CHAPTER XII – Being Protected by the Production Team

Decision - A Turning Point

 

PYC woke up refreshed and relaxed on the morning of the 17th of December 2012. Although they had no filming until after their scheduled Media Day that morning, he still had to be up and about early to prepare for it. He wanted to look his best for the Media Day. He quickly finished his morning ritual and, seeing his Mom up, he thanked her for the hot chocolate she prepared in his ready-to-go thermo-mug  and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek as he flew out of the door to go to the salon. Mama Park could not help but notice the glow and joyful vibe she sensed from her eldest son and feel happy for him. If YH and her guess was right and in was YEH who was the cause of this good vibe in YC, she really wanted to meet this extraordinary young lady who seemed to have caught her son’s interest so quickly. YH had already informed her that, from what he has heard from industry insiders, YEH is well liked in the industry and judged to be a beauty not only for her physical attributes but more for her generosity and kindness of heart.

YEH woke feeling relaxed but still pretty sleepy, her co-manager, Moon Sang Min had to prod her awake and lead her to the bathroom. YEH came fully awake as soon as she washed her face with cold water. MSM left YEH; as soon as she was sure YEH was wide awake enough to do her morning absolution, to prepare juice for YEH before they had to start preparations for the Media Day. Upon seeing YEH come out of her room, MSM, despite working with YEH for quite a while now, could not help but be awed at how YEH can transform herself from a zombie, upon walking up, to such a beauty, even without make-up, as soon as she steps out of her room ready to face her work day. MSM thought to herself: “If YEH, a woman like herself, could have this effect on me; how much more would her effect be on a red-blooded male like…for example…PYC? Hmmm…I’m going to keep a close eye on these two. I feel that they would be good for each other.”

YEH was escorted to a waiting room at the Yang Joo Munhwaland (Cultural Village), Kyeonggi-do Yang Joo, the venue of the Media Day, and saw PYC and YSH seated facing each other, with a round table between them, having an animated conversation. Although YC’s back was towards the door, he instantly sensed YEH’s presence, which was confirmed by YSH’s instant smile. YC and SH stood up on EH’s approach giving each other a bow and a smile. YC signalled EH to occupy the seat he vacated as he pulled another armchair and set in near her armchair so that they ended up seated on one side of the table facing SH seated on the other side. SH just smiled secretly and amusedly thought to himself: “Aigoo, YC-hyung seems to be sending off a ‘She is mine!’ message to me. Hahaha…I get it YC-hyung loud and clear. EH-noona is yours but she is a sister to me so I hope she doesn’t get hurt. And don’t worry, I’ll keep an eye on her when you are not around, that I can promise you” The three of them spent a pleasant time talking with each other while waiting to be called into the room where the media would be waiting for them.

Only PYC, YEH and YSH were present at the Media Day for “Missing You”; and, as expected, the event was well received. There were several revelations made during the interview such as:

1)    Yoo Seung Ho revealed his feelings towards his acting partner by answering the question, "Who is your favourite actor that you've worked with?", by stating "I like Eun Hye noona the best. She has a cool and carefree personality and I think we are very compatible when we act".

2)    YSH also added his opinion on rise of the ratings by stating, Hyung Joon is also the character that I least understand fully from all of the dramas I've done. But I think the viewers' interest in Harry, who does not show his true image in the drama, has helped with the ratings.

3)    Yoon Eun Hye shared her own thoughts about working with Yoo Seung Ho. She shared, “I haven’t really thought of how young Seung Ho was because he’s such a good actor.” The actress continued, “However, when I saw photos of us together at an awards ceremony, I felt like I was doing something wrong, But if you were just looking at acting, it didn’t really cross my mind that Seung Ho was much younger.””

4)    YEH also revealed that while other dramas had lots of crying scenes towards the end episodes, ‘Missing You’ showcased lots of crying scenes from the beginning due to the reunion. But as an actress, it is definitely a rewarding learning experience. She stated that: "Crying all the time for the past three weeks, I'm completely exhausted at times. But it's definitely a great experience for an actor, and it's an opportunity to advance, mature, and grow.

5)    When asked whether it will be happy or sad ending, Yoo Chun said he doesn't know yet, but it will be nice if it is a sad ending. Yoo Chun also said he felt sorry when watching the aeygo scene with LSY's mom at home with his real mom.

6)     YC also revealed that he did want to appear in variety shows again and added he probably hadn’t been on a variety show since 2008. 
When asked which program he would want to appear in, Park Yoo Chun surprised everyone by selecting SBS’ wilderness survival program The Laws of the Jungle. He explained, “I normally enjoy programs like that. I like pitching tents at three in the morning, getting bitten by mosquitoes, fishing and eating what we catch. It sounds like fun.”

7)    YC also commented that getting #1 in viewership is really something to be happy about. It gave them strength. Staff and actors have a very good relationship while shooting and that they will continue to work hard not to let ratings slip.

8)    If rating can reach 20%, Yoo Chun will donate a lot of rice and tangerines; YEH, on the other hand, said she promised the staff members that she'd take them on vacation to South East Asia or Jeju Island if the ratings reaches 20%.  YSH shyly said that he would join Yoo Chun-hyung in good works.

After the interview session of the Media Day; YSH, YEH and PYC posed for individual and group photos. They all had bright and happy smiles on their faces and they were very comfortable with each other.  It was only as they were leaving the venue to proceed to their filming site that YC and EH realized that no couple photos were taken and no questions were asked about how they felt about working together whereas YEH was asked about working with YSH. It seemed the production staff was efficient in averting any possible dating rumours and were serious about protecting them. PYC and YEH were unaware that in one of the group photos taken; they were caught sharing a sweet smile while looking into each other’s eyes, with only YSH smiling at the photographer. That picture alone had their fans rooting for them all over the world swooning with happiness; the wonder was why no South Korean media agency picked-up on the very revealing photo.

The realization that every single person around them while they were filming ‘Missing You’, meaning, the production team, staff and crew, their co-actors along with their personal staff members, were all one in their willingness and determination to protect them from dating rumours; allowed both PYC and, especially, YEH to be their natural selves around each other and with the production team as well as their co-actors. The atmosphere during filming became more warm and relaxed.

In the days following the Media Day, as they were filming in advance for scenes from episodes 14 onward, YC and EH could be observed freely playing pranks with each other’s personal staff and being caring and affectionate to the rest of the production team and their co-actors. They were unaware of the indulgent looks as well as the approving smiles they were receiving from all the other people around them. The relationship of all the people involved in the drama ‘Missing You’ was no longer just that of co-workers but that of a caring family.

Still unknown to the production team, staff, crew and their co-actors, though, was that whenever they ended the day filming together, YC always followed EH’s van home to make sure that she got home safely. But even better was the fact that, whenever they can trick their personal staff after filming in a ‘safe’ indoor site, YC would always ‘escape’ with EH in tow and steal a few moments together while sharing a ride home in his van with just MSM, EH’s co-manager, YC’s manager and bodyguard for company with the rest of their staff, again, in EH’s van. During these rides home together, whether YC and EH were talking and laughing non-stop or just sharing a companionable silence, they could not stop themselves from imagining that they were a couple on their way home at the end of an enjoyable night out or a hard days work. They did not want to think of the time when filming of the drama will end; right now, it felt as if they were dating every day and they wanted to cherish all the time they could ‘steal’ to be together.