CHAPTER XXII – A Sweet Day On A Cold Winter Morning!

Decision - A Turning Point

 

YEH was slowly surfacing from a sweet and warm dream. She was feeling so relaxed, well rested and very happy. She opened her eyes and did a long stretch with her arms above her head as she took a deep breath. She suddenly realized that she was still wearing her clothes from last night and that what she thought was a dream was actually reality and she smiled dreamily as she recalled YC and her sharing their deep feelings for each other.

MSM was just entering the room to check if YEH was awake and saw her stirring with a smile on her beautiful face. MSM smiled and thought: “Uri EH looks really radiant this morning, even if she just woke up with no make-up on her face. I just wiped her face last night with a soft damp cloth while she slept. She must be really in love and happy to know that she is loved in return.” To EH she said: “Rise and shine EH-shi, we are joining PYC-shi and his staff for breakfast at YC-shi’s strict ord…I mean, request.” Upon hearing this EH got up and went to her bathroom to prepare for the day of filming before joining YC…and of course, his staff, for breakfast.

Meanwhile YC, to the amusement of his staff members, was restlessly pacing the living room of the lodge waiting for EH and her staff to join them. He wanted to see EH’s face to reassure himself that EH knew that what happened last night was real and not a dream. As soon as he heard footsteps coming down the stairs, he stopped pacing, felt his heart pound so fast in his chest and held his breath as he stared at the living room entrance where EH and her entourage will be entering from. His first sight of a shy but smiling EH looking straight at him, made him release his breath in relief. YC, oblivious to the presence of their staff, could not help walking immediately toward EH, take her hands in his and pull her gently into his arms for a tight hug which EH returned. After a few minutes they suddenly became aware of several eyes trained on them and slowly broke away from the embrace to smile shyly at their staff members.

After their shared breakfast, YC and EH started filming scenes outside the lodge. They both knew that they would be filming some lovey-dovey scene and a KISS. YC was so looking forward to this and he already had an idea on how he wanted to execute the KISS scene, he did not plan to discuss it with his EH, he will just tell her to trust him and follow his lead. They started filming in a small marketplace. Using the filming as a cover YC adlibbed and used the camera in this market scene to take a picture of EH and send it to his personal mobile phone which accounted for the mischievously happy smile on his face that was caught onscreen.

Since the weather was really good, the PD-nim decided to film the outdoor lovey-dovey scene and the KISS scene before they took a lunch break, knowing that YC’s fans prepared a hot lunch for them. The filming will take a few hours for the many camera set-ups needed so he estimated that they will make good time and not make the fans wait too long for them.

After a short discussion with the PD-nim, they started filming the scene of YC and EH walking on the long road with the beautiful scenery as a backdrop. Since they both knew it was to be a long shot, they were just told to act like sweethearts on a stroll but with EH walking backwards to copy a scene is episode 2 where 15 year old LSY was walking backward facing 15 year old HJW after their first kiss in the bus. When they started filming YC actually kept telling EH that he loved her very much and seemed to have fallen in love with her long before Episode 13, maybe around episode 8 and he was asking EH when she realized she was falling in love with him but EH demurely refused to give him an answer. Although, they did not make an NG, the director asked to do 2 more retakes of the scene. Neither YC nor EH minded doing the retakes because they were having the time of their lives acting like any normal couple happily sharing a stroll and teasing each other especially since there were no microphones anywhere near them so they could just do and say anything without anyone knowing any better and without raising suspicions from onlookers who lived in the area they were filming at.

The filming of the scene where they were walking while holding hands and talking to each other, this time with dialogues, was also filmed without  NG’s but they also had to do a couple of takes and retakes. YC could not stop smiling and never once released EH’s hand even during the short filming breaks before the takes and while walking back to their starting points during retakes. The thing that made both YC and EH amazed but thankful was that nobody seemed to take note of how they acted outside filming, not even the onlookers, everyone around them seemed to take their closeness in stride and not make a big fuzz about it.

The last scene to be filmed before the lunch break was the KISS scene. They were told that they will be filming one close-up shot and then one zoom out or long shot. It was a happy scene and HJW was teasing LSY before the kiss so YC will be smiling as he pulled EH in for a kiss. YC was thoroughly looking forward to this kiss scene because it would be the most true-to-life kiss he will ever have in this drama. This kind of kiss would have been the natural progression after their confession to each other last night if only EH was not half-asleep; it was going to be full of happiness and tenderness mixed with suppressed passion. After the PD-nim explained the scene YC reached for EH’s hand and simply asked her: “You trust me to make this scene work and not take advantage of you, right?” EH nodded her head and answered: “Of course I trust you.” YC then said: “Follow my lead, okay.” EH smiled and naughtily replied: “Yah, I know you can kiss and kiss very well too.” Making YC blush and press that hand he was holding tightly. EH enjoyed the sight of a flustered PYC.

The close up shot was filmed, again, without NG, but both happily obliged when the PD-nim asked for a couple more retakes before filming the long shot. It fact, both YC and EH even asked each other if the PD-nim was just giving them an excuse to kiss without making the onlookers suspicious. Not wanting to look a gift horse on the face, they just gave their full emotions to the kiss. YC and EH also knew that there was no way that they will be faking their kiss for the long shot, they would be taking advantage of every excuse to hold hands and kiss as well as savor every moment they could grab for themselves for very soon enough, they would be having few opportunities to openly hug, hold hands and kiss.

After filming the kiss scene the PD-nim called for a filming break for lunch and they all proceeded to where YC’s fans had a hot meal for lunch awaiting them. It was very obvious to anyone with eyes that YC was extremely happy and cheerful, a lot more than he usually was. EH also looked radiant and equally happy. Both were glowing and everyone who saw them was smiling along with them happy to share their joy.

After the lunch break they filmed the scene in the truck where HJW and LSY were being playful and sharing their dreams for the future. It took the rest of the afternoon to film this but for YC and EH, except for the dialogue, this was as realistic a scene as the kiss scene. The basic premise of LSY’s dream was exactly how simple a future married life EH was hoping for, the same was true for YC; HJW’s simple dream was also what he wanted in his future married life. The scene was so natural that the PD-nim and the rest of the crew complemented them. In fact, the whole filming they did that day did not seem like work to YC and EH it was really more of a date; an opportunity to ‘date’ out in the open without raising any suspicions or dating rumors because they had the excuse of filming to back them up.

When they returned to the lodge compound, PD-nim decided, that they could still squeeze in the filming of the scene of HJW talking to Det. Joo on the phone about his father before proceeding to film the evening shoots inside the lodge. YC waited inside the lodge with EH while the camera was being set up outside for the filming of his solo scene. He reluctantly left EH’s side to film his scene with the tender reminder for EH to take a rest so she would not be exhausted when they filmed their indoor scenes.

After filming of the drinking and singing scene as well as the scene of LSY going out of the bathroom with a towel in her hand as HJW was staring at her and the scene of HJW covering the scar on her foot and then their having a conversation, filming for the day was wrapped up. As if it was a normal routine, YC and EH proceeded to the living room and sat on the sofa in front of the fireplace while their staff members prepared hot cocoa for them before they all left to go to their respective sleeping quarters. They called out their goodnights and then YC Manager as well as MSM reminded the lovebirds, now engrossed in each other and talking in a low voice, not to stay up so late and try to get some sleep so they will be well rested for the next morning’s shoot, especially YC who had a slightly earlier call time than EH. Both answered with an absent-minded nod and a goodnight wave to acknowledge that they heard the reminder.

Now alone in the living room, YC pulled a blanket over them and reached out to place his arm around EH and gently lay her head on his shoulder as he stretched them out to lay them down comfortably on the large sofa, EH on the inner side of the sofa with her back towards the back rest of the sofa facing YC and YC at the outer part with his back towards the fireplace facing EH. They started to share their imagery of the wedding they would want and the married and family life they dreamed of having, not surprised that they, more or less, had similar views. The slight variations and differences could be easily managed. They continued talking until they both fell asleep, comfortable in the warmth of each other’s nearness and the genuine love that could not be denied.