Chapter XLII – Blindsided...But Strengthened

Decision - A Turning Point

 

Unbeknowst to YC and EH, soon after their lovely celebration after the night of MHIYD’s wrap up party, they would be blindsided by a malicious rumour that would shake EH’s world. 

 

One late night at the filming site of ‘Sea Fog’, YC was worriedly waiting for EH’s goodnight SMS, which was long overdue. He had already sent around 4 SMS’ to EH but had received no reply. He still did not have time to try to call her since he was in the middle of filming but his mobile phone was with his Coordinator and he gave her instructions to hand him the phone on the first break after EH’s SMS comes through. If no SMS comes through by the next filming break, he planned to call EH.

 

Meanwhile MSM, EH’s friend and Asst. Manager, sent an urgent SMS to YC’s manager giving a link for him to check out ASAP adding that EH has turned off her mobile phone after speaking to her parents as well as to Mama Park but did not make a call to YC knowing that he was busy filming. She has since been in her room and that has been around late afternoon.

 

YC’s manager immediate checked out the link and was stunned by the rumours and some of the malicious comments in it. Knowing Miss YEH, he was sure that this issue was pure speculation and totally FALSE. Knowing also that as soon as YC found out about this, YC would slowly go crazy if he could not go to Miss YEH’s side immediately, he quietly approached Sim Sung Bo, the movie director and the production team asking if they can film the scenes that did not need YC first, trying to arrange at least one emergency day off so that YC could go home. Satisfied with the arrangements he made, he was walking towards YC to give him the news when he saw him frowning at his mobile phone and knew that YC had already made a call to his ae-in but had his call forwarded to voice mail, which never ever happened before.  Trying to calm his features so as not to worry YC more, he took a deep calming breath and approached YC and said: “YC-ah, why don’t we go to your quarters? Sim Sung Bo-shi said that you are done filming for the day so can now be excused and even take a couple of days off since they will be filming some other scenes where you will not be needed.”

Puzzled, YC looks at his manager and said: “Hyung, I thought I did not have a break until next week. Why the sudden change of schedule? Is there a problem with my work schedule?”

Manager: “I’ll tell you as soon as we reach the privacy of your quarters.”; this statement made YC give his manager a strange look but was distracted by his worry about EH’s not sending her usual SMS and not answering his calls.

As soon as YC was seated in a chair in his quarters, his manager quietly hands him the Samsung tablet that was opened with the link MSM asked him to search saying: “YC-ah, I think Miss YEH needs you right now. We are ready to leave at your say so.” He saw YC’s shock turn into growing anger as he read the rumour then to deep concern and worry as he scrolled down to the comments. Manager: “MSM sent me an SMS about this link and said that as soon as Miss YEH talked to her parents and your Mom, YEH turned off her mobile phone and entered her room and has been there since. We just need to leave calmly so as not to call attention to our unscheduled departure.” YC immediately stood up without comment and composed himself, bringing up a smile then respectfully bowing to co-stars and production crew and staff and generally acting as if nothing was amiss as they left the filming site.

 

On the way to EH's home in his van, YC, still unable to contact EH using her mobile number, put in a call to MSM to check on how EH was taking the rumours. YC was feeling so helpless and frustrated because he was not by EH’s side when the rumour broke out but felt a bit reassured when MSM told him: "The rumour blindsided us as well, which was the main reason YEH was very troubled. It was so unexpected that some people would float her name, as well as that of the other celebrities named in the site, in connection with such a rumour. She did not expect that there would be people who thought she was capable of doing such a thing. She was also shocked and shaken by the comments of the netizens who joined the band wagon." YC was also getting angry at how people, who did not even know YEH one iota, can make such malicious and disparaging comments about her. YC knew that he had to will himself to be calm. He would be of no use to his ae-in if he gave off any kind of negative vibe.

 

YC was deep in thought when he felt his mobile phone vibrate and was surprised but thankful to see his ae-in’s name in the caller ID. Taking a deep calming breath he answered the call: “Ae-in ah, I miss you so much. Are you at home? How are you?”

YEH in a soft quivering voice: “I miss you too, jagiya. I’m home. How was your day of filming? I’m sorry for calling you so late. I just wanted to hear your voice.”

YC knowing that his ae-in was trying her best to make it seem that nothing was wrong so as not to worry him, gently answered: “Ae-in ah, I know about the rumour, I’m on my way home to be with you right now. I’ll be there soon. Wait for me, okay?”

YEH, touched by YC’s concern and caring, was valiantly trying to hold her tears in but failed miserably, as with a crack in her voice she answered: “Oh jagiya, you always seem to know when I need you! I did not want to worry you while you were busy filming, but I cannot deny that I am relieved and happy that you are on your way here. I will wait for you. Be safe. I love you.”

YC: “Aiya, ae-in, didn’t I say that I will always be there for you. You should have called me immediately no matter what. I need to convince you of this. I love you more, ae-in. See you soon.” YC disconnected the call and leaned forward to ask his driver to please drive a bit faster.

 

YC was met by a relieved MSM as soon as he entered EH’s home. Stopping only to give MSM a reassuring smile and pat on the shoulder, he was surprised when he saw the door of EH’s bedroom open and saw his princess make a bee-line to him. Immediately opening his arms, he gathered EH in his tight and comforting embrace soothingly saying: “Princess, we’ll get through this together. This will pass soon because we both know this is a totally ridiculous and false rumour. Nobody who knows you or matters to us will believe it. I saw the comments in the link and I am furious with those judgemental comments but we will fight back.” Peeking at YEH’s face, YC emphatically asked: “You will act on this won’t you ae-in, you can’t let this slide because these people will never learn and continue to hurt other celebrities if you don’t. I know you prefer to forgive but, please, not this time. This is too much, these people have crossed the line and gone overboard!” YEH looked into YC’s eyes are realized the truth in what he said and nodded her head with a watery smile. YC hugged her tightly again and added: “I am sure that your people can handle this but if you need any help, my own legal team and I will be available 24/7 until we resolve this issue.”

YEH, struggling to keep her tears in check, reaches out her right hand and touches YC’s left cheek and giving her most brilliant smile says: “Thank you so much jagiya for coming as soon as you knew about the rumour. I feel stronger now knowing that you are with me in this, I must have saved several countries in my previous life to be receiving so much love and caring from you.” Saying this, she gives YC a tight hug and a kiss on his cheek.

YC suddenly moves to carry YEH in his arms and walks toward her room to lay her on her bed saying: “Ae-in, why don’t you lie down on your bed and relax for a bit. I’ll bring in some fresh fruits for us to snack on as we catch up and update each other on what has been happening in our individual schedules and other activities away from each other. I’ll be right back. Rest okay and release your stress. The burden is no longer yours alone to bear. I’ll always be here to help you carry your burdens.”

 

YC returned to the room to see EH sitting up in the middle of her bed leaning on the bed’s headboard. He happily noticed that, as soon as EH sees him, she moves aside to give him enough room to settle beside her on the bed. Handing the tray of snacks to EH, he takes his place beside EH, also sitting with his back leaning on the headboard, putting his arms around her shoulders and pulling her toward him to allow her to rest her head on his shoulder. Knowing that his ae-in needed to relax, YC started telling EH about his day and other activities during the week in his soft, deep and y voice, telling her some funny anecdotes that make her either smile or even laugh along with him. YC was relieved when he felt EH slowly letting go of her tension and start to relax.

 

EH, on her part, started to open up to YC, now truly realizing that her jagiya will always be by her side and stand by her.  EH started by telling YC about her week and how she missed him; then she told him about her day saying: “My day started as a promising one, I was b with ideas and feeling reasonably happy. It was a good thing that I did not have a photo-shoot or CF scheduled and was at the 84 over e store making the bracelets and doing some designing. I mean, I read about the prosecutor’s office investing a case of celebrities involved in a ion ring but never ever expected to see my name, along with the other celebrities named with me, being associated with this piece of news. I mean, what reason would we have to do it? We were making a good living in our respective fields none of us needed to e ourselves to earn more. I mean, it’s true that I was involved in dating rumours with some of my drama co-leads, but they all died down after the drama. I never had a reputation of being promiscuous and I have always been private and discreet with my charity work. I got a shock when my friend and partner, Kim Yoo Jin, suddenly approached me looking pretty upset, bringing her laptop to show me the link with the rumour. I started shaking after I read it. I felt so insulted and helpless, especially reading the comments of some of the people in the site. They don’t know me at all and yet they say such awful and hurtful things about me. I guess MSM saw the rumour too because, after a couple of seconds, she also came running up the stairs and with one look at me shaking in my seat, she called up my driver and bundled me up and made preparations for us to leave the store for home. As soon as I got home, I first call my parents to tell them about the rumour myself and was reassured when they said they did not believe the rumour and they trusted me so much. I felt the need to call Eomeonim and tell her of the rumour myself but it seems she already heard about it and was about to call me to give her unconditional trust it me and expressed her support for me. Jagiya, I’m so grateful to your Mom for her unwavering and unconditional support. I’m so lucky to have her on my side. I desperately wanted to call you after my call to your Mom but I knew you were filming and did not want to disturb you so I decided to give you a call later tonight. I just quietly entered my room and have been sitting in my room praying for guidance from God and asking the grace to calm myself. Your call coming so unexpectedly seemed to be the answer to my prayers. Although still upset, I truly started to calm down and feel that I will be able to overcome this crisis knowing that you, our families and my really true friends will stand by me. Thank you so much Jagiya.”

YC tightened his arms around EH and said: “Ae-in, I love you very much and I will always stand by you and protect you. You have the support of JJ and JS as well and, because you are important to me, my management, C-Jes, will also be behind you. You’ve been receiving messages from your friends, fans and most of the celebrities you have worked with in the past, all expressing their belief in and support for you. Gather your strength from all of us who care deeply for you. We will get through this together.”

 

They shared their snack in companionable silence smiling, feeding and teasing each other. YC was happy that he was successful on cheering his ae-in up.

 

A few days later, news about C-jes’ giving a statement that YC may have to drop the drama ‘Three Days’ due to scheduling conflicts had EH calling YC as soon as she heard about it. She knew how much her jagiya was looking forward to doing the drama and wanted to encourage him.

 

YC, on his part, did not want to tell EH about this since he knew that she had a more bigger issue to handle, she did not need the extra stress of worrying for him, and because he had already requested his management to fix his schedule so that he can finish filming ‘Sea Fog’ as well act in ‘Three Days’. It seemed that they could come to an agreement since the production company really wanted him as the male lead as much as he wanted to act in the drama.

 

Feeling his mobile phone vibrate, he was pleasantly surprised to see EH’s name in the caller ID. With the usual smile he had on his face whenever he received a call from his ae-in, YC quickly answered EH’s call saying: “Ae-in, we must really have a very telephatic connection, I was just thinking of you and, lo and behold, you call instantly.”

EH: “Jagiya, how are you feeling? I heard about the conflict in schedule that might prevent you from acting in the drama ‘Three Days’. I know how much you want to do it; I hope and pray that the conflict will be resolved soon.”

YC: “Aiya, ae-in, I did not tell you about this because nothing is really final yet and I know you have a bigger issue to think about, you did not need to worry about such a small issue.”

EH: “Jagiya, you always encourage me to share everything with you, whether small or big concerns. The same should apply to you. You should share everything with me and trust that I will be there for you; supporting you, cheering for you, fighting with you. I feel left out, jagiya.” EH said the last sentence in cute aegyo mode to let YC know that she was not angry.

YC: “Ae-in, I’m sorry. I never wanted to make you feel left out. It’s just that nothing is final yet and we are negotiating with the production and SBS to fix the scheduling conflict. I promise that, from now on and as long as it is within my power, I will tell you personally about everything going on, problems and successes, big or small.” YC wanting to change the topic continued: “Any update or progress regarding the rumour?”

EH: “My staff members in The House Company and my lawyers are taking care of that. We will not let it go easily, that I promise you, but we will do it discreetly, as you advised. I was informed that the prosecutor’s office is about to deny the involvement of the celebrities named in the rumour any day now and soon this rumour will die a natural death. These days I am preparing to sing at Jadu unnie’s wedding. Oh, did I tell you that I agreed to ‘catch’/receive her wedding bouquet?”

YC surprised but happy, teasingly answered: “Chincha, ae-in? You do know the Korean belief regarding the lady who catches the wedding bouquet right? Is this a hint that you are agreeable to us getting married within the year?”

EH was blushing so much after hearing this and answered mocked angrily: “Yah PYC!!! What are you blabbering about? I was not hinting at anything, I was just sharing my day with you! If you keep this up, I will end this telephone conversation.”

YC: “Ae-in, I was just joking. I’d like us to marry as soon as possible, of course, but we already made our plans for our future and we will stick with them.” Seeing a production team member calling him over, YC continued: “Ae-in I am being called to start filming but I will be going home tonight. I’ll call you as soon as I am on my way. See you later ae-in, I love you.”

YC heard EH’s: “I love you too, jagiya. See you later.”; and had a beatific and angelic smile on his face as he approached the filming set making the people around aware that he had undoubtedly just had a conversation with his ‘special someone’.

 

YC, arrived in the city too late, or rather, too early in the morning, did not want to disturb EH’s sleep so he just sent an SMS saying: “Ae-in, it is too late to visit you so I will just go over to your home in the morning to share breakfast with you. I’ll bring the food. You prepare the hot chocolate and the fresh juice. See you later. I don’t know why I am missing you more now that I am about to see you soon but know that I am.  I love you so much ae-in.”

 

This message brought an ecstatic smile on EH face and made her bounce out of bed for her morning ritual and to prepare the hot chocolate and juice as YC requested. It was going to be a beautiful day! YEH sent off a SMS to YC saying: “Up and about and preparing the beverage and drink as requested, come over anytime you are ready. Thank you for starting my day so beautifully with your SMS early this morning. See you soon. I love you.”

 

YC came over with breakfast that morning. The day that started beautifully for YC and EH continued to bring joy to the couple; because that day brought news from the prosecutor’s office issuing a statement irrevocably and clearly saying that the celebreties mentioned in the blog/site were not, and never have been, under investigation in connection with the ion ring or any other on-going investigation with their office. YC also had good news for EH; although it was not yet to be announced, the ‘Three Days’ production team and his management had fixed his filming schedules and he will be able to film the drama. A double celebration was in order!!!