CHAPTER XXXVIII – The Start of a New Beginning

Decision - A Turning Point

 

YEH woke up with a deep sense of joy. It was officially the first day of her being able to happily and proudly say: “I am in a relationship!” and to such a wonderful man. She finally felt that she fell in love at the right time with the right man and she was so thankful for this awesome blessing from God. Although YEH was usually a person who loved to stretch and roll around in bed before becoming fully awake and getting up, she quickly got up and did her morning absolutions before starting the day.

 

She met a happily humming and smiling MSM in her kitchen. YEH hoped that when she reveals her relationship with YC with her family and close friends, she will be receiving or seeing the same kind of happy smiles from them too. She had promised YC the night before that she would immediately arrange for him to meet her parents and Bansuk and this was her first priority. After a light breakfast of Hot Chocolate, a fluffy Spanish omelet, toast and Fresh Orange Juice; YEH called her Mom and asked if her Dad and Bansuk were home. Having confirmed this, she asked her Mom to put the phone on speaker mode so that she can share her news with them at the same time.

Still feeling a bit shy but truly happy YEH excitedly informed them: “Appa, Eomma, Bansuk, YC kept his promise and was here at exactly 12 midnight this morning with his Namdongsaeng, YooHwan, and his Eomoni! I couldn’t get over the fact that YC brought his Mom over and we got to know each other a little bit better. Eomeonim is such an elegant and kind lady; she was so nice to me. She seems to approve and accept me as YC’s Yoja Chingu. Oh…I forget to tell you that YC is now officially my Namja Chingu.”

Mommy Yoon: “Oh…Euh Hye-ya, are you happy? Do you think he is THE ONE?”

Daddy Yoon: “Don’t  mind your Eomoni, she is just excited, you do not need to hurry to make a serious decision right now, it is too early.”

YEH:  “Actually Appa, YC wants to meet all of you at the earliest possible date convenient to all three of you. Just tell me when and I will either bring him home with me or we can arrange to meet somewhere else.”

Bansuk: “Noona, YC hyeong seems to be an awful hurry to meet us, you just became officially a couple today, don’t you think it’s too soon.”

YEH: “Aya…Bansuk, we may have just become an official couple today but it feels as if we’ve been together for some time now because we really started having strong feelings for each other while filming ‘Missing You’; that is why I insisted that we needed to back off from each other after filming to make sure of our feelings. I wanted us to have a month or so away from each other but YC insisted on 2 weeks, so, here we are now.”

YEH continued: “YC really wants to formally meet you. I don’t know what he plans to say to you but he is pretty determined that it be soon, so when can we visit you? Are you all free anytime next week? I figure that since his Eomma was a witness of our becoming a couple, he does not want you to feel left out.”

Daddy Yoon: “Let’s make it a weekday so that there are less people around our neighborhood to notice your visit. Your Eomma and I are free for dinner on Thursday, how about you Bansuk?”

Bansuk: “For Noona, I will definitely make sure that I am here.”

YEH: “Okay, I’ll check back with you as soon as YC and I check our individual schedules. I’ll try to clear my schedule for Thursday so that I can come home early and help Eomma prepare dinner. I love you guys so much. See you soon!”

 

As soon as YEH cut the connection, Daddy Yoon, Mommy Yoon and Bansuk looked at each other with conflicting emotions on their faces. They were all happy for YEH but they also knew that building, strengthening and keeping a relationship is difficult enough between 2 ordinary people but between 2 famous celebrities it would be twice or even more times difficult. If their fandoms are against the relationship, it would be very unpleasant for them. They have heard a lot of good things about YC and they were impressed that YC brought his Eomma to meet YEH formally as his Yoja Chingu the first hour it happened. It showed that he was serious with his intentions towards YEH. They hoped and prayed that YC and their YEH will be given a change to grow as a couple and that they are each the partner that God created to be with each other.

 

After consulting with MSM about arranging her schedule to ensure that the coming Thursday would be a free day for her, YEH called YC to ask him if he could also free up his schedule on Thursday to meet her family.

 

After sending YEH a mischievous SMS first thing after he woke up saying: “Good morning Jagiya, did you dream about me? This is your Namja Chingu reporting in on our first day as an official couple. Send me a SMS or better yet give me a call as soon as you wake up.” YC got up and couldn’t wait to give JJ and JS his awesome news he was sure that they would be happy for him and maybe a little envious too. Making a conference call he soon had JJ and JS on the line.

YC excited blurted out: “JS, JJ hyeong I made it official first hour this morning. YEH is now officially my Yoja Chingu!”

The silence on the line was deafening making YC think that they got disconnected. About to check the connection, a burst of shouts suddenly exploded as JJ and JS both cheered and started talking and asking questions at the same time.

YC smiling said: “Guys, guys, lower the volume and don’t talk at the same time; I can’t understand what you guys are saying.”

JJ: “Congratulations Soulmate! I must admit that I am not surprised that you boldly made a move toward YEH-ssi, it was so obvious that you ‘liked’ her an awful lot during the 2012 MBC Drama Awards Night. You stuck to her like super-glue, as if you did not want anyone, male or female, to claim the spot beside her. I was so amused when your plan got foiled by a staff member who positioned YJG between the two of you.” Jokingly JJ continued: “I’m disappointed though, I thought YEH-ssi had better taste than to choose you.”

JS: “Congratulations YC! I heard about your seeming interest in YEH-ssi from JJ hyeong but I had not thought you would progress this fast.”

YC: “Yay, it would have been faster if I could have convinced my jagiya that I was sincere about my feelings for her sooner. I was forced to take a break from contacting her in any way for two weeks just to reassure her that I would not have a change of heart. We’re keeping it under wraps for the time being though, until we are sure that our loved ones are protected. I want to make sure that our relationship would not affect YEH in a negative way from both our fandoms, besides I want to protect her from our saesang fans; I don’t want her hurt emotional, mentally or physically by them.”

YC continued: “Anyway, I just wanted you guys to be the first to know about it after my Eomma and YH. I’ll tell you all about it when we see each other okay. I gotta go, I’m waiting for a SMS but hoping for the first phone call of YEH as my Yoja Chingu. See you soon.”

Cutting of the connection YC did his morning absolutions and exited his room, his mobile phone in hand, to see what he can have for breakfast.

 

 

Hearing his mobile phone ringing YC checked the screen for caller ID and broke into a wide grin as soon as he saw his ae-in’s name. Answering it immediately he jokingly said: “Yay, Ms. YEH, what took you so long to answer your Namja Chingu’s text message? Didn’t you miss me? I think we should make it a policy that we always exchange greetings first thing in the morning and before going to sleep at night every day without fail. Of course, if you want to call or send a SMS during the day that would really make my day.”

Stunned by YC’s greeting but happy to hear YC’s y voice, YEH answered with aegyo: “YC-nie I’m so sorry ae-in but I had other priorities…I needed to call my parents and Bansuk to arrange your visit. Of course I dreamed of you, who else will I dream of…well…maybe George Clooney or Brad Pitt…jo-oke…” Laughing out loud YEH continued: “Did you sleep well? Are you as happy as I am this morning?”

YC lovingly answered: “I’m not only happy but ecstatic! Finally, the woman I love has affirmed her love for me too! I don’t need to be afraid that another man will steal you away from me. The only thing that will make me happier is to be able to announce to the whole world that we are a couple and belong to each other.”

YEH was blushing profusely and answered honestly: “YC, jagiya, thank you so much for loving me and having the strength and patience to make me believe in your love, to have faith in your sincerity. Now, I can assure you that you have all my love, fidelity, loyalty and trust. In every circumstance, I will only believe in you and nobody else. This is my vow to you.”

YC: ‘Aw…honey, I do love you so much and I will always be honest and truthful to you. I will NEVER cheat on you. I can’t see or hear any other woman but you.”

Suddenly remembering the purpose of her call YEH said: “Honey, I just talked to my parents and Bansuk, do you think you can clear up your schedule for this coming Thursday evening? They will all be home then. I cleared my schedule and will go there early to help my Mom prepare dinner so you can finally taste something that I cooked personally. What do you think?”

YC answered: “I’ll clear my schedule, I asked to meet them so it would only be proper for me to make myself available when they are.”

YEH: “Okay, I’ll call my family and confirm the dinner with them. I’ll send you their address and directions to get there.”

YC:  “Hey, I’m going over there later tonight to spend some time with you while our schedules are relatively light and we are still basically considered ‘on vacation’. I heard from MSM that you have some scheduled overseas activities and a vacation as well. We need to spend quality time together and built up happy memories to tide us over when we both start getting busy and could not see each other personally as often as we would like.”

YEH: “Okay, do you think you can make it for dinner here? I’ll cook something for you.”

YC: “Chincha? You’ll cook for me? I’ll be there as early as I can. I’ll call to give you a definitive time as soon as I confirm my schedule for the day.”

YEH: “Okay, I gotta go, I have to go to the grocery store to buy what I need for the meal I am planning to prepare for you. See you later, honey. I love you.”

Not waiting for a reply, YEH cuts off the connection with a smile on her face.

 

YC had a silly smile on his own face; he was anticipating eating the first meal that YEH will prepare for him that evening. Jumping to his feet, he was fully energized to start his day so that the time for him to see YEH will come soon.

 

Dinner that night was a huge success, they were able to make definite plans for dinner with YEH’s family on Thursday and was able to start a new routine in the daily life of PYC and YEH. Since they could not freely go out on a date yet, they spent their time indoors, mostly in YEH’s house but PYC also brought YEH to his home to spend time with Mama Park and YH so that they could get to know each other a lot better. They also always started and ended the day with a SMS and, whenever possible, video called each other.

 

It was the day to visit YEH’s parents, Mama Park was busy helping prepare gifts for YC to bring over with him. He was excited but nervous as well. He wanted to be able to have the honor to rightfully and officially call YEH his ae-in but was not sure if YEH’s parents would accept him for YEH. He needed to show Daddy Yoon and Mommy Yoon of the sincerity of his feelings for their precious daughter, YEH; to prove that he would take care and protect YEH to the best of his abilities; that he will always be there to support her in the good and bad times in her life and career; and, most of all, that she will always be his first priority, along with his family and career. Mama Park noticing YC’s tension said: “Uri YC-ah, why are you so tense, all you need to be is yourself and they will see how much you care for their daughter. I see how much you love YEH just by noticing how naturally tender and loving you are around her. They have a good, happy and stable marriage, they will be able to feel your sincerity and love for their daughter; you need not say a word. They are good people who raised a wonderful treasure of a daughter, they will take into consideration that YEH chose you to be her Namja Chinju, that alone is a point in your favor.”

YC: “Mom, I understand what you are saying but I can’t help feeling nervous. I know my jagiya said that they approve of me but I’ll only feel at ease after I can reassure them and convince them that I love YEH so much and that I would NEVER allow anyone, myself included, to hurt her.”

Mama Park patted YC’s cheek and said: “I know you and I trust EH, you will be able to win their approval because your love for each other shines through whenever you are together.”

 

As arranged, YC arrived at YEH’s home on the late afternoon of Thursday, using his manager’s car; dressed in black slacks, a light blue designer shirt but donning sun glasses and a baseball cap, to avoid being noticed and followed by his fans; YEH met him at the door, took some of the gifts he brought with him and led him to the living room where Daddy Yoon, Mommy Yoon and Ban Suk sat in comfortable conversation while waiting for him. They all stood with warm and welcoming smiles on their lips, although YC noticed that Ban Suk’s smile was a bit guarded. YEH introduced YC saying: “Dad, Mom and Ban Suk I’d like to introduce you to the man I love and who I truly believe loves me back, Park Yoo Chun.” EH then laid down YC’s gifts on the living room table.

Dumbfounded by YEH’s cheeky introduction, YC gave a deep bow and stammered: “Uhm…go…good afternoon.” Then gathering his wits, continued: “I am Park Yoo Chun and I would like to formally ask for your approval with regards to my dating your beloved daughter, YEH, and being her Namja Chinju.”

Daddy Yoon answered with a smile: “Son, relax, we won’t bite you. Let’s just have a quiet and comfortable day of getting to know each other. We have heard a lot of good things about you from several people and we are thankful that you are showing us your respect by visiting us to formally talk about your thoughts about your relationship with our daughter, YEH.”

Mommy Yoon then says: “Why don’t you have a seat here, between Daddy Yoon and Ban Suk while EH and I bring out some drinks and snacks so that we can have a nice conversation before partaking of the meal that EH and I prepared.”

YC, reaching for one of the gifts he brought over said: “Ma’am, maybe you can add this to the dinner if it will fit the menu.”

Mommy Yoon accepting YC’s gift and passing it on to EH answered: “Thank you, I will do that.”

Daddy Yoon turns to Mommy Yoon and says: “Yobo, I think we, men, should go to the den so we can have a talk in private while you and EH prepare the drinks and snacks just call us back here when everything is ready.

Mommy Yoon: “Okay, Yobo, let’s do that.”

Inside the den, Daddy Yoon invited YC to sit in one of the set of 6 comfortable arm chairs arranged around a circular table before taking the one opposite YC and Ban Suk taking the arm chair between YC and him.

Daddy Yoon: “Well son, I heard you wanted to talk to me. I’m more than ready to listen.”

YC answered: “Sir, I know how precious EH-shi is to you and the rest of your family. I would like to have your approval to date her and assure you that I have marriage in mind in the future. I need to do my Military Service starting late next year and, although my asthma is preventing me from doing the regular MS, I will be working in a military office. I am hoping that EH and I can arrange a wedding within six months to a year after my release from MS.”

Seeing Daddy Yoon and Ban Suk seriously listening to him, YC continues: “If it were up to me alone, I would like to make an announcement of our relationship as soon as possible but to protect YEH’s career interests as well as protect her from whatever backlash from fans, we need to keep our relationship a secret until we have reasonably arranged everything so as to diminish, if not totally erase, any negative results to EH when we make our relationship public.”

“I love and cherish your daughter, sir. As much as you think she is a treasure in your lives, she is as precious to me. I see her as my future bride and the future mother of my children and, as thus, I place her above my own life. I know that EH is an independent thinking woman and I will support her in everything she decides to do with regards to her career. I promise that all decisions that will affect us and our relationship will be made jointly. I will protect her in everything, even if she sometimes stubbornly thinks she does not need protecting.” YC noticed that this brought a smile to Daddy Yoon and Ban Suk’s face and continues: “I will never consciously, intentionally or knowingly hurt her and, if I ever realize that I have unintentionally hurt her in any way or form, I will not only apologize but will make reparation for doing so.”

Ban Suk cuts in: “Hyeong, I hope you don’t spoil noona too much. Don’t put her in a pedestal because she may have feet of clay and you may be disappointed.”

YC answered BS saying: “BS, I honestly believe that your noona will not abuse my acts of loving and caring for her. She is very kind and understanding and is always thinking of the need of others before her own; but I also realize that my ae-in is human and so is not perfect. I just want to assure you that I will always try my utmost to understand her.” BS nods his head in seeming approval.

Daddy Yoon: “Son, I have heard a lot of good things about you and after hearing what you have to say, I think I can entrust my beloved daughter to you. Please call me Abeonim and Mommy Yoon, Eomeonim. I will hold you to all the promises you made to me today. Thank you for cherishing and loving my daughter very much. To be honest, even without you saying anything, we all could see how much you love EH from the way you look at her.”

 

As soon as Daddy Yoon finished his talk, EH knocked on the door of the den, opened the door and said: “Is the inquisition over Dad? I hope you did not make my ae-in suffer too much. The drinks and snacks are ready and Mom is about to serve it in the living room so you better come quickly.”

 

YC noticed how quickly the Yoon men moved to go to the living room with a smile on his face. YEH walked toward him to give him a hug and ask: “Well, how did it go? Did my Dad and BS interrogate you?” YC answered: “Actually, I did all the talking and they just listened patiently. They gave their approval ae-in. We are now really an official couple!” Giving YC a wink EH answered: “Did you ever doubt it? You should have known that I had your back.”

 

They left the den holding each other's hand with a happy smile on their faces to the approval of the Yoon family members waiting for them by the den door. The Yoons, EH and YC had a warm and comfortable time getting to know each other while partaking of their snack and, later that evening, a sumptuous family dinner.