for the cookies and pastries that her staff were setting on the table.  

YC kept a discreet eye on EH the whole time, noticing that EH would be quietly blowing her nose with her back to them, he was seated across from her so was too far to help her, but he took a couple of small packs of tissue and placed them in his coat/jacket pocket so it would be readily available when they started their filming. He would secretly hand EH a piece of tissue whenever he heard her sniffle, even a little bit, and give her a caring smile which EH always warmly returned. YC saw how caring the production staff was toward EH as they too tried their best to make her comfortable without making her realize that they were all worried for her. He was most thankful to the sound director who cheered her up with an artfully decorated paper cup because he knew his artistic EH would appreciate it. ”Huh!” YC thought to himself, “When did I start thinking of EH as ‘my EH’?” In a light-bulb moment YC realized and admitted to himself that somehow, again, without him being conscious about it, his instinct had identified YEH as being ‘his’.

A couple of days later, YC and EH received the script for the day’s filming, which they anticipated would be the ending scene/s of episode 12, from their managers. Scanning the script, as is their usual practise, to get the gist of the movement of the script, both YC and EH’s footsteps falter at the exact same time when they read the part of the script marked ‘Kiss Scene’. Both come to an abrupt halt at their respective homes. Both felt their hearts leap nonsensically and their breath caught in their throats, they seemed to be hyperventilating. Abruptly sitting down on the nearest flat surface available, PC and EH exerted their efforts in gathering their poise. Yes, they were expecting a Kiss Scene but…if they were to believe the script…OMG, this was one for the books.

YC was worried if he could execute it in the way it was described as a ‘heart-breaking, passionate and hungry kiss, packed with 14 years of unfulfilled love and extreme longing’, by the script writer. He knew that EH, per her own admission never had an NG during a Kiss scene. He also knew that EH is one of the few actresses who kisses back during a kiss scene; she would allow the male lead to take the initiative and she would respond accordingly. YC felt the pressure because this is the first time he will have such an intense and emotional kiss scene and, being the initiator of the kiss as described in the script, he will have to figure out how he will execute it. Honestly, he also had to figure out how he would keep his true emotions under wraps during the kiss scene because he feared that he may not just like EH but that he might just be well on the road to being in love with her.

EH was not worried at the kiss at all, she had absolute confidence in YC’s ability to execute the kiss. Her worry was her growing emotions for YC the actor and not HJW the character. “Will I be able to show LSY’s emotions towards HJW and not YEH’s feelings for PYC? We have avoided dating-rumours so far, will we be able to do so after this?”

As they boarded their respective vans distractedly and deep in thought, they were unaware the big smiles on their individual staff’s faces as they were waiting in anticipation of the fireworks, they were expecting would explode, when they film their Kiss Scene. With conflicting looks on their faces, boss and staff travelled to the MBC waiting room for the discussion with the PD-nim.